Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Reccomendation for garage to replace 03 l322 head unit?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
simonday

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
Reccomendation for garage to replace 03 l322 head unit?

HI - looking for places and quotes to replace an 03 L322 sat nav unit with a new one which has modern capabilities. Not bothered about reversing cameras but would be a bonus. I have read threads on here re how to do it, but im simly not brave nor mechanical enough to undertake this.

Thanks

Simon

Post #461005 16th Dec 2017 1:00am
ohuntsman

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

We had ours done at John Kleis in Reading, good selection of stereos and sat navs. We opted to go for an apple car play one so we can use apple maps for sat nav and all our music is in our phones anyway.

Really good guys, super helpful - it took a day to do. They have a hatchback courtesy car as well - nothing special.

Rather than strip our all the old wiring from a previous job they had mapped everything from front to back so they cut off and soldered on at each end and fitted a small amp in the boot given the upgraded system and the rear sub. There is chat of fibre optic - they can tell you that with a two minute look in the boot (FO can be troublesome)

Many forum members have fitted an android head unit themselves- Haylands did a good write up.

Do you have a fuel burning heater? that might cause an issue with removing the control panel! but I'm sure there is a work around and those guys could help.

Post #461011 16th Dec 2017 8:35am
simonday

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

Thanks so much. Im a bit of novice re RR's so im not sure about FO or fuel burning heater units (sorry). Basically ive seen an 03 l322 autobiography LE im keen on but my issue the dated ICE. I dont own CD's or tapes and the Sat Nav screen is pixilated so im keen to change it if possible but not loose the Harmen Kardon sound nor jeapordise anything else that standard. Im guessing you can buy 2nd hand or replacement original units? Is this a better idea? Or would you upgrade? May i be rude and ask how much it cost for yours and what it now gives you?

Post #461014 16th Dec 2017 9:20am
ohuntsman

Have you got a diesel or a Petrol? If you have one Autobiography from that year it is possible that you have a fuel burning heater. You can check the options using the VIN by calling your local dealer, or online https://osh.landrover.com/register

I don't know how to tell if there is fibre optic or not but if you pop in they will tell you.

I've got the unit that they removed and would sell it if you're interested. The radio was a but spotty ( which was an aerial issue ) it needed a new and the CD changer didn't connect.

We got something similar to this and John Kleis fitted it for ~£1000 with lifetime warranty on fitting.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-aud...le+CarPlay

It has Carplay so when you plug in your apple phone you basically have your phone on the screen, can take calls, voice sms, play itunes, spotify and amazon prime music and do apple maps which we've had a brilliant experience with so far.

If you do have a fuel burning heater there is probably a work around to control it without the original screen Thumbs Up

John Kleis would help you there

(update your profile with the type of FFRR you have it makes it a lot easier for forum members to answer questions Smile )

Post #461050 16th Dec 2017 3:52pm
Paulus1978

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Personally, I've fitted a phone cradle and burnt a bunch of music to CDR. I would hate to lose the functionally otherwise excellent head unit just for the sake of the function my phone cancompensate for.

Post #461085 16th Dec 2017 10:28pm
ohuntsman

Hi Paulus - is the same unit in the '08 as the '03? I think you may have had an upgraded version in your's?

Also simon mentioned his was damaged Big Cry

I find that the head unit we have now is far superior to what we had originally - it is a lot easier to use on the go, the steering wheel controls operate in and SWBO has no problems using it - she refused to use the old unit. Have we lost a couple of features - yes but nothing that we notice Thumbs Up

Post #461127 17th Dec 2017 12:03pm
Paulus1978

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I honestly couldn't tell you, this is my first FFRR, so i'm a total novice at what isn't in my vehicle. I have a touchscreen with reversing camera, and buttons for Nav, Audio, 4x4 Information, phone, trip information

Here's a shot of my interior, hope that helps.

Post #461134 17th Dec 2017 1:09pm
ohuntsman

'02 and '03 didn't have those cool features Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #461144 17th Dec 2017 2:30pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

02-05 were not fibre optic. From MY 2005 (rolled out late 2004) the system was MOST, ie. fibre optics. Paulus' 2008 3.6 is fibre optic so quite different. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #461150 17th Dec 2017 3:34pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

If your screen looks like this......

It is the early, non-touch screen BMW system, and is easy to upgrade cheaply.....

But if your screen looks like this..

You have the later MOST touch screen system, which is fibreoptic and more expensive to upgrade Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #461155 17th Dec 2017 4:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1