Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > SDV8 or 5.0SC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rwc13

England 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
SDV8 or 5.0SC

I know this has been discussed before in many ways, but I am wondering what people think is going to happen to diesel in terms of both taxation of fuel and road tax and also depreciation. Is the somewhat bad reputation that diesel now has (arguably largely unjustified for the most modern diesels) set to continue with the potential above impacts, or do we think it will blow over and be forgotten?

The reason I ask is I have an opportunity to swap my SDV8 for a 5.0Sc of similar age, mileage and spec and I am trying to decide what to do. I do about 12k miles per year and 8k of that is travelling to and from the Algarve, so long cruise motorway journeys. I figure the 5.0SC will cost about £1k more a year in fuel at current prices, but if the tax and depreciation position worsens further for diesels the petrol could start to look pretty attractive.

I would welcome your thoughts on my current dilemma.

Post #505627 19th Feb 2019 8:51am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

If you can afford the change then it would be a no brainier YES from me... The problem is SC’s hold more second hand value than derv’s and are quite hard to find!

I think they will hold more value in the future for sure... Thumbs Up

Post #505635 19th Feb 2019 10:11am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Have a look at the LR website and their diesel v petrol article. I moved from a TDV8 322 to a 5.0SC 405 and have not regretted it at all. It's very pleasant to drive, and I am glad not to have to worry about the complexity of the two turbos plus AdBlue, or the impact of regulatory changes. Depreciation rates are hard to predict, but the greater complexity of the diesels and problems associated with too many stop/start short journeys may make them less attractive when they are older, plus of course Craig is right about the effect of abundance of diesels against rarity of petrols.

Have the one you enjoy driving more. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #505640 19th Feb 2019 12:27pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I can’t help thinking how “fashions” change.
I had exactly the opposite problem back in 1990 when I wanted to buy my first diesel Range Rover.
I got promoted into management and it meant I was doing big annual mileages , out on the road every day, using my car as a mobile office 4 days a week.
My local main dealer agreed to find me a nearly new diesel car to buy as a used Approved, but it took him months to get one for me to even test drive, and I bought it .
It turned out to be an ex factory car which came direct from Lode Lane as a 6months old ex directors car. A2.5 VM diesel in Portofino Red.
I took the mileage from 15k to 155k miles before I eventually traded it in for a brand new 2.5td P38 in Jan 2000 when I was offered early retirement, but by which time diesels were common place.
I doubt they will ever completely disappear, but fear the wheel is turning “full circle”.
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #505647 19th Feb 2019 1:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1