Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > New kid without a RR [embarrassed emoji]
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey
New kid without a RR [embarrassed emoji]

New kid at school & feels like the first day amongst the bigger boys so please don't bully me! Laughing

ok, so, new kid without a RR probably doesn't bode well, but give me time. If you're comfortable.....I'll begin:
I've got a Z4 play thing in the garage for sunny days & summer [hibernates during the winter] & also an '05 X5 3.0d which over the past 4 years has been immense, totally immense, trouble free & love the old girl to bits. But, it's time for a change & always in the back of my mind I fancied a FFRR. It started off being a V8 petrol '03 ish then graduated to a '57 TDV8 then up to a 3.6 TDV8 facelift.....now for heavens sake, the brain is whispering 4.4 TDV8......nurse........NURSE! Laughing Laughing
I read a lot, I listen a lot & I take notice of those who know more than I do.........honestly I do. Majority of people say "stay clear of a RR......period. Go for a newer X5 far more reliable". That's the issue I have .....reliabilty. The X5 has been wonderful, I only cover 6k miles a year [towing a caravan & trials trailer]. Most people laugh at the FFRR reliability issue, is it a figment of their imagination, scaremongering or just simple fact? The guy who services our cars says "star clear of the RR"......the MOT garage says like-wise.
So, onto Auto Trader I go looking for a really nice X5.....& they're on there, plenty of them, all similar money to the FFRR....but..........it's not much difference to my old X5! Crying or Very sad
Then I look under FFRR......I have a certain colour/spec that would bore the backside off you, but when I load these girls up............that's it........I'm smitten! I want a FFRR ['11 plate sub 80k decent history] & I probably won't be satisfied until I have one. I fancy the 4.4 over the 3.6 purely because I've read that turbo failure is common on the 3.6 & of course one gets an 8 speed 'box on the 4.4.
The thing that worries me is the 'money pit' label that seems to go with them. I read about oil pipes, turbo pipes, starter motors & even worse.....rust.......rust on an 11 plate?

It's the old adage of "you always hear about complaints but rarely hear of the good points" & this maybe part & parcel of the FFRR.

Hope I haven't bored you, just thought I'd put my 'two pennyworth on hear & soak up the valuable knowledge of those who know more than me.
Appreciate your time.

Post #517514 5th Jun 2019 4:01pm
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Well you started badly and then got worse BMW indeed Rolling with laughter

Have a little faith ! :-

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic47597-180.html

Seriously though, and I do mean that, I wouldn't be without mine, it's 3 cars in one

Fast enough to be sporty (select sport and sand -- you'll smile)

Comfortable enough to be like your front room

Big enough to run a business from the boot

What more could you need?

(oh yeah a Censored SatNav that you can get updates for) Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #517524 5th Jun 2019 4:35pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Welcome to the forum Fox, a wealth of knowledge here !!

There are 3 easy steps to FFRR ownership.

1. Find one nearby similar to what you fancy, i.e. 4.4TDV8
2. Go and test drive it....
3. Eh, that's it.

Thumbs Up

Post #517527 5th Jun 2019 4:48pm
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

I went from an e53 to a 4.2 S/c and it's the best move I ever made. The e53 is a good car and having a 2006 Le Mans, it had all the bells and whistles. The Range Rover is a much better car and the choice of a S/c was easy with mileage of about 3k per year. Actually, with your proposed mileage, do you really want a diesel?

I'd look at a 5.0 S/c and you'll do away with a lot of potential diesel pit falls. As I understand it, the diesel is not a viable option until you get to about 16k per year. With the current outlook on diesel and the price per litre, is it really a sensible option. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #517531 5th Jun 2019 5:35pm
archermav

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I had a TDV8 for 4 years and only put 12-13000 on it in that time. Just every now and then took it for a blast. Was the most reliable car I've ever had, it's on 155000. Just brilliant at everything. She's only gone as I've bought a 405.

Buy one, they are great.

Post #517533 5th Jun 2019 6:00pm
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I did briefly look at a 5.0 s/c but the thought of towing a caravan 1000k miles at 12mpg[?] doesn't bear thinking about........or does it?
Because of my low's miles per annum, I am conscious of a diesel not liking running around locally & would a petrol actually be that bad?
Last question, when looking for said 5.0 s/c boy do they ask a premium, I would have thought a petrol guzzling V8 would be given away but they're dearer than a derv!

Thanks to everyone for their input so far, much appreciated. Even more would be gratefully received Very Happy

Post #517536 5th Jun 2019 6:06pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

You can see my back catalogue below....

I drive around 36,000 miles a year and run these with my own money. I’ve had two problems worthy of mention over the last 8 years, but they’ve been as reliable as any other car I’ve owned and a lot better than many. I’ve no intention of changing the current one for at least another 2 years and 3 months and probably A LOT. longer than that! If all goes well, I’d like to see another 10 years out of it.

These cars aren’t cheap to buy and run and the biggest risk has got to be be on the receiving end of years of skimped serving and repairs. Buy carefully, with full documented history paramount and enjoy Thumbs Up

Post #517538 5th Jun 2019 6:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1