Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Fuel delivery problems iidtool says fuel sender 2 fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Fuel delivery problems iidtool says fuel sender 2 fault

Car died. Too dark and late to start DXing it yet. New fuel pump less than 10k miles ago. Just the pump and not the whole sending unit. Before I jump into it does that particular fault code mean anything special? I didn't have any code before when the pump died. Thanks

Post #492175 14th Oct 2018 12:22am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

How much fuel has it got showing?

Post #492214 14th Oct 2018 11:13am
doclees

Just a fraction above 1/4th tank.

Post #492274 14th Oct 2018 3:52pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Sounds like its got the age old run out of fuel because the equalising pump has packed in fault...

You have in essence two tanks as the one stretches over the transmission tunnel, one side of the tank has an equalising pump that keeps the fuel equal when it gets lower... That pump fails and when you have 1/4 left showing i.e. 1/4 left in the side that the pump has failed... The other side, the side that supplies the engine has ran out of fuel! Get some fuel in it and i bet it'll run as usual sir Thumbs Up ...

Post #492281 14th Oct 2018 4:31pm
doclees

I though I read this about e46 but was sure if it applied. Off the petrol (gas) station to fill my 5gal tank.

Post #492282 14th Oct 2018 4:48pm
doclees

Haven't filled it yet. Looking up parts. I don't find a second pump, just the lines. Is there something that needs replaced or are lines just plugged?

Post #492288 14th Oct 2018 5:11pm
doclees

Half a tank now and 4 crank tries but no pop. Thought maybe I heard the pump but not sure. Time to open it up I guess.

Post #492324 14th Oct 2018 7:43pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

The pump should be easily heard...

Post #492347 14th Oct 2018 10:37pm
doclees

Normally yes but I did the B54 amp fix and the grounding is off so it buzzes even with radio off. Ill pull the radio fuse tomorrow and it will be quieter.

Post #492352 14th Oct 2018 11:19pm
doclees

OK I'm not sure where to go next besides RAVE and mapping the electrical paths. So with key on I have no power to pump checked at pump connection. Visually inspected fuses and they look OK. Will check continuity tomorrow to verify. Swapped relay and no change. Bypassed relay with key on and off. No fuel pump sound.
Any suggestions what to check next? Fuseable links?
At the moment I'm happy it probably isn't the new pump unless it is an ECU.

Post #494290 1st Nov 2018 3:14am
doclees

Update: checked fuses 51 and 85 with meter. All good. Fuse 85 shows power so the rear fuse block is powered. This is where it gets odd. No power to pump read at pump connector. Bypassed relay and get power to pump connector but no pump sound. Swapped relay with known good one and no power to pump. I'd hate to pull this new pump if I'm missing something. Should I try powering the pump with a separate power supply other than the vehicle power supply?
Looking at the electrical diagram I can't see any reason why a good pump wouldn't run if I have power to it.

Post #494340 1st Nov 2018 5:37pm
doclees

Follow up: Just to recap I had replaced the pump just a year ago with a Hella pump. The old one was not an original. See old post. http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic45124.html.
This caused the positive pin in the assembly to melt the plastic holding it in. Thought I fixed it but the fix gave out and the pin fell back into the assembly. This was the cause of the current loss of pressure. Thought it was going to be a somewhat easy fix and probably would have been if it wasn't for those aging plastic quick connectors. This over engineered connector wouldn't release and I ended pulling the plastic post off of the assembly. Rather irate I started searching for an assembly for less than $500. I found Chinese copies delivered for $92.50. A couple reviews said there were quality control issues and one had problems with the gauge sender. I figured in the worst case all I needed was the plastic housing and I could gut the old one. Pleasantly surprised to visually find this just as good as the original so I installed it.
Now my fear was those quick disconnect connectors that don't release. Took me a while to see that these are universal as long as you match the size so I decided to replace the old ones with ones that release properly. This became a real fiasco. I will just say if you use Dorman connectors and you are doing this with the tank in the car don't bother with trying to use the included brass press in connector. The inline 5/16th quick connector works well assuming the Dorman 5/16th tube attached to the elbow is a true 5/16th. I got 2 that were .34 inch and they will not seat into the 5/16th union without force and then will not come out. They are also expensive for what you get. $20 for 1 elbow attached to about 2 ft of nylon tubing and the brass press in connector.

Post #496144 21st Nov 2018 4:47am
doclees

Forgot to add that this pump is silent. Even with it exposed I couldn't hear it running. The last pump a year ago was too long to remember if it could be heard running.

Post #496231 21st Nov 2018 8:25pm
doclees

Update: finally filled the tank. Fuel gauge doesn't hit 3/4 tank. Common problem with these knockoffs. In spring I'll pull it and swap in the original sender from the old assembly.

Post #501861 17th Jan 2019 2:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1