Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Looking at installing CCTV at home
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I sold my Swann system with my last house, but was very happy with it.

Think of the recorder independently of the cameras - I had a bunch of different cameras depending on where they were placed - handle of vision, light sensitivity, zoom etc.

Any 'kit' is likely to come with average cameras - which are OK, but average, which might work, but you might need/want better.

The latest models support 4k, but cost ££

I'm currently in rented & have Nest cameras - very easy plug & play - all WiFi

I'm renovating a house that I bought - not decided whether I'll fit CCTV to that or not yet.

Post #504204 6th Feb 2019 9:50pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Sorry to hear about your cars.

It's a balance of total spend vs risk. 4K cameras might provide a better chance of ID'ing somebody vs HD which might not. Same for number of cameras. So my suggestion is work out a figure you're willing to invest, then get the best/biggest system you can for that budget.

I have a couple of Samsung Smartcam cameras I use mainly when I got on holiday. They record on a micro SD on each camera so no need for a recorder box. They take 2 mins to set up and and I can access any camera, and the recordings all from my phone wherever I am. I can also add more cameras.

For another situation I tried a cheaper no brand IP camera promising everything the samsungs do but it was a waste of time and got returned.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #504205 6th Feb 2019 9:56pm
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I found swann ones to be expensive for what they are. To record high quality you need storage and for 16 cameras lots of it. When i did mine 5 cameras i speced up the dvr box and hard drive then bought the cameras seperate as i could get the right type of camera to cover the specific area. I used amazon as there are loads on there and it becomes a mine field when you get into it. You want a good deterant but also footage that can be used should something happen. Maybe best to chat through your requirements with a good independent cctv supplier or join a cctv forum and gen up. Good luck Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #504239 7th Feb 2019 7:04am
Andy_J

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like 'off the shelf' is not the way to go. I will join one of the cctv forums for advice on camera types.

I like the idea of the Hive or Samsung cameras, but due to where the windows are in my property, I need external mounted cameras to cove the drive and where the cars are parked 56 TDV8 Vogue SE
9 Freelanders, 2x 2002 TD4ES, 2001 TD4, 2002 1.8GS, 2000 XEDI, 2x 2000 1.8ES, 2004 1.8 & 2000 1.8 GS (rolled)
91 Lotus Carlton (sold)
90 Lotus Elan (BRG)

Post #504522 8th Feb 2019 8:19pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

may i add that dont get normal bullet type cameras as the infra red attracts spiders and all you'll see at night is spiders webs ..go for the enclosed dome type ..

Post #504529 8th Feb 2019 9:09pm
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Good point anout the dome ones too. What i read and gleamed was domes are for higher up and wider angke stuff and bullets were for specific areas. So domes on the soffits to get the full area and bullets on the cars etc. Cob webs can be a pain though! You can even get pan tilt and zoom ones which are motion activated and can sit there like a security guard surveying the area! Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #504549 9th Feb 2019 7:54am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Dome or bullet can both be had with different focal length lenses and zooms are also available.

You can also put IR lights separate from the cameras if you want to

Post #504554 9th Feb 2019 8:21am
Andy_J

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Thanks, for the additional advice, lots of spiders out where I live, do dome cameras will be first choice. 56 TDV8 Vogue SE
9 Freelanders, 2x 2002 TD4ES, 2001 TD4, 2002 1.8GS, 2000 XEDI, 2x 2000 1.8ES, 2004 1.8 & 2000 1.8 GS (rolled)
91 Lotus Carlton (sold)
90 Lotus Elan (BRG)

Post #504756 10th Feb 2019 8:55pm
smudge68

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Have a google of Reolink. I was going to go down the Swann route before I found these, 5mp camera's at around 50-60 quid. Got a couple and relied on SD cards to record any detected motion, now have 7 of them linked to the Reolink NVR that records 24/7 and I can access the system anywhere with an Internet connection. All are the 5Mp versions (1 is PTZ with 4x optical zoom) and the quality is superb. Night vision is pretty good with the IR enabled, although at distance it may be worth installing seperate IR lamps.

I'm not connected with the company in any way, just impressed with the quality and price of their systems.

Post #504762 10th Feb 2019 9:30pm
smudge68

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Oh, forgot to add, SpiderX is amazing for the arachnids.... was a huge problem until I discovered this product. Just spray every couple of months or so.

Post #504764 10th Feb 2019 9:31pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Ive got the Ring floodlight cam on my garage and it’s awesome. Motion detection, phone app alert, colour night vision two way audio, siren, no HDD to worry about. Instant playback on phone or tablet. All cloud storage. Does it all.

Click image to enlarge

Post #506730 28th Feb 2019 7:03pm
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

Andy_J wrote:
Rather than start a new topic

Had 2 of may cars vandalised this morning, fortunately they left the Rangie untouched.

Looking for a recommendation on CCTV, I know I will need at least 8 cameras to cover my property (probably 12 or 16 would be better). I live in the country so would need something that will work at night with very low light, not bothered about having months of recording time, but good resolution would be good. Cameras would all be mounted 5-6 meters up.

I am thinking about a swann system, but before I shell out £500+. Would be good to have some advice from those who already have systems

Andy, just seen this. If your vehicles are on your property, then have you thought about a Guardline perimeter alarm? £99 for detector and base unit (you can add up to 8 or 16 more I think), and apparently they have a big range on them. We have one across our front open driveway (we live in a village, driveway opening at boundary line is about 8m wide), hidden inside a small open fronted birdbox that goes off if anyone ventures onto our property.

CCTV still recommended, but most little b@st@rds/thieves will be covered up etc. Few videos on YouTube where people have used perimeter alarms to protect the whole of their properties, well worth a look

Post #508898 16th Mar 2019 11:21am
essex boy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
cctv

I install security systems for a living started 1983 willing to travel within reason or give advise if needed

Post #508908 16th Mar 2019 1:51pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi guys, just resurrecting this thread...

I'm looking for an IP camera system, not wifi. But I also want a Ring-style video doorbell.

Ideally the doorbell camera would work into the whole system, anyone know if this is possible?

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #586409 5th Mar 2021 5:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12