Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Orders (L405) > Anyone going for MY18 hybrid or moving away from Diesel?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Pixelpower

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

Moving from a 3.0 TDV6 I could potentially have chosen any engine. Wouldn't consider the hybrid as I don't like the idea of running on a 4 cylinder most of the time. The 4.4 is less refined than my 3.0 and a little nose heavy in my experience. Went for the 5.0SC in the end and this is a great balance of agility, performance and refinement. I guess I value refinement above performance as the 3.0 is plenty quick enough for me. The 3.0 is a great engine, just couldn't do the same again. Residuals should also be OK on the SC now - after 5 years the road tax is the same as the diesels.

Post #464968 18th Jan 2018 7:10am
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

I did the same as Pixelpower for exactly the same reasons...... Although I want refinement and quiet in the cabin, speed and performance are not really of any great importance, as long as they're adequate.

I dismissed the Hybrid as I sat in one with the engine running during my recent trip to Solihull. I found the engine sound a bit rough and I've also heard people say that with similar hybrids, they're only getting half of the claimed electric range in the real world!

Post #465010 18th Jan 2018 2:29pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Considering that hybrids tend to match neither their range or fuel consumption claims under real world conditions, will this be the next "demonisation program" for the media, that is, once their readership have grown bored with them persecuting diesels?

I imagine that they'll want to build hybrids up a lot more first, before knocking them down again! Rolling Eyes

Post #465016 18th Jan 2018 4:11pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

My mum just got a new yaris hybrid 2 weeks ago and MPG is no where near the 3.6l/100 promised , 7l/100km so far, might be going back. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Last edited by dolph34 on 18th Jan 2018 8:19pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #465027 18th Jan 2018 7:29pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Red Merle wrote:

I imagine that they'll want to build hybrids up a lot more first, before knocking them down again! Rolling Eyes

Everything you still have to pour fuel into will be hybrid soon, just a shame that the RR seems a bit of a bodge with compromises like the raised boot floor and lower towing weight.

Have to say that I prefer Porsche's approach with the Panamera (and, soon, Cayenne) Turbo S E-Hybrid - 670 bhp & 627 lb/ft...

Post #465034 18th Jan 2018 8:07pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

Hybrid cars are only useful if you use them just for nipping to the shops, comuting a few miles a day around the city etc.

The engines are designed as a 'just in case'

If you are planning on doing loads of motorway miles / European trips etc then a hybrid would be useless -
un-economical and slow.

Tesla are dominating the electric car market and currently their product cannot be matched by any other manufacturer in my opinion - loads of range on a single charge, very high performance, very quick charging points all over Europe. The cars even tell you when they need to be charged whilst on a journey and will plan your route around charging point stops.

Other manufactures are just being left behind....

Post #465062 18th Jan 2018 11:01pm
Philip

I wouldn’t bet on Tesla long-term - they just got to market first.

Far easier for an existing brand to invest in battery/motor technology, than for a newcomer to build from scratch everything else that comes with an established manufacturer.

Post #465065 18th Jan 2018 11:26pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I think Tesla will probably be fine - but only if there isn't a stock market crash. Right now it's market cap is the same as BMW. It's total production to date is less a 10th of BMW's in a year.

Investors are betting that it is a land grab (a la Amazon) and so are prepared to fund his $4bn of cash burn per annum for the foreseeable future. If/When he gets Model 3 production running at speed, his cash burn will dwindle.

The supercharger network is also a significant competitive advantage. If you ask US Tesla owners about the, say, Jaguar i-Pace, they all ask where will you charge it one the road (quietly ignoring the fact that 60% of charging happens at home). I've had a Tesla for a few months and 2,500miles. Never charged it away from home.

But you are right, Tesla needs to learn to build cars, brand, loyalty, infrastructure before mainstream manufacturers learn to build electric cars.

Post #465156 19th Jan 2018 6:34pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

Speaks volumes on the range though if you've never had to charge it away from home.

If and when the model 3 becomes readily available, ie they are able to keep up with the demand, I recon it will dominate the mid size company car market as companies will be falling over themselves for them if for nothing more than the 'green' status. Especially as they appear to be priced similar to vw golfs, bmw 1 series etc.

Post #465161 19th Jan 2018 7:43pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

The dash says c270 miles of range when charged to 90% (they don't recommend fully charging it unless you are on a road trip). Lowest we ever dropped it to is about 50 miles. It comes home and is plugged in. Pretty much always full every morning.

Post #465219 20th Jan 2018 9:43am
elmer

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Hello everyone. I have had a RR tdv8 for 10 years and although I am still very happy the time has come to change it. I wanted another RR and I decided for the RR p400e PHEV. I ordered it in December 2017 and I hope it will be delivered to me in April 2018. I think that buying a new car now thinking that we will have it for a period of 10 years should be a decision thinking in the future.Important and intelligent decision. I live in Barcelona, Spain and the council is already talking about the next prohibitions to enter in the center of the city of cars that are not electric or PHEV. It is also important the issue of pollution. On the other hand I am very confident that land rover has been able to choose a good combination of electric and petro engine.I think 300 cv + 104 cc is a good decision. Surely I would leave more quiet if it were a 6-cylinder engine, but ...
I would like to read a good, current and complete test of the vehicle but I can not find anyI am very happy with the purchase and I hope I was not wrong.
regards

elmer

Post #469554 21st Feb 2018 12:02pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Look on Youtube for tests and reviews.

Type in search box "Range Rover 2018"

Post #469597 21st Feb 2018 5:27pm
whippetman

My thoughts are that diesel LR will be virtually worthless within the next few years.
Best chop in sooner than later for BM ,Porsche or Polestar Hybrid then await newer technology in a year or so.
Just my 2cents....
I’m leaving JLR asap...MD and Electric problems just done me over!

Post #565302 23rd Aug 2020 8:44pm
Philip

New diesels are still being developed and brought to market - I think the Euro 6 stuff still has a few years left.

Post #565308 23rd Aug 2020 10:00pm
Boatmechanic

Sweden 
5-6 years left for Diesel engines according to Volvo Cars

https://www.motor1.com/news/309040/volvo-l...l-engines/

Post #565322 24th Aug 2020 9:42am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>