Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Major Failure to Proceed... Help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Fraynizzle

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

I’d suspect fuel delivery/pressure issue. You could always try some easy start to see if it coughs into life then dies?

Post #509231 19th Mar 2019 6:58pm
Shaun_

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Thanks again for all the input, guys.

As I've said the current symptoms would indeed all point to a fuelling problem...but that wouldn't explain the plethora of warning lights and messages that came up in the early stages of the issue before the car began refusing to start or run.

Similarly, as I've commented previously I too would have thought in theory that a car with a knackered alternator would start (especially with a jump pack or leads) and run at least for a while, but equally there are several people who have reported this not being the case in the real world, so perhaps there's something else going on with this particular model that has an impact.

At this stage I'm as confused as ever and waiting on the outcome of the diagnostics being carried out by Tugger's garage, given that his symptoms are absolutely identical to my own. 2012 TDV8 Westminster in the New Forest

Also: Land Rover Series 3 SWB, Mercedes 280SL, Classic Mini, VW Golf SV
Previously: Audi A8, RR TDV8 Vogue, Audi Allroad, VW Golf GTI Edition 30, Audi A4 Avant, A8 x 2, A4 Sport, A6, VW Golf Mk5, Bora, Golf GTI Mk3, Jetta Mk3 Passat, Jetta Mk1, Golf Mk1

Post #509232 19th Mar 2019 7:12pm
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Ignition switch is known to give similar problems. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #509269 20th Mar 2019 9:44am
Tugger

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Shaun (and anyone else with an interest)

Just had a call from the garage.

No issues found with battery, starter or alternator. They did, however, find low fuel pressure. Suggested fix is to drop the fuel tank out and replace fuel filter gauze

Kind of makes sense to me, if thinking about the way the car died - both times it's been cruising along motorway, and then accelerating, kickdown and clearly a demand at that point for extra fuel - if fuel flow is restricted in some way then I see problems happening. I guess the failure to restart and run properly if there's a fuelling problem would also fit.

In fact, this also ties in with the fault codes when this happened the first time a week and a bit ago - the recovery man then let me take a photo of the codes, clearly see fuel pressure issues here (I can't make out the text on the first one, something about Injector possibly, but the next two are pretty clear!)

We shall see - they are going to call back tomorrow so will continue with updates as I get them. 09 RR Westminster 3.6TDV8 - Stornoway Grey / Black interior - now gone (sad face)
Nissan X Trail 1.6TDCi Tekna
Fiat 500 1.2

Post #509352 20th Mar 2019 6:24pm
Shaun_

Thanks for the prompt update, Tugger. I'm hoping to try and fix mine at the weekend so any new information will be very gratefully received. If your garage are right then I'm still baffled by all the seemingly unrelated warnings about the transmission, suspension , HDC ABS etc. that preceded the non-running issue. Annoyingly I had planned to do a full service and a transmission fluid change and have all the parts ready but I guess I ought to get it running first!

I had the low pressure pump in the tank replaced on mine about 18 months ago and I seem to recall them saying that it all looked remarkably clean in there, and I only ever run the car on high quality fuel like Shell Nitro. The fuel filter itself was replaced at the same time but of course any filter or gauze in the line can get clogged.

Glad I haven't ordered a new alternator yet.

Cheers

Shaun 2012 TDV8 Westminster in the New Forest

Previously: Audi A8, RR TDV8 Vogue, Audi Allroad, VW Golf GTI Edition 30, Audi A4 Avant, A8 x 2, A4 Sport, A6, VW Golf Mk5, Bora, Golf GTI Mk3, Jetta Mk3 Passat, Jetta Mk1, Golf Mk1

Post #509358 20th Mar 2019 7:28pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Crankshaft Position Sensor Fault??? Would that stop the fuel pump running, I know it will stop the car starting. 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #509391 21st Mar 2019 1:26am
Grofus

Shaun,
the HDC, Transmission fail, ABS bongs etc are typical when a FF throws a fault and goes iinto limp mode. Its normal as all the ecu's rely on info from each other and when one gets dodgy data they all get dodgy data. Hence all the faults.
I had a fuel rail high pressure fault and got the same warnings. Find the fault, fix it and they go away. Thumbs Up 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #509393 21st Mar 2019 2:30am
Shaun_

Thanks, Both.
Grofus...looks as if Tugger's fault codes relate to fuel pressure...what did your issue turn out to be?
I haven't been able to find anything related to a gauze in the fuel tank as suggested by the garage, so hoping to hear from Tugger what they discover. I put a code reader on mine and got similar results so it does seem highly likely that we have exactly the same problem.

Cheers. 2012 TDV8 Westminster in the New Forest

Post #509411 21st Mar 2019 10:49am
Grofus

My issue was a sticky fuel regulator in the high pressure pump. Its regulates the return flow to the tank and open and shuts to maintain the correct pressure in the fuel rail. A heavy dose of injector cleaner and fuel system lube along with an Italian tune up for 20 miles sorted it.
Your issue could be as simple as a faulty pressure sensor. I think its located on the fuel rail.
Im not aware of any guaze filter in the tank only the filter in the engine bay.
I got all the bongs and warnings if the engine revs dropped below 1200 rpm. The fuel pressure built up too highd then limp mode followed within seconds.
So not quite the same but similar.
Definately not an alternator issue IMHO.
I can only advise you get it to good Land Rover indie to properly diagnose it.
Good luck 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #509421 21st Mar 2019 11:58am
Fraynizzle

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

first code is P2290 - Injector Control Pressure Too Low.

top 3 codes are all linked.

sounds like you just need to figure what is causing either actually low fuel pressure or a false low pressure reading...

would be to feed back to see if its the same issue as other have reported.

Post #509448 21st Mar 2019 3:30pm
Grofus

Why dont you open the bonnet and check that diesel is get pumped to the filter. Just pull the retaining clip on the feed pipe and pull off the pipe. Get someone to turn ignition on and off while you check the flow.
Go from there depending on what you find. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #509452 21st Mar 2019 3:48pm
Shaun_

Thanks guys.
Pending an update from Tugger on what his garage have found, I'll follow Grofus's advice and start by checking that diesel is getting through. 2012 TDV8 Westminster in the New Forest

Post #509466 21st Mar 2019 4:52pm
Shaun_

OK. So I checked diesel flow at the Schrader valve between the filter and the high pressure pump. Nothing. Checked the fuel pump fuse and relay, both in the fuse box under the bonnet. Both fine.

Took up the carpet under the rear seats to access the top of the fuel tank. This way I could hear that, in fact, the pump was working but it did sound as if fuel and/or air were being moved instead of the usual gentle hum.

Took the pump out of the access aperture to find that one of the hoses had become detached. In fact, it can't have been refitted correctly after the pump was replaced by my local indie some months ago (it's a 'click' fit).

So, a no-cost fix that just took a bit of chasing down.

Tugger...tell your garage to look at the low-pressure pump in the tank.

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to this post.

Best wishes

Shaun 2012 TDV8 Westminster in the New Forest

Post #509579 22nd Mar 2019 7:50pm
Tugger

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Glad you got yours sorted Shaun, and a no cost - bonus! Hope you enjoy many more miles of trouble free RR driving.

Good news on my side too, I got a call from the garage tonight telling me car was ready to be picked up, so headed straight over as I was missing my Rangie. It turns out the in-tank pump and got itself attached to the filter assembly on the tank outflow in such a way as to stop the flow. New filter fitted and pump checked over, all good. Car seems to be running fine so far. Treated her to a full tank of BP Ultimate as a welcome home gift!

Sounds like we both had very similar issues in the end - all that suspicion pointed at the electrics, turns out that was a red herring for both of us. Fingers crossed that's us both back to normal Cool

Been an interesting exercise in tracking down the root cause and eliminating other things along the way. Definitely learned a few things throughout this whole thing.

All the best Shaun! 09 RR Westminster 3.6TDV8 - Stornoway Grey / Black interior - now gone (sad face)
Nissan X Trail 1.6TDCi Tekna
Fiat 500 1.2

Post #509582 22nd Mar 2019 9:30pm
Shaun_

Glad you've got yours back, Tugger. Happy motoring. Have a great weekend.

S 2012 TDV8 Westminster in the New Forest

Post #509585 22nd Mar 2019 9:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>