Home > Photos, Videos & Media > JLR in two week shutdown
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
JLR in two week shutdown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45785229

Looks like the fall off in diesel demand is steeper than expected!

Post #491456 8th Oct 2018 5:21pm
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

It's been handled so bloody badly by the government.

Modern diesels are, generally, less polluting than petrol cars and produce less CO2.

With all the talk of switching everything to electric, nobody knows what to believe and what to buy in case it's worthless in a year.

Post #491466 8th Oct 2018 6:15pm
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

This whole diesel fiasco stinks of the great beef mad cow disease of the 80/90s. Govt demonise something then look astonished when demand plummets and the economy concerned is right royaly fecked up.

Post #491550 9th Oct 2018 8:43am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

It goes back further than that.

They demonised petrol first, as the ONLY important pollutant is CO2 apparently.

Then, guess what? People bought diesel. It turns out they produce less CO2 but do create other problems. Pollutants and much more importantly less tax revenue. So we will now have to tax diesels more.

This is also the government gearing up to force us to buy expensive electric cars and hybrids.

Then, guess what? The pollution caused by power plants and the disposal of the batteries will "force" the government to 'take action' (i.e. tax the living bejasus out of us).

Post #491551 9th Oct 2018 9:10am
Balloonengineer

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

if everyone goes electric, and nobody pays fuel duty, how do you raise tax revenues to run the country?

I can't think of any monetary solutions apart from an electronic pay per mile system, either once a year at MOT time or a big brother tracker system...…….

I have just returned from an extensive drive around Europe and France seem to be are going big on forecourt E85 at cheaper then LPG prices, and sub 70 cents a litre. Intermarche have labels that say from September, 95 is not available and those nozzles are now E85 and if you want 95 then you must buy super 98
I know all the problems of Ethanol based fuel, but anybody thought of solutions to use it in LR's

Best wishes
Glen Previously......
Series 1 80, Series 3 88, Turbo 90, 300tdi 90, 110's with 200, 300, TD5
TD5 Disco, Disco 3, 200Tdi Disco - probably the best vehicle Landrover ever made,
Now 3x FFRR, some would say I should have learned by now......

Post #491681 10th Oct 2018 8:31am
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Slightly off topic but, taxes do not pay the bills to run a country. The solution is simple. Deal with the way banks do business and all the fiscal problems disappear. Fractional Reserve Banking and Fiat money is what is killing the economy of all western countries It is legalised fraud. If you or I did the same, we would be locked up.
Educate yourself here,
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=...hOU56BWPyt
And here if you have the time
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=...Jjwc9qhQJR 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #491777 10th Oct 2018 7:06pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Come on Grofus, you got an extra 4 euro yesterday in the budget, i can decide what to do with mine , im thinking Vanquish ( in black ) or half a bag of chips. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #491784 10th Oct 2018 7:17pm
Grofus

Ah John, Im seriously Censored off at these governments All these new taxes are created to try and fill the shortfall. It will never happen though as long as banking remains unchanged. They have governments by the "Town Halls" with none of the fools willing to take them on.So we just keep paying and paying............ on and on and on.
Sorry to rant but folks need to learn how they're being shafted. Then it may change. Banging Head Banging Head 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #491786 10th Oct 2018 7:25pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Couldn't agree more, what ours did re the German 'unsecured ' banks was ridiculous , i wish some of my investments had that sort of security ( guarantees ) behind them. Problem is historic and humans are in charge and i think that power corrupts. There are so many economic injustices that you are just left shaking your head. Im awaiting a reasonably large VAT refund for almost 3 weeks now but if i was 2 days late paying them , they would impose fines. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #491788 10th Oct 2018 7:34pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green
Re: JLR in two week shutdown

stu1 wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45785229

Looks like the fall off in diesel demand is steeper than expected!

It’s very sad news, to think how it was humming along nicely only a year or two ago. It’s such a perfect storm of bad news at the minute (diesel demonisation, some dubious designs, a loonie in the White House, looming international trade disasters, deep uncertainty over B*****t, two wasted years in the UK, Boris Johnson, political turmoil at home etc etc) that I can’t see the environment for the likes of JLR getting any better in the near future.

Post #491790 10th Oct 2018 7:42pm
Grofus

Too true.
Im lucky that I dont have a mortgage, a credit card or a loan anymore. But, Im genuinely concerned for the next generations.
I got my own little victory with a UK high st bank. I took out a loan to test what I had learned. I stopped repaying after 3 months and waited. Sure enough letters, phone calls etc.followed. Threatening this and that blah blah. It soon stopped when I asked them to prove the transaction with the actual ledgering. Never heard another thing. Funny that.
It makes my blood boil when I hear families having homes repossessed by banks that never lent a damn penny to buy it.
F Kin parasites the lot of em 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #491792 10th Oct 2018 7:50pm
Grofus

Apologies to OP for the thread hijack Sad 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #491794 10th Oct 2018 7:51pm
portrobc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Firenze Red

Grofus .......you seem a very angry person, maybe you ought to get your blood pressure checked !!

Blaming the Banks is just plain wrong. They did not create the mess.
Look at it another way, do you blame the armed forces for starting wars..............they are merely the tools employed in that circumstance.
So it is with Banks, they are there to make money to pay all those offensive things like your pension, your healthcare, your street sweeping etc......if successive Governments either cannot or will not control them then that is not the fault of the Banks.

Oh and by the way you may wish to look up the term "not economic to recover" bit like writing a car off only it is not a car it is money.

Rob Now running a 2016 Autobiography plus an Aston Martin Virage
Previously ran a Lincoln Navigator and 18 XC60 T5
Before that a pile of Jeeps, Mercedes and Jaguars and Porsches, Mustang and Volvo.

Post #491841 11th Oct 2018 8:37am
Grofus

Ha ha. Im fine chap as I have distanced myself from it all.
However, you could not be more wrong about banks creating the mess. All money is now created as a debt. But the one thing never created is the interest the banks demand on top.
So simply put £1000 is created as a "loan" from the bank. They demand you pay back £1250. So tell me how that can be paid.
The system requires more money to be created in order to pay the previous transaction. Then of course the shortfall is bigger ad infinitum..
Read Thomas Shauf's book. He is an ex Fed Reserve banker turned CPA prosecutor.
Banks control the economic climate by simply controlling the money supply. Recession, Boom times, Credit crunch all at the bankers whim.
You rightly said they are there to make money as with any other business. And they do, lots of it.
If you were in business to "lend" money so folk could buy a house and could create a recession to take it back having given nothing for it, would you?
The wall st crash was caused by greedy banks and the Glass Steagall act was introduced to prevent it happening again. The banks didn't like it and campaigned against it. In1999 it was repealed and 2007/8 saw the world finacial crash. So in less than 10 years they did again.
Collectively we owe banks more than they lent us. The only way it can be paid off is with throwing in assets. Land, property, valuables etc.
All the austerity measures are a smoke screen.
So yes chap, the BANKS ARE TO BLAME. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #491851 11th Oct 2018 10:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1