Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Theft and alarms/security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
torjak

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Galway Green
Theft and alarms/security

I had my L322 '11 plate stolen a few weeks back, luckily the police managed to get it back the next day after a pursuit. On the bright side the thief has pled guilty, hopefully he gets a decent sentence.

Anyway what I wanted to get people's thoughts on was keys and security.

I kept both keys in faraday pouches and have tested they work, as the car won't recognise them to start the car when I'm sat in the cabin with the keys in the pouch.

So what happened was that the window was smashed and they managed to drive away. They have obviously been rummaging around the electronics in the rear. What is more disturbing is that another key was found with the car - what to my untrained eye is a LR key rather than RR key? Pictures attached.

Does anyone have any knowledge in this arae, I'm keen to understand what else can be done to prevent future thefts, and also whether the security is just fundamentally insufficient 8 years on?

Post #517408 4th Jun 2019 1:36pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

They have probably coded a new key for the car after gaining access through the smashed window! Since the good old EU started block exemption! This basically allows any tech company the ability to code keys rather then JLR having a monopoly!

A locking cover for your OBD2 socket? Move the socket and put a blank in its place? At least they will move on from yours if they cannot code a key!

BUT, the risk is then will they attack your home to steal the keys?

Post #517411 4th Jun 2019 1:56pm
kds2

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

A stop lock on the steering wheel might help, yes it`s a pain in the arris but its some thing else a thief has got to deal with so slows them down a bit, years ago a chap had his astra pinched a couple of times, got it back I repaired the door and replaced the locks for him and got me to fit a chain to the seat base which he put round the steering wheel with a pad lock it never went missing again after that.

Post #517471 4th Jun 2019 9:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1