Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Rear bumper removal and sensor replaced - easy job!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Vogue Owner

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Rear bumper removal and sensor replaced - easy job!

So guys , I've replaced my faulty rear park sensor.

The job took 1 hour all in - except the colour coding of the new sensor.

No pictures I'm afraid but hopefully my explanation below with suffice.

Rear mudguards removed by 3 hex head screws.

Lift the rear bumper trim (the plastic strip on top of the bumper) by simply putting your nails or small flat head screwdriver at the front (the edge leading to the back of the car) pulling up slightly and slowly and the trim comes up (there are 5 moulded strips on the bottom of the trim that hook under the bumper aperture).

When this is released , open the lower tailgate at an angle and the trim lifts out.

Undo the 6 or so hex screws under the trim (you need a flexible socket head whilst tilting the lower tailgate to get these screws out).

Under the car there are a further 5 no. 6mm hex head screws that hold the black lower section to the inner steel bumper - take these out.

Ok now for the fiddy bit.

At the front of the bumper where you have taken the mudguards off , you need to prize this away gently and pull gently down , you will see 2 slots either side between the side of the bumper where it meets the rear wing. Push a small flat head screw driver in and wiggle the bumper out.

Do both sides and you should find that they are both loose and detached from the body sides.

Now with another person , slowly pull the whole rear bumper back.

The sensor lead to the driver side sensor is long enough just that you can lay the bumper face down on the floor.

To remove the sensor , you need 2 small flat head screw drivers and some long nose pliers.

Pull the sensor plug out of the sensor by squeezing the clip and pulling up.

When you look into the moulded cowling where the sensor is (from behind the bumper) you can see 2 clips (approx 8mm long either side of the sensor). Put a screw driver down the side of each between the sensor and the clip, this releases
the clips from the sensor. Grab the sensor using the pliers holding onto the plug socket hole and pull out slowly whilst
jiggling the sensor. It should simply pull straight out.

Then push the new sensor home (£20 of flea bay ) , replace the plug and place all components and screws in reverse order above.

Quite an easy job and very satisfying.

Works a treat now.

Ray CURRENT : FFRR 2012 4.4 TDV8
GONE : Discovery 4
GONE : BMW M5
GONE : L322 Range Rover
GONE : 2007 MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER
GONE : SAAB 9-3 VECTOR SPORT
GONE : BMW M3
GONE : SIERRA COSWORTH
GONE : LOTUS CORTINA
GONE : MK1 MEXICO
GONE : MK2 RS2000

Post #58419 3rd Apr 2011 11:21am
p-trax

Japan 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

isn't the search function great ? Laughing

Useful info to assist with installing towing armature Thumbs Up Gerry

Post #64484 18th May 2011 9:58am
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

How much easier or harder is it to get to the front sensors, my drivers side corner sensor seems to be playing up?

Post #67301 6th Jun 2011 6:29pm
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Appreciate this is an old post but having done this job yesterday on my 3.6 (2009) I thought I'd add a couple of comments to what is a very helpful post:

- No mudguards on my car - there were two hex head screws (10mm socket) and a plastic rivet at the base of the bumper on the wheel arch each side to remove.
- The plastic rivet needed a forked trim tool to remove and a bit of lubrication to get back in (it was very tight).
- A trim tool is also useful for lifting the edge of the upper bumper trim. Then you can pull it up with your fingers.
- The 5 screws on top / below the bumper are an 8mm socket. It's a good idea to have a small piece of card or similar to protect the boot lid. You can get on them with an extension and a small socket set.
- I had no trouble removing the side clips - perhaps it's been off before? It was also a warmish day so the bumper was a bit more pliable.
- The bumper cover is not heavy - it was easy to lift off myself and lay on an old bit of carpet. Just be careful of the loom that runs down the RHS.

Overall much easier than I'd expected. 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #515173 13th May 2019 8:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1