Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Range Rover P38 > Bordeaux
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

In answer to my own question, JLR classic state their stereo won’t fit a P38, because a P38 is double din and their stereo is single din and only works on negatively earthed vehicles. I’m fairly sure the original stereo I’ve got is single din, just a radio / cassette player but I gave them the VIN so assume they know best. Rolling Eyes

Post #509988 27th Mar 2019 10:05am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

Dave Hodgett's entered the EKA via the diagnostic software and hey presto all good. I'm a bit wary about locking her up again, but it was good to hear her burst into life again! She will go back next week to have the central locking gremlins fixed and a few other niggles sorted out.

Post #510005 27th Mar 2019 1:52pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

It took me a while longer than planned to get her back to 4x4 Development and happily in the interim she didn't misbehave. She is still with Dave and he has been trying to get to the bottom of the random locking / unlocking. He's stripped and cleaned all of the plugs which were quite corroded, and he thought that had fixed it but then just this afternoon she decided to lock up. Most annoying! He's also sorting the cruise control which needs replacement pipes for the vacuum system. LR no longer supply them, but its pretty common hose so Ebay to the rescue. I also sourced a brass t-piece to replace the rather fragile plastic one.

All being well I'll pick her up next week Thumbs Up

Post #514105 3rd May 2019 2:59pm
Benfelrr

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green

Huttopia wrote:
In answer to my own question, JLR classic state their stereo won’t fit a P38, because a P38 is double din and their stereo is single din and only works on negatively earthed vehicles. I’m fairly sure the original stereo I’ve got is single din, just a radio / cassette player but I gave them the VIN so assume they know best. Rolling Eyes

I would argue Land Rover are certainly wrong. P38 is single din not double. For sure. RE the negative earth thing, I have no idea about that though but the genuine P38 stereos both Clarion and HK are single din. Smile 2003 VW Golf V6 4motion
2001 Range Rover Vogue 4.6
1982 Range Rover in VOGUE
1990 Range Rover Vogue SE
2007 Audi A6 Avant Le Mans Quattro S-Line 3.0 TDI
2007 Skoda Ovtavia 2.0 TDI L&K
2007 GSX-R 750 K7

Post #514253 4th May 2019 3:36pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

They actually came back to me re the stereo to confirm it is single DIN, so we aren’t going mad. They still state that a P38 can’t take the infotainment system because the surround is too wide and they aren’t prepared to make one to match. That isn’t a great surprise as I imagine there isn’t much demand, but I’d have thought someone with a 3D printer and a bit of an idea could crack it.

In other Bordeaux related news, the central locking gremlins have been sorted out- all down to badly corroded connectors. She has been hooked up to a test bench all weekend and hasn’t cycled the locking once!! She’s also had an oil and filter change and the cruise control hose and t piece replaced so that now works fine. Small steps to getting her right. Body work next but funds are in short supply at the moment.

Post #515243 13th May 2019 7:30pm
Benfelrr

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green

Happy days! There are posts on t'interweb where people have fitted a tablet in place of the sat nav screen and built their own so to speak. Some of them look pretty impressive. 2003 VW Golf V6 4motion
2001 Range Rover Vogue 4.6
1982 Range Rover in VOGUE
1990 Range Rover Vogue SE
2007 Audi A6 Avant Le Mans Quattro S-Line 3.0 TDI
2007 Skoda Ovtavia 2.0 TDI L&K
2007 GSX-R 750 K7

Post #515253 13th May 2019 8:24pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

Thought I’d stretch her legs this weekend so ditched the normal family wagon and took the P38 down to Pembrokeshire, about 130 miles via Presteigne, Builth Wells and Llandovery. Mrs H and the kids prefer it as there is more space and the seats are comfier for kipping!

The sensor on the brake fluid reservoir got a bit sensitive but was quiet after a top up. Other than that, she hasn’t missed a beat. Even my VW T5 mad mate down there was almost impressed 🤔.

So that’s 1500 miles since Jan, and about 5k for the year. Now at 61k.

Post #521750 15th Jul 2019 5:57am
DavidL

England 

If you wanted a nav system you could look at the Becker single din that came in freelanders. Look the part , have a LR splash screen and are good quality too. £100 or so on eBay, model 4765.

Post #521840 15th Jul 2019 10:20pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

Thanks David, they look good value. I’m not sure if the wiring in the P38 will support that unit- any ideas?

Thanks

Huttopia

Post #521963 16th Jul 2019 8:27pm
DavidL

England 

I have one in my Classic; now I'm aware the rear sub and amp aren't working through it but the HU has a reasonable amp.
IIRC the P38 Clarion unit is visibly identical to the classic one but they aren't the same inside. P38 have speaker amps so when I put a p38 unit in my classic all that worked was the sub. In theory you would have too many amps in the loop with a HU amp and speaker amps. Somehow you would need to either bypass one or the other.
How I don't know!

Post #521969 16th Jul 2019 9:37pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

MOT passed with no advisories at exactly 61,000m. Happy days. I'm now trying to sort the dampers for the glove box and the cubby box, both are shot and I have replacements, but helpfully the originals are riveted in, so a little awkward to remove. Getting there.

Post #532410 28th Oct 2019 10:10am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

The gear selector switch is playing up, if the vehicle doesn’t think it is in P it won’t start. It was a bit sticky previously. A new switch is £300 ish, an eBay used part is £40. Another job for the list...

Post #534788 19th Nov 2019 6:54am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

Ball joints done on the drivers side front wheel- but the ABS sensor isn’t happy so the dash is beeping about ABS and Traction failure....she drives fine but it’s annoying. Back to the garage Wednesday for a fix. My guess / hope is the sensor isn’t home. Anyone experienced similar in the dim and distant?

Post #540225 11th Jan 2020 4:48pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

The garage fitted a non Wabco sensor, which isn't sending back a meesage, hence the error. I'm now looking for a Wabco sensor for sensible money....

Post #543215 6th Feb 2020 1:40pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

So the P38 is in for a bit of tlc. The wheel sensor has been replaced but the fault is still showing. It may be the Wabco ABS ECU. The ride is a bit unsettled so the front ball joints need doing. There is a very new leak into the drivers footwell, I suspect the windscreen surround. Oh and she needs a service.

It will be good to get her back in better health. That’s the thing with P38s, you’ve got to keep on top of them or you end up with a massive list of expensive jobs and get to the point of not bothering. A shame as a well maintained P38 is a great drive.

Post #546834 11th Mar 2020 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>