Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 5.0 S/C restricted performance, misfire on four cylinders.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nickiwi

United Kingdom 
5.0 S/C restricted performance, misfire on four cylinders.

Hi,

I moved into full fat ownership about a year ago, after 5 or 6 in Discoverys. Up until today it's been relatively pain free (other than the fuel, but you expect that).

I started the car this morning and though it sounded a little rough for 30secs or so, then it ran smoothly as I reversed off the drive. Drove to a meeting about 10 miles away, all was well until I pulled up when it suddenly got really rough and the restricted performance warning and light came on. After and hour or so, got back in the car, light had cleared (though it sounded a bit rough), then halfway home, the warning came on again. Car got me home at a very sedate pace.

I borrowed my neighbour's OBDii reader and got the following codes:

P0300 Random/multiple cylinder excess emissions detected Excess emissions detected on more than one cylinder
P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected Injector 2 excess emissions/catalyst damaging level of misfire
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire detected Injector 4 excess emissions/catalyst damaging level of misfire
P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected Injector 6 excess emissions/catalyst damaging level of misfire
P0308 Cylinder 8 misfire detected Injector 8 excess emissions/catalyst damaging level of misfire
P0316 Multiple misfires in first 1000 revs.

Sounds a bit ominous to me. Have called my Indie, he has no instant diagnosis--which isn't surprising I guess, but can't look at the car until next Friday. Seems like I'll have a week of fretting and no fingernails left by then.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Post #480840 13th Jun 2018 4:54pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Something common to one bank by the look of it. Could be coil pack related? There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #480841 13th Jun 2018 5:04pm
Nickiwi

United Kingdom 

That was my first thought (and also the neighbour, who's pretty useful with a spanner).
Indy wasn't so definitive. Hope it is, probably cheaper than some of the alternatives!

Post #480843 13th Jun 2018 5:10pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

cam position sensor?

Post #480845 13th Jun 2018 5:16pm
Nickiwi

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your help on this guys. Turned out to be an injector that was stuck wide open, dumping fuel into the cylinder. After it had been sorted, I checked the trip and it had used about 75 litres to go 57 miles!! After giving me heart palpitations for a week or so, it's going in to have the chain guide upgrade done. Don't fancy detonating that engine!

Post #483865 20th Jul 2018 9:25am
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Good to know about the injector, something I shall remember for the future.

Who are you using to replace the chain guides out of interest, and have you got a quote you could share (via PM if needed?). That's the one thing in the back of my mind that might need doing at some stage - although I have only just hit 70k miles, it seems to randomly hit vehicles at any time.

Post #483921 20th Jul 2018 4:56pm
Nickiwi

United Kingdom 

My indie is West 4x4 in Bishops Waltham, Hampshire. He's been great throughout ownership of previous Discos and the FFRR.

I've also got the supercharger rattle. Labour for both is £1476 inc VAT and the timing chain guide parts are £850+ VAT, so I guess for the timing chain component I'm looking at around £1750 all up. Sounds expensive, until you consider the cost of a chain jumping a tooth!

Post #483986 21st Jul 2018 1:18pm
paulbrown22

Super, thank you - very helpful! That's a name from the past, I used to use Mark at West 4x4 for my original Ninety when I was at uni in Southampton, and always had superb service from him. I remember him turning me some custom wheel nuts once upon a time, as that Ninety was running some weird Australian alloys with special nuts that were impossible to find in this country...

For both the supercharger fix and timing chain/guides, that doesn't sound too bad - several people have suggested far bigger bills just for the timing chain/guides alone as a preventative item. And agreed, if the guides should let go, the bill increases exponentially!

I keep meaning to check with the JLR dealer to see if mine's already been done, as it only came out the official network a couple of years ago as Approved Used, and if not, I might similarly get the guides swapped out to ensure no issues in the future.

Post #484065 22nd Jul 2018 6:32pm
paulbrown22

Did you have the chain tensioner/guide upgrade done in the end - was it all successful and could you hear any difference afterwards?

Post #487492 29th Aug 2018 9:07pm
Nickiwi

United Kingdom 

I didn't in the end—I got a few estimates and they were all north of £3k, plus £850 for the supercharger spring that also needed attention. I decided I'd never see that money again, so reluctantly moved the vehicle on. First time in 10 years without a LR of some description.

Post #487540 30th Aug 2018 10:13am
paulbrown22

Sorry to hear that, thanks for letting me know though - very interesting to bear in mind!

I hope you find another LR/RR soon Smile.

Post #487596 30th Aug 2018 9:03pm
Nickiwi

United Kingdom 

Thanks Paul.

I've gone back to a Merc for the time being (after 20 years), anything other than an L405 would have seemed disappointing after the SC and they're a bit out of budget at the moment.

If we have a crap winter, I dare say I'll be on LR/RR shopping!

Post #487607 31st Aug 2018 7:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1