Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Engine Noise Cancellation - SVAutobiography & PHEV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Alexander Caplan

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black
Engine Noise Cancellation - SVAutobiography & PHEV

Apparently both PHEV and SVAutobiography vehicles (only) use noise cancellation technology to reduce unwanted engine noise within the cabin. There are 4 interior engine noise cancellation microphones fitted in the headliner on both vehicles - "anti-sound" frequencies are played through the bass and subwoofer speakers to counter the noise inside the vehicle.
Combined with the thicker glass on MY18+, this really does render the cabin a supremely tranquil environment in the PHEV, even when the engine unfortunately kicks in.

Post #514349 5th May 2019 10:41am
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

With the advent of PHEV vehicles, a particularly new issue is a low frequency booming noise, caused during charging of batteries using the internal combustion engine. During charging, the engine is operated at low rotational speeds and high loads, leading to pronounced low frequency noise. While in the past reducing low frequency noise either required large absorbers and/or heavy dampers, today the issue can be tackled by use of an Active Noise Cancellation system.
Jaguar Land Rover decided to introduce an Active Noise Cancellation system in the PHEV variants of their vehicles. The system builds upon software by Müller-BBM Active Sound Technology GmbH and makes use of the existing audio amplifiers. The only extra hardware component required are microphones in the vehicle headliner.
Overall, the ANC system only adds minimum weight to the vehicle, but allows for noise reduction in excess of 10dB at frequencies below 40 Hz during charge sustain idle operation. In addition, the system enabled JLR to also cancel noise at other operating conditions, allowing several mass-dampers to be removed and offering weight reduction opportunities of around 5 kg.

Post #514378 5th May 2019 4:40pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

So perhaps this explains why the PHEV in Vogue trim comes with Meridian 825W as standard...

Is there also a Passenger Noise Cancelation solution? Sign me up if there is!

Post #514411 6th May 2019 4:44am
SY2020

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Carpathian Grey

Hi guys, newbie here but very interested to learn about the Active Noise Cancellation technology in the PHEV. Is this confirmed to be in all P400e? I have recently acquired one and on good days, I have to say, the car's has amazing sound insulation and minimal noise in the cabin. On "bad days", there is a booming low frequency resonance type noise which is very annoying. Reading your comments, I just wonder if some days the software is working well and some days the software simply mis-times the cancelling bass sound and it is very audible?

Anyone else experience this please?

Thank you and regards
Shen

Post #544290 18th Feb 2020 12:31pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I have not experienced this. And I have not heard about the noise cancellation before or since. But if it’s true, once reason not to use it in marketing would be if it’s experimental and might go wrong... this was they don’t need to fix it. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #544293 18th Feb 2020 12:40pm
SY2020

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Carpathian Grey

Mine is MY19 and yours MY20. Wonder if the MY19s have got this problem and MY20s not. I bought one in June 19 (Vogue SE P400e) and it had the issue. Upgraded to the AB in November 19 and same problem. Sigh.

Post #544294 18th Feb 2020 12:48pm
Lyonhead

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

ilard wrote:
So perhaps this explains why the PHEV in Vogue trim comes with Meridian 825W as standard...

Is there also a Passenger Noise Cancelation solution? Sign me up if there is!

Ilard,

Would you believe it, but, there is a system on the SVA that allows passengers voice in the rear of the car to come out through the speakers in the front as you travel along. Switched it off on day one and it hasn’t been on since Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 19MY SVA-Dynamic Spectral Chromoflair Blue but colour not available in profile
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue - Gone
2010 RRS 5.0 Supercharged Navara Bronze - Gone
2008 RRS 4.2 Supercharged Black - Gone
2006 RRS 2.7 Diesel Rimini Red- Gone

Post #544296 18th Feb 2020 1:17pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Yeah, I have conversation assist too (ie Signature tunes), but even with it off I can still hear all the whining! I wonder if this is what’s masking my 4-pot drivetrain....

However, Ive now found this report about the noise cancellation. No mention of SVA but mentions JLR PHEV. I am wondering if the 1700W system is somehow more effective in the way it cancels noises vs the 825W meaning I am getting a better experience. I am too tight to spend the $33 to potentially find out

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical...8-01-1562/ L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #544298 18th Feb 2020 1:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1