Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Charles89

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Scotia Grey
L405 SDV8 BATTERY DRAIN

Morning all,

The saga of the new L405 continue...

I wander If anyone can help. By battery is flat every morning and every evening in the car... and it won't start. I have fitted a brand new bigger better capacity battery, and a brand new bigger leasure battery also. So that is two new batterys and I am getting a Click Click Click and no start, flickering dash and lights etc. I have an IID Tool and this is only showing a "Master lock" central locking fault.. and when I lock the car, it does sound like the locking is cycling over and over and over even way after locking and leaving the car. I am wandering if these is any keyless entry issues or central locking issues that are known.. I did have a search on this forum but couldn't find anything at all on battery drain.

On the older L322 I could use the IID tool to code the new battery, however on the L405 the option is not available to code in a new battery..

Can anyone help?

Kind regards
Charles

Post #495600 15th Nov 2018 8:43am
Charles89

Well...

I've just been told by my local garage that my endeavours to change to a larger battery are dangerous!!! They said fitting a non stop start battery can be fatal and they can catch fire???

It had fitted a 95ah 800amp battery... I replaced it with a non stop start 110ah 950 amp battery thinking it would be better for longevity and winter.... I've never heard of them being a danger.. Big Cry blimey... What a school boy.. has anyone heard of this before?

Post #495610 15th Nov 2018 10:04am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

stop/start does take its toll on car batterys and AGM [absorbed glass mat] batterys can take the strain especially if theres current input from braking regeneration involved ..

i dont think that non AGM batterys will catch fire but who knows...

Post #495612 15th Nov 2018 10:14am
Charles89

The thing is.. I don't even have stop start! It's either on or off.. non of this traffic light nonsense

Post #495618 15th Nov 2018 10:32am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Their is a thread on here somewhere that suggests that if you get the click click no start problem on an L322, switch the windscreen wipers on and off and then try again.
I have no idea if it works, or if it is rubbish, but you have nothing to loose trying it next time you are stuck ??

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #495620 15th Nov 2018 10:41am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

If your car does not have stop start, why would your local garage tell you it needs that battery?

What was wrong with the old one/s? Have them charged up and checked then refit them if only to prove the replacements are/are not the cause of your problems...

I do agree, fitting "bigger" batteries is NOT the right way to go sir... If too big, the alternator will be trying to do a job it was not designed to do... etc etc etc

Post #495622 15th Nov 2018 10:42am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

You might have a problem with the locking software that causes a battery drain. That happened on my last 322 (TDV8). The software was reprogrammed (by dealer) and the battery tested after it had been fully recharged, to see if it had been fatally damaged by the total discharge (apparently the test can only be done with a fully charged battery). It had been and was replaced. All done under warranty. No point in throwing batteries at the car if the drain has not been stopped. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #495624 15th Nov 2018 11:13am
Charles89

Ah thank you for this information! I was not aware the module can be updated and possibly fix the issue.

I did replace the buttons on the door Handel with new ones and nothing changed. So I will tell the dealer about that tomorrow.

Thank you again for your help

Post #495635 15th Nov 2018 12:41pm
Charles89

So apparently I have a soft closure module that needs changing sling with a new door lock and possibly Handel. Keyless entry is keeping the car awake and causing a drain

Post #497295 2nd Dec 2018 9:06am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
If your car does not have stop start, why would your local garage tell you it needs that battery?

What was wrong with the old one/s? Have them charged up and checked then refit them if only to prove the replacements are/are not the cause of your problems...

I do agree, fitting "bigger" batteries is NOT the right way to go sir... If too big, the alternator will be trying to do a job it was not designed to do... etc etc etc

Not sure why "fitting bigger batteries is not the way to go" Charging the battery is only a minor part of what the alternator does. Most of the relatively large electrical load on the car runs directly off the alternator once the engine is started.
I have two 110AH batteries connected in parallel on my car giving me 220AH capacity without any problems at all.
Not sure of the output of the alternators on these cars but I would guess at least 1.5-2.0 kW.

Post #497339 2nd Dec 2018 5:00pm
Charles89

Very interested to know how and where you fit this in an L405? Can you please share the details?

I have been thinking of this for a long time and would like to do the same!

Post #497428 3rd Dec 2018 3:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1