Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Proud Rhino
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LR3Trav

United States 2010 Range Rover HSE 5.0 V8 Nara Bronze
Proud Rhino

Hello all! Been a while since I have posted. Haven't had much to add to the conversation as this is SWMBO's daily driver.
As this is a topic of Tires, I had on a set of Nitto Grappler G2 in the 265/50/20 on the standard wheels. After about 30k miles, I had a nail in one and a slash on the side of another. Time to re-shoe the Nara.
After much looking and deciphering offset and maximum tire size, I went with a rather large AT. Goodyear Duratrac 275/55/20 Twisted Evil . As winter is coming Whistle , and I have had these on my MY07 LR3 (255/55/19) with great results in snow and ice in Tahoe area, I wanted to go with a little beefier tire.
They really fill out the wheel well nicely. However, there was quite a bit of rubbing in the right rear at the forward portion of the well. that has since been resolved. I was also experiencing a fair amount of rubbing on full lock right and a little bit on full lock left.
I may get a lot of flak for going with the rods to lift the vehicle, I'm okay with that. I installed the Proud Rhino 2.5" rods and here are the results. Stock heights were measured with the bigger tire. I took 2 measurements 1) from the side near the rear of the driver's side door and 2) front center near the jack point.

Access Height:
Side - 12". After rods installed 13.75"
Front - 9" up to 10.5"
Standard height:
Side - 13.5" up to 15"
Front - 10.5" up to 12"
Off-Road Height:
Side - 15.25" up to 16.75"
Front - 12.25 up to 14"

Click image to enlarge

Front Stock rod
Click image to enlarge

Rear Stock rod
Click image to enlarge

Comparison of the rods
Click image to enlarge

Right rear before rod install where the gas filler tube goes (plastic rubs at standard height, easily fixed)

New standard height

Needs a bath

Both at standard height (LR3 with Rhino Rods on stock size GY Duratrac 255/55/19)
Click image to enlarge

Right front wheel well near the door. Only rub on full lock right. Minor amount, may remove that plastic altogether as it is already off on the left side.

Post #495950 18th Nov 2018 11:48pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Looks good - but you do realise that using lift rods totally throws out the suspension geometry. In simple terms the wheels no longer sit square - the bottom is in and the top is kicked out - the tread is no longer sitting evenly on the road as it should and it will lead to uneven tyre wear and strange handling. It’s only designed to run at extended off road height off road and not at high speed or on tarmac.

If I run mine on extended mode on tarmac I can feel it immediately through the steering wheel as the tyres are grabbing and snatching on tight turns.

If it was a beam axle there would be no issue - but as it’s independent raising the suspension / height alters the wheel angles 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #495952 19th Nov 2018 12:00am
LR3Trav

Quote:
I may get a lot of flak for going with the rods to lift the vehicle, I'm okay with that

Yes Sir. Been running these rods on my LR3 for 30k miles on my other Duratracs. No issues there. I do understand about the geometry being off a little and the handling may be a bit more splashy. I have weighed these concerns. The geometry of the tire itself helps a little bit (at least that's what I tell myself Mr. Green )

Post #495953 19th Nov 2018 12:09am
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Do the lift rods alter insurance and if you do get a bad bump and something serious happens are you in a pickle? _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #495957 19th Nov 2018 3:36am
LR3Trav

I must say, I have not really asked my insurance about that. I think that insurance coverage on this side of the pond may be different than on your side. As both of my cars are out of warranty, I would imagine that if an accident occurred as a result of the failed aftermarket part, I would not be covered for that part of the repair. I just installed these today and can easily change back to the OEM rods if needed.

I see many of you guys post about load and speed rating of rims/tires and other add ons. We never really thought about that over here. I'm sure the insurance companies love us Shocked

Many times, lifts are covered up to 6" here in the states. I am well below that limit. As it looks, they will cover "aftermarket modifications up to $XXXX". Doesn't appear to change liability, property damage, collision, bodily injury, etc...

I would have to contact my company during business hours to find out. I will post an update to how it is over here in the states. I would have to ask if I am covered if a part fails as a result of the modification.

Post #495958 19th Nov 2018 4:00am
gj88

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

I'm maybe being daft, but could you not have just raised the suspension heights slightly using a diagnostic tool?

Post #495977 19th Nov 2018 10:40am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

...or if these sizes are available in USA, fit 255/55R20 Duratracs or get style 15 19" wheels and fit 255/55R19s. I'd be wary of lifting a 322 in the UK. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #495979 19th Nov 2018 11:42am
LR3Trav

GJ88 - Yes, using the Gap IIDTool should have been my go to method for adjusting the height. I may still go that route for easier height changes. For the time being, I wanted to fit these tires in particular due to their size, rim protection, and the season we are getting into. This is my winter set-up and off road set up. The other tire option I would use for summer would be the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 roughly the same size with a higher speed and load rating (275/55/20 117T) the GY Duratrac is 113S Thumbs Up .

CS - the 19" rims and the tire, while still beefy looking, do not fill out the wheel wells as nicely IMO. While researching here, I see many people asking about tire sizes and any issues with rubbing and such. If we don't try, we won't know. Just trying to add to the knowledge base and report on any issues that may arise with such mods to the L322 Thumbs Up

I have had no real issues with the lift on my LR3 full time for over 2 years Wink .

Post #495992 19th Nov 2018 2:39pm
LR3Trav

Update

Well, After about a week with the new shoes on the FFRR, I have decided to change the shoes. While I love the look of the aggressive larger size Duratrac, the ride did not feel as stable on the highway. So, I decided to go with another 3PMSF severe weather rated tire. The new shoes are 265/50/20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S.
SWMBO noticed an immediate improvement on highway speeds. The tire is rated 111T XL. The FF is back to a standard height and improved snow and ice handling. These should be better than the Nitto G2's that were previously on her.
Before:

After:

I did keep the 275/55/20 Duratrac and put them on my LR3. She handles these shoes great and feels very comfortable at highway speeds. Can't believe the difference between the 2 rides with the same tire Shocked
Before:

After:

Thanks for the input guys Thumbs Up
The more you know..

Post #496293 22nd Nov 2018 4:12pm
gj88

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Do you think it was the tyres or the rods? My guess would have been the latter, but only you know!

Post #496318 22nd Nov 2018 8:40pm
LR3Trav

I think it was more the tire size. When I swap the tires out, I was able to drive the car with the rods still and in the car lifted. There was an immediate return to normal and the handling of the car with the new tires. As this is our family vacation and ski trip car, I wanted to fit something more suitable for the wife as it is also her daily driver.

My LR3 handles perfectly with the 275/55/20 goodyear Duratrc tires. Much improved stance. Will upload pictures when I get home. I keep getting an error and retrieving album data.

Last edited by LR3Trav on 23rd Nov 2018 5:44am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #496337 22nd Nov 2018 11:16pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

I have LT275/55R20 BFG KO2 on my MY12 using standard height, after fixing the slight rubbing at the fuel filler pipe bulge. I have Llams to raise or lower the suspension as required but for reasons other than the larger tyre size. I have Pirelli AT+ in 275/55R20 waiting to be fitted in a few months when the BFGs are worn enough.

Post #496342 22nd Nov 2018 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1