Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Motor Insurance...the compulsory rip off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DaveK

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue
Motor Insurance...the compulsory rip off

Lets face it, there would be people who wouldnt pay if it where a £100 a year but putting these a side, I wonder how muchof a part the insidious Insurance Premium Tax has played in these figures ? To have some thing that is compulsory by law then to introduce a tax on it is wrong in my opinion.

Post #502382 22nd Jan 2019 11:25am
SausageCreature

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Channel Four desptaches exposed the insurance scam and calculated that the UK motor industry was ripping the British public off to the tune of £200,000,000 a year through "authorised dealers" and the inflated prices they use when doing insurance deals.
Chartwells in Derby tried to charge my insurer £580 for reading the faults from memory.
They also quoted my insurer £5000 to repair my rear bumper. But I traded the car in and the didnt need the work doing because the garage that bought it polished out the damage in less than 1 minute.

The Office of Fair Trading submitted a report to the Competition Commission some time ago on the UK Motor Insurance Industry claiming it was an “entirely dysfunctional” industry mainly because of the extreme levels of corruption and dishonesty in how they conduct themselves. The Competition Commission was due to publish its findings this year. They said it was a "criminal industry". Unfortunately for the public, the OFT was closed as part of austerity measures, and the CMA who should have picked up the report were just "too busy" to do anything with the findings, and so it got lost in the process.

Disgusting industry. As are the banks. At least the bankers keep ending up in court and prison.

Post #511934 13th Apr 2019 12:39pm
SausageCreature

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/the-ca...ng-racket/

Post #511937 13th Apr 2019 12:48pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Oh yes, I’ve has those calls telling me that I’m entitled to compensation money, that it’s already been put aside for me and that these are the symptoms that I need to look out for and if I haven’t felt them yet, I probably will - in just a few days, when they will be phoning me back.

How many must be tempted? But they are being tempted into committing insurance fraud? Shocked Many could very easily be tempted into a very dark place Sad 2011 FL2 TD4 XS Kosrae Green
2012 FL2 TD4 HSE Firenze Red
2013 FL2 SD4 HSE Lux Firenze Red
2015 D4 SDV6 HSE Firenze Red
2015 D4 SDV6 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2017 FFRR SDV8 AB Aintree Green
& 2013 Tiger 1200

Post #511990 13th Apr 2019 11:17pm
gj88

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

What a load of rubbish.

I agree, IPT is a pain in the arse, but Insurers don't like it either.

Examples above of how Insurance is dodgy seem to just suggest that some garages take the mick, which we all knew already. Why anyone would think that it's in an insurers interest to let a garage charge them more than your yearly premium for basic diagnostics, so the only person in the process making a loss is the insurer is beyond me.

Not a clue where you've been Sausagecreature, but the Competition Commission report was produced about 5 years ago, didn't call the industry any of the things you've said, and passed the findings to the CMA. The CMA produced a report which said the only real issues were in relation to calculation and visibility of no claims discount, and stopped the industry offering discounts to certain online comparison sites. These orders came into force in 2015/16 and haven't been an issue.

Also linking a rubbish article because the author has a bee in his bonnet isn't evidence of anything.

Completely agree with your points Merle, but I'd say that those calls aren't driven by the industry, and insurers have put an awful lot of money into trying to stop them, they cost us a fortune, there are whole teams dedicated to stamping them out.

I get that not everybody has had great service from certain insurers, but as someone who's entire job is governance of insurance, everything above is either not decided by Insurers (IPT, cold-callers etc) or utter bo***cks.

Post #512028 14th Apr 2019 11:54am
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

IPT was a tax introduced to maintain tax revenues when other taxes were reduced/removed. Air Passenger Duty is the same. From HM Treasury’s point of view its a no brainer; a tax on ‘discretionary’ purchase ( in their minds, you don’t have to have a car.....) so easy to identify and collect - like VAT you even get someone else to collect it. If you want to blame someone then look to the dishonest politicians. Yes the rate of income tax has been reduced, but for Mr or Mrs Average, the overall tax take has gone up with all these weasel taxes on consumption. For those of us who through hard work and enterprise have managed to make a few quid, its even worse.

As for the price of insurance, well I’ve just renewed with NFU Mutual. £684 fully comp max NCD and business use for a fatty kept on the street in an affluent town in SE. All the on line quotes were MUCH higher, LR insurance quoted double!

Post #512060 14th Apr 2019 3:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1