Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > EGR code P2142-77 and engine revs hunting-Hopefully resolved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
EGR code P2142-77 and engine revs hunting-Hopefully resolved

2011MY 4.4TDV8

I have been having these codes come up on the GAP and was wondering if anyone on here can say if I am on the right track or if it needs to be in another direction. I've had a good search on here, but cannot find this particular combo, or I've missed it.

PCM-Engine TDV8

• P2142-77 (27) Exhaust gas recirculation throttle control - circuit high - Mechanical failure - commanded position is not reachable

• P0486-17 (27) Exhaust gas recirculation sensor B circuit - General electrical failure - circuit voltage above threshold

Initially before Christmas I had the occasional drop into restricted performance with these and other (sometimes lots) of codes. Most cleared but these return. Charging voltage good, had the battery checked and replaced it as not reaching full capacity, ran fair until recently. Did a 200 mile round trip with stops and no alarms, then dropped into restricted performance on a short trip with these two codes again. The engine today was hunting at start up, revs from 650 to 950 then into restricted mode. Noted that the throttle butterfly? was clicking, the air intake on the offside huffing and the throttle inlet hose was pulsing. Stopped, cleand the MAP, cleared the codes and then switched on the “ignition”. Throttle butterfly could heard clicking and then stopped, at the same time engine restricted performance came up. Didn’t start the engine but reset the codes and and then restarted, same huffing and rev surge then RP again.

I’m leaning towards the fault being in the throttle butterfly but would appreciate any comments and assistance.

TIA Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Last edited by rjff on 1st Feb 2019 12:02pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #502767 25th Jan 2019 5:12pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I can't remember seeing that code on the forum, but I have read about the throttle body playing up.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #502774 25th Jan 2019 6:52pm
rjff

Thanks for this Greg(?), it's sent me on a different tack. Thumbs Up

Found several posts on throttle body and some seem to indicate the problem could be with the motor/gear unit. I'll try stripping it down for a look tomorrow.

Some people shouldn't be allowed on search (ie Me Embarassed ) Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
Gap IIDBT

Post #502789 25th Jan 2019 8:34pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi Richard, great plan, post up some pics if you're taking it apart!
Good luck!
Regards, Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #502790 25th Jan 2019 8:40pm
rjff

Thanks Greg, and here's hoping I find a problem.

Pics will be taken and put up. Cheers
Richard

Gap IIDBT

Post #502792 25th Jan 2019 8:42pm
rjff

Haven't forgotten, but my good lady needed some maintenance (garden, honest Cool ). Bit bullet and have ordered new body from Dan@Duckworths.

Will report and photo after that's fitted. Cheers
Richard

Gap IIDBT

Post #503063 28th Jan 2019 4:49pm
rjff

EGR code P2142-77 and engine revs hunting-Hopefully resolved

The throttle body arrived from Duckworth's and was fitted yesterday. So far, having stopped and started the car and taken it for a good test run with stops and starts, the replacement seems to have resolved the problem. Running the fault check with the GAP doesn't come up with anything. The throttle body wakes up on pressing the start button, seems to cycle quickly then stop, starting then is good, running with no further hunting. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Just to recap, with the old throttle body the engine would sometimes hunt at start up, causing fluctuating revs and the inlet hose from the intercooler to the body to pulse. Occasionally the car would stall on pulling away from a standstill, going into restricted mode on restart or would drop into restricted during a run.

Codes for that are as in my first post in thread.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar fault and thanks to Greg (gonna go double r) for the heads up suggestion. Thumbs Up

As promised a few photos. In taking apart the old body I simply drilled out the screws as the first head sheared off and the second broke the torx bit. I would think some form a sealant is used to prevent tampering, perhaps a little carefully applied heat may help, BUT the plastic cover is full of electronics, probably for the butterfly position feedback.

Throttle body location

Cover removed, showing gears

Black idler gear showing some tooth wear

Cover with chip

[/b] Cheers
Richard

Gap IIDBT

Post #503546 1st Feb 2019 11:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1