Home > Technical (L322) > PCV and Vacuum System problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
crowebeard

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
PCV and Vacuum System problems

Hi All

Last week after being parked up for a couple of hours after a 2hr drive, the EML came on when I started up, with a bit of a rough idle. Dug out the IID Tool and the following faults came up:

0x41D Lambda control adaption fault bank 2
0x41C Lambda control adaption fault bank 1

I cleared them and drove 120 miles home, but 5 miles from home the EML and faults returned. Cleared them again and nothing has happened until this morning, when the EML light came on with no faults registering on the IID Tool after starting from cold. Confused

Drove 5 miles or so and after a 15min stop, the car started but wouldn't idle, just stalled. Started again and kept the revs up and all seemed fine on the way back, and it now idle without a problem when stopped. There is now a hint of movement on the rev counter at idle if I look hard enough!

Had a good search of the forum and narrowed it down to either the MAF sensor or PVC system. The PCV hoses do seem a bit gummy so will replace those in due course, however the stalling on start up suggests a problem with the MAF sensor.

Just going to have a look at the MAF sensor and see if it needs a clean.

Any thoughts on which one is more likely? David

2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4TDV8
2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 (LPG) (Not quite gone)
2021 Mazda CX-5
2003 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by crowebeard on 14th Feb 2019 9:26pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #502205 20th Jan 2019 1:31pm
tony66

Scotland 2005 Range Rover HSE Td6 Tonga Green
maf

maf is simple-check live values match what are asked for....pcv would be first port of call as its a job that needs doing anyway

Post #502217 20th Jan 2019 3:07pm
crowebeard

Thanks Tony66 - MAF readings appear to be around normal (although perhaps little low at idle) so will concentrate on PCV hose replacement. David

2021 Mazda CX-5
2003 Porsche Boxster

Post #502288 21st Jan 2019 2:34pm
tony66

Scotland 2005 Range Rover HSE Td6 Tonga Green
maf

remember issues such as egr control etc effect maf readings too

i stupidly had to replace my maf after having to demolish the original[seized bottom screw] on my 530d only to find it was the egr switching controller,kicked myself as i was misled by what i saw on the diagnostics-it would have been a non issue but the knacked screw meant i had to buy a new bosch maf-my intention was to clean it initially,i suppose it would have needed done anyway though,the way i should have went about it was blank off egr vac hose and check data...but you live and learn

symptoms on the m57m 530d were a strange pulsing at idle,slight loss of power on initial pull away...

Post #502487 23rd Jan 2019 12:42am
crowebeard

As the weather was so good today, I finally got around to fitting the new top breather hose on the PCV unit that @duckworthparts kindly sent last week, but while I was digging around the back of the engine I found a couple of additional problems that may be causing the occasional lumpy running.

Firstly the vacuum pipe from the air intake had become disconnected:

Secondly when I had a look at the back of the PCV valve itself there appeared to be 2 hoses missing (not my picture):

Both 1 and 2 don't have any pipes on them, and when the engine's running there is quite a suction on hose 1, but not much on 2. I may have missed it, but I can't find any reference to the vacuum system in the workshop manual, so does anyone know which pipes should be attached here?

Thirdly, there is a loose LPG hose that comes off a regulator type device. It did have a jubilee clip on it, so I imagine it has been attached somewhere, but its running fine on LPG so it doesn't seem vital.

And lastly, I found this hose on the left hand side of the engine bay (as you look at it from the front) with a bolt stuck in the end! By feel, I think it comes from the lower crankcase area, any idea anyone?

Does any one know where I can locate a detailed diagram of the vacuum/PCV/breather system as my knowledge of this isn't as good as it should be! Rolling Eyes But any help would be gratefully received please, especially on the pipes missing from the PCV body. David

2021 Mazda CX-5
2003 Porsche Boxster

Post #505157 14th Feb 2019 9:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1