Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > PUT UNLEADED FUEL IN 3.6TDV8, Cant find much info - thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluegreygreen Rangie

Australia 
PUT UNLEADED FUEL IN 3.6TDV8, Cant find much info - thoughts

So last night i filled up with fuel at the servo... i did think it smelt a bit like unleaded at the time but did not think much beyond that, I get half a kilometer down the road and car stops... after much cranking it re starts and goes another couple hundred meters and this process happens about 4 times when i decided that i must have put unleaded fuel in the car.... i get out and take fuel cap off and sure smells like unleaded

Long story short i go back to servo and find out that unleaded fuel is coming out from the diesel bowser... yep i know absolutely unbelievable but this Mobil outfit had some how managed to do it

I already have drained the fuel and purged diesel thru and have the car running but even though i drove only a short distance i am very concerned if there could be even minor damage caused... there was very little diesel in the fuel tank when i put it in so it would be a very strong unleaded mixture that went thru the engine... Im thinking about hitting Mobil up for a new injector pump and injectors... and if they want to play games ill put the car into rane rover and have them swap these components out and give Mobil the bill, I guess what i want to know is there anyone who has done this or experts who understand the fuel pump and injectors on these well enough to know if there will already be damaged caused to these tight tolerance components which are normally lubricated by the diesel fuel

Im really angry... well im just worried that if i don't take action now in 6 months time ill have to replace the fuel pump etc at my own cost which would be rather dear

Dave 2010 TDV8 Autobiography

Past - 02 & 03 TD6 And an 1984 Classic

GAP Diagnostics

Post #472991 18th Mar 2018 3:48am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Very bad for a common rail diesel engine.

Post #472993 18th Mar 2018 8:22am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

As above - it's extremely likely that at the very least the Diesel Fuel Injection Pump will be severely damaged - they rely on the diesel as a lubricant.

A distant acquaintance did exactly the same with a new RR Sport last year, the engine and pump were severely damaged = £4K bill at the mainagent 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #472998 18th Mar 2018 9:55am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

My good lady wife once managed to fill one of our diesel vans with petrol one time , I drained the tank and filled with diesel and the van was 100% no issues whatsoever BUT that was our fault and not a great expense if it died 3 month down the line.
Not your fault so screw mobil for as much as you can at the advice of a nain dealer as to what needs doing
Good luck

Post #472999 18th Mar 2018 10:10am
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

I used to work as a contractor for a couple of landrover dealers years back when the TDV6 / TDV8 's first came out.

Misfueling was quite a common issue back then and a lot of owners had to make insurance claims for the repair as the dealers used to replace the tank, all fuel pumps and injectors. Not sure if this was 100% nessasary but I was told it was.

I'd be getting it booked in somewhere asap. Can't believe they had unleaded coming out of the diesel pump!

Post #473002 18th Mar 2018 10:14am
Spooky

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Big oops on the part of the fuel station! I'd imagine that they'd be liable for the damage, too - they certainly would be in the UK; surely Ox will be similar ...

Get it recovered to a reputable garage and obtain a report. Regards,
Mick

'Bertha' - 2014 SDV8 Autobigraphy
'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie' - 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #473024 18th Mar 2018 1:11pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

You didn't drive very far so Imo drain the tank, change the filters, and all should be fine.

I filled up my diesel estate with unleaded a few years back.
The AA here in the UK will do a drain for members. They used the cars own pump to empty the tank, replaced the fuel filter, and put some injector cleaner / lubricator in the tank. I think it was made by millers. I did a further 100k miles in that car without it missing a beat.

I do recall a friend doing the same on his BMW and the garage replacing the tank, pumps, filters and injectors.
This seems overkill to me and think it's just the dealer pulling your pants down.
Once it's all flushed I can see no reason why any further damage will result. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #473065 18th Mar 2018 10:33pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Given the circumstances, I'd find a local main dealer and have them quote.

I'd agree that if it were my fault, picking up the wrong filler, then I'd drain it & hope for the best, but this case is a bit different.

Post #473074 19th Mar 2018 7:45am
Mikey

Scotland 

Vogue wrote:
As above - it's extremely likely that at the very least the Diesel Fuel Injection Pump will be severely damaged - they rely on the diesel as a lubricant.

And if the HPFP has been stripped of lubrication, it will have put microscopic metal fragments through the whole fuel system

In the event of a misfuel, the WHOLE system needs replacing. HPFP, LPFP, injectors, even down to the fuel lines and fuel tank (especially if someone else is paying)

Post #473077 19th Mar 2018 9:25am
Bill

United Kingdom 

In the worst case.....I hope you have written to them with registered post or similar.... you don’t want them to forget in 6 months time.
If u have a legal insurance with your car u may want to consider asking them. I don’t think that counts against claims... again worth checking before jumping.

I suspect you will need a prompt report, rather than a problem later on ,that you then try to pin on them... what a
b Censored r

In the best case there is no problem, but I’m not capable of technical comment one way or the other. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #473088 19th Mar 2018 11:05am
Paulus1978

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I used to work for a Jaguar Main Dealer. When they first launched the 2.7 V6 TD in the S-Type and X350 we had no end of owners put Super Unleaded in thier new beast purely out of habit. Regrettably as other have said, I can confirm the high pressure pump uses the Diesel as a lubricant and consequently starting it with the wrong fuel just leads to the death or serious injury of the pump and (because of metal fragments breaking away from the now non-lubricated pump) the injectors too. If the owner realised thier mistake and didn't turn the key in the ignition and prime the pump, we could drain and flush the low pressure side of the system. If it made it into the High Pressure side, we replaced the components and the owner would usually have a bit of an argument with the Insurance Company and ultimately get paid out.

Personally I would be on the phone to them, irrespective of symptoms (or lack thereof) which you have now rather than wait for the damage to rear it's head in a more catastrophic and expensive way.

Post #473117 19th Mar 2018 3:38pm
Billaboard

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

I'm sure this is obvious, but the very first thing to do is get the till receipt for the fuel. If you haven't got one, the garage might be able to provide a copy.

I had a query with Shell some years ago after my and some friends all had problems after refuelling (with the correct fuel) at the same station. They needed the pump ID from the receipt. They later rang me and said the fuel in that pump had been checked and was fine. I seem to remember asking for the report in writing, but was told they didn't usually do this.

Funnily enough, the station closed a few weeks later and they dug up and replaced all the underground tanks.

I didn't pursue it further because on limping to my garage for repair, a different fault was found. Old 110 2.3 Petrol ???? - ????
Old 110 200tdi ???? - 2004
1996 Discovery 300tdi 2004 - 2015 met fiery end being welded
2004 JEEP Grand Cherokee 2015 - 2017
2004 L322 Td6 2017 -

Post #473126 19th Mar 2018 6:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1