Home > Technical (L322) > Offroading and now suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
Offroading and now suspension fault

Hi,

My work now takes me into some rather nice locations offroad (I survey wind turbines using a drone), my Rangie has found itself in some amazing places! Last week I was in Northern Ireland at Screggagh Windfarm near Omagh. All went well until hald way home 'suspension fault max speed 30 mph' message. I was actually on the motorway when I got the message, not a rough road etc. I pulled over, switched off and back on, fault cleared, all good for most of the way to Dublin to catch the ferry. 2 miles to go the same message. Got to the port, checked round the car no evidence of an air leak, car staying afloat on all corners.
Boarded the ferry, car all good. After the crossing front offside completely down. Started the car, straight back up to normal height. Every bump and corner I could hear escaping air (like lorry air brakes). On the motorway all good for a while and then 'car raising in progress' occasionally 'car will raise when system has cooled). Made it all the way home, faster speeds seemed better, 70 mph all good, 50mph alternating messages.
Made to home, yesterday it had stayed up all night which seemed really odd. Started the car selected offroad high and definitely losing a load of air from front offside.
Had a look at the manual, various youtube video's and of course on here and decided to do the job myself. Ordered a pair of new airbags from Island 4x4 which should be here on Tuesday. Hopefully it will be as straight forward as it looks.
Any hints and tips appreciated, I'll try and take some photos as I progress. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #512556 19th Apr 2019 7:18am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

While waiting for the new parts give the bottom bolts a good dose of releasing oil. They can be a Censored to get out. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #512558 19th Apr 2019 7:31am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

When refitting the strut, ensure there is weight on the hub similar to the wheel being fitted when tightening those 2 bolts otherwise the alignment will be out - I jacked under the brake disc hub.

Post #512563 19th Apr 2019 9:14am
AJGalaxy2012

Thanks guys, I have already given the bolts a liberal dose of plus gas and will keep doing so until the big day arrives. Thanks for the tip on adding weight, I'll certainly do that.

J BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #512568 19th Apr 2019 10:10am
AJGalaxy2012

Thanks for the tips guys....

I ordered the airbag from Island 4 x 4 on Thursday, Friday of course was a holiday but it was delivered on Saturday morning via DPD, brilliant service, thank you Island 4 x 4, seems to be a quality part at a sensible price.

So I decided I should do the job today, it all went straight forward except the drop link, what a complete pain in arse that was. I ended up having to grind the nut off.

Once that was off, absolute text book, dead easy, I was pleasantly surprised how simple and straight forward the strut was. Took great care with the 'O' rings, used special lube for them (borrowed when I worked offshore), and it was all good. Put the strut back on with the help my son to guide it into place and add the nuts, everything else fine. Back on the wheels, suspension came fine, went for a drive, utopia, no problems.

Just going to replace both drop links when they arrive and that will be it done. Apart from grinding the nut off the drop link, 1 hr from start to finish, very impressed.

Thanks for the help and advice from here, great place for old fatty. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #512750 21st Apr 2019 4:22pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Well done Thumbs Up When you do the drop links remember the washers go to the inside not under the nuts. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #512757 21st Apr 2019 5:02pm
AJGalaxy2012

Thanks for that, they would have been under the nuts for me for sure.

The ones that are on dont have any flats on the inside, I had to use an angle grinder to remove it. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #512767 21st Apr 2019 5:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1