Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Major Failure to Proceed... Help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Shaun_

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Major Failure to Proceed... Help!

Hi, All. Weird symptoms, as is so often the case, but I'm hoping some of you can narrow down where I should start looking. Quick summary:
- For a week or so the car has very intermittently either done nothing on the first turn of the key to the start position (all warning lights etc, absolutely fine and normal) or has 'hesitated' for a second before turning over the starter. As it only did it perhaps once every 6th or 7th attempt I put this down to 'normal for an L322'!
- Did a few trips yesterday morning...all fine until 'bong!' and HDC failure message followed by further bongs and pretty much every warning message in succession: engine system failure; transmission failure, park brake failure, suspension failure. Much reduced power and suspension lowered but limped the mile or so home. Switched off.
- Switched on again - everything absolutely fine. Raised the suspension and all was well. I thought.
- An hour or so later, had to go out again. Car started perfectly normally and behaved fine for about 500 yards, when the warning bongs started again but this time the engine cut out completely so no brakes, power steering etc. either.
- The engine spins on the starter with great vigour but won't start. On about the third attempt it caught but only ran for about 5 seconds.
- Fetched my trusty Series 3 and towed it home. Kept trying to start the car until the battery started to fade. Put my Ctek battery conditioner on overnight.
- This morning it's still the same. Everything normal but the starter just spins and the engine won't 'catch'

Any suggestions for where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Shaun 2012 TDV8 Westminster in the New Forest

Also: Land Rover Series 3 SWB, Mercedes 280SL, Classic Mini race replica, VW Golf SV
Previously: Audi A8, RR TDV8 Vogue, Audi Allroad, VW Golf GTI Edition 30, Audi A4 Avant, A8, A4 Sport, A6, VW Golf Mk5, Bora, Golf GTI Mk3, Jetta Mk3, Passat, Jetta Mk1, Golf Mk1

Post #509056 18th Mar 2019 12:00pm
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

If the battery is hosed (beyond the reconditioning limits of the C-Tek) and the alternator is knackered I had similar warnings on my last one.

I think from memory it should read something like 14.4v across the battery terminals when the engine is running?

Good luck anyhow! Formerly happymadison1978

Post #509065 18th Mar 2019 12:46pm
Shaun_

Thank you.
The battery seems to be taking charge OK, although I do appreciate the voltage sensitivities of these vehicles...of course I can't check the voltage with the engine running as it won't start! 2012 TDV8 Westminster in the New Forest

Also: Land Rover Series 3 SWB, Mercedes 280SL, Classic Mini race replica, VW Golf SV
Previously: Audi A8, RR TDV8 Vogue, Audi Allroad, VW Golf GTI Edition 30, Audi A4 Avant, A8, A4 Sport, A6, VW Golf Mk5, Bora, Golf GTI Mk3, Jetta Mk3, Passat, Jetta Mk1, Golf Mk1

Post #509088 18th Mar 2019 3:59pm
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Turning but not catching sounds different, wonder if it's still electrical as the other HDC etc warnings, perhaps the fuel pumps are gubbered, or just not getting power?

So you have access to any code readers or an IID tool?

Thanks Thumbs Up Formerly happymadison1978

Post #509090 18th Mar 2019 4:12pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

Sounds like the battery to me. I got all those faults once when my battery was duff.

Just because it turns over it doesn't mean that the battery is ok. It maybe that the starter is sucking every bit of available voltage that the battery can offer and leaving nothing for everything else.

You need to put a voltmeter across the battery with it cranking and see what it reads. Also get a drop test done.

Post #509095 18th Mar 2019 5:22pm
Tugger

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Following this with close interest - had the same series of bongs and warnings three times during a blast along the motorway. Same failure to catch on the starter as well. Been fine for a week or so now but am kind of waiting for it happen again.

It's going in for diagnostics soon so if anything turns up I'll keep you posted. 09 RR Westminster 3.6TDV8 - Stornoway Grey / Black interior - now gone (sad face)
Nissan X Trail 1.6TDCi Tekna
Fiat 500 1.2

Post #509116 18th Mar 2019 8:47pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

I have similar sometimes turn key click turn key again starts iv put it down to battery which isnt very old im planning on upgrading it to the biggest i can fit in there.
Sometimes turn key nothing....i will refurb the starter at some point everything checks out ok.....

Post #509123 18th Mar 2019 9:08pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Gxsr1250dave, your ignition switch could be on its way out. Had similar with my Td6 and the ignition switch gave up the ghost at an inconvenient time. Sad John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #509129 18th Mar 2019 9:35pm
Tugger

Tugger wrote:
Following this with close interest - had the same series of bongs and warnings three times during a blast along the motorway. Same failure to catch on the starter as well. Been fine for a week or so now but am kind of waiting for it happen again.

It's going in for diagnostics soon so if anything turns up I'll keep you posted.

Spoke too soon, must have angered some sort of motoring spirit or something

This morning (look away now if you have a weak stomach)

Broken down on the hard shoulder
Click image to enlarge

Rescue has arrived!. Couldn't even drag herself onto the truck, poor old girl.

She's currently in the garage, suspected alternator replacement required. Had her just over a week!
Rolling with laughter 09 RR Westminster 3.6TDV8 - Stornoway Grey / Black interior - now gone (sad face)
Fiat 500 1.2

Post #509170 19th Mar 2019 11:45am
Shaun_

A tragic sight, Tugger. Really sorry. Welcome to the world of FF ownership! I'm still struggling with mine, so I hope they get yours sorted quickly for you...please let us know the outcome as it might give me some clues. 2012 TDV8 Westminster in the New Forest

Post #509171 19th Mar 2019 11:49am
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Weegie wrote:
Gxsr1250dave, your ignition switch could be on its way out. Had similar with my Td6 and the ignition switch gave up the ghost at an inconvenient time. Sad

Yep cheers for the heads up its on my list of thing to check/replace there a known problem

Post #509173 19th Mar 2019 11:59am
gj88

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Don't rule out more than one thing being wrong at the same time! When it'll turn over but not catch, double check that your secondary fuel pump is whirring away. If you get under the rear passenger side of the car you'll see a little hatch, if you've got the tools to get it open, see if it's drawing fuel through. Easy to replace, but you can also get it going again for a couple of months by hitting it with something heavy

Post #509174 19th Mar 2019 12:08pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

as an aside, I've always has AA cover with a wee bolt on , parts & garage cover. Costs minimal extra, covers up to £500 per claim if they cant fix at roadside. Got me 2 alternators for my td6 & tdv8. Helps with the ongoing costs of running these Thumbs Up

Post #509175 19th Mar 2019 12:20pm
Tugger

Yeah got a 3 year warranty on mine. Looks like it's about to come in handy! 09 RR Westminster 3.6TDV8 - Stornoway Grey / Black interior - now gone (sad face)
Fiat 500 1.2

Post #509176 19th Mar 2019 12:28pm
Joe90

England 

@ gj88

no secondary fuel pump behind the tank cover on a TDV8 Smile
(yes there is one there for a TD6) .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #509177 19th Mar 2019 12:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>