Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Advice on new windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bill

United Kingdom 
Advice on new windscreen

I have to contact the insurance co after my windscreen developed a 9 inch crack following a stone on the M20

What do I need to do /watch out for to make sure I get the right screen
And
Fitted to all the right connections for heating etc

And
Watching out to ensure there are no leaks etc

I’m sure it will be a professional co but still need to be aware of pitfalls

Comment appreciated

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #472240 12th Mar 2018 9:46am
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Specify a genuine LR replacement screen rather than an 'own make' and ensure the heated screen works in all area's afterwards but I'm not sure how to check. Maybe get it all steamed up inside Embarassed and then turn it on to see!

Post #472241 12th Mar 2018 9:51am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Agree - you want a Pilkington - my ins co hooked me up with Autoglass and they were fine with that request - said it would take an extra few days to source and I agreed.

With mine they connected the heated screen incorrectly - but the second guy they sent fixed it in 10 mins. There are apparently 2 sets of identical connectors - one set just does the wiper area and the other the whole screen. He tested it with his hand - you can feel the screen heat up - no need to take the kettle out and steam it up Thumbs Up

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39554.html

Post #472250 12th Mar 2018 11:18am
Chalky

United Kingdom 
Re: Advice on new windscreen

Unnecessary quote removed

Sounds like you had a pretty crap weekend Bill, what with a dire display by England rugby and a cracked windscreen, a bit of a bummer !! Big Cry Crying or Very sad

Post #472251 12th Mar 2018 11:21am
Bill

United Kingdom 

Thanks Andy Alister and Chalky

I was looking forward to inviting the girlfriend for a steam generating session, might be safer to plug my fingers into the electric as suggested !

Let’s say the weekend could of been better... but good time had by one and all anyway. Hopefully spotted La Plod before they spotted moi. An English merc wasn’t so lucky on Sunday morning.

Pilkington verywell noted. Thumbs Up

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #472252 12th Mar 2018 11:35am
Tooltime79

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

The other way to check it works is using a themal image camera - you can see the gap in the middle showing the two heating elements. Bit OTT, but if you have access to one is very easy to check operation! I had actually borrowed one to test if my heated washer jets were working but it also captured the screen heater.

Post #472274 12th Mar 2018 2:35pm
Mariana Black

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Mariana Black

Hi
Had my windscreen replaced by National Windscreen and mentioned about wanting a genuine RR. They said since they are not genuine dealers they cannot fit this but their version is identical. On looking before fitting I can see that they were correct Smile . The numbers I checked were all the same the work Pilkington was in the same place. The main difference was where the original stated Range Rover this one had a black box covering it with the Pilkington logo in the middle Surprised .

All was good until the bad weather when I found I only had half the screen working. I returned my RR and I watched them take the A pillar cover off and watched them check the screen. There was no power at the wires. OK I thought the fuse had gone. After they spoke to a Land-rover dealer they were told where the fuses were. 2 off 40A in the engine compartment - one for each side = BOTH were OK Big Cry

I had to show the guy how to check the resistance with his multimeter and the screen was OK. I was stuck. It was now my word against theirs saying it was OK when I took it in - now it is not working and sadly all they could say was there was no power.

I joined TOPIX to look for a wiring diagram - found one and it was just as I thought - I now believe I have a break within the wiring loom - don't know how but very cheesed off.

Its now three months down the line and ever-time the heater is needed I get cross Evil or Very Mad
Any suggestion?

Sorry for the rant - I choose this dealership as this is where my insurance recommended and the local dealer closer to me they would not cover.

3.0 Autobiography 14M5

Post #472499 13th Mar 2018 8:35pm
Alistair

Depends whether it annoys you enough to pay another windscreen excess........ let’s just hope you don’t crack it and need another new one Whistle

Post #472519 13th Mar 2018 9:46pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Horror story Mr Black... I’m getting national windscreens as insurance co’s choice. I’m sure all depots are different, well I hope so!

If I can source /borrow a camera easily, will do so thanks tool time

EDIT
blow me down. All booked yesterday for Monday and suddenly thinking today I’m going to check this again....

Despite requesting RR they ordered look a like part- almost certainly Pilkimgton.
However
No real issue other than short delay, as they seek authorisation from insurers for any car under three years for
main dealer part. He said almost certainly will be approved . I’m not sure it matters that much but asking non the less

Post #472563 14th Mar 2018 10:48am
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

On my screen (lower left corner, when facing forward) I can see the Land Rover oval, Pilkinton name, E mark, model number and other data.

A digital photo supplied with the insurance claim *SHOULD* ensure an identical replacement.

If your vehicle doesn't have this (or that part of the screen is in little pieces on the ground) here is what is currently on mine -

. Land-
. -Rover
PILKINGTON
E1 43R-001588
>PVB< CCC E000202
AS1-M1260-DOT682

Additionally the screen has a black mask painted on the inside that goes all around the perimeter and behind the mirror. This has 'windows' for the light and rains sensors and for the VIN included. There is a green tint across the top with a 'limit of tint' marking just below it on the left side.

And here is what Land Rover says it should be -

Pilkington 7033AGAGNHMV6T (Landrover CMB500030) -
LANDROVER RANGE ROVER 5J 2002-ON WINDSCREEN-GREEN+ACOUSTIC+GREEN TOP TINT+HEATED+VIN+MOISTURE SENSOR+ROUND BOSS

bye. 2003 TD6, EGR delete, vortex crankcase breather update, performance chip, UHF 2 way, Android head unit, crash camera on dash, always-on rear view camera to mirror screen, LED DRL`s, Electric trailer brake controller. FSR replaced. Pulling 3T caravan all about Australia

Post #472656 14th Mar 2018 11:08pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Thanks BG I’m on it and they are ordering a RR part, although a regular pilington would of been ok

Thanks

Post #472688 15th Mar 2018 10:42am
Alistair

Not entirely sure what the difference is - mine is only a Pilkington. I couldn’t tell any difference between it and the original screen.

Post #472699 15th Mar 2018 12:10pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

I don’t think there is any... other than under warranty and I’m trying to avoid any questions should something not work in a years time... so just being prissy really Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #472700 15th Mar 2018 12:27pm
AMD

United Kingdom 

I had a crack on my OEM windscreen on collection of the car. LR sent National Windscreens out to replace with another OEM screen.

Now only half the windscreen heats. LR are collecting the car next week to replace it again.....seems to be a common problem!! Current MY2020
Gone: 1 x L405 and 2 x L322's

Post #472960 17th Mar 2018 6:34pm
Mariana Black

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Mariana Black

Hi AMD
Have you had any reply back from the main dealer?
Please post any replies.
Many thanks Question

Post #473723 24th Mar 2018 6:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>