Home > Technical (L322) > Rear wiper and washer problems SOLVED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Qahmed95

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Monte Carlo Blue
Rear wiper and washer problems SOLVED

[img]Hello again.
I took apart the wiper motor today to change the plastic gear as it would stop midway and needed a little nudge to continue. Changed the gear and the wiper did not work. So I put a constant 12v onto the wiper and it started working, the only issue is that it stops randomly along the cycle and doesn't go back to the rest position.
The second issue is the rear washer. When I put 12v to the washer pump, the water squirts about perfectly, but when pushing the stalk back, absolutely nothing from the washer pump.
Any ideas?

Car is a 2004 L322 Vogue TD6
Thanks a lot[/img]

Last edited by Qahmed95 on 10th Jun 2019 10:00am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #517883 9th Jun 2019 1:48pm
BMG

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Ive not taken the L322 unit apart, but i believe it's the same basic design as the BMW E46 Compact wiper - as in poor design, and one I've worked on.
I bought a replacement wheel and it was very sensitive to stopping / starting / parking due to the magnet on the wheel and it passing under the black box which is the trigger to stop.
The wheel I bought off eBay was a poor copy, actually slightly smaller in size , so much so the motor didn't engage properly and I had to shim the motor to angle it in. I also stuck a small washer under the wheel to raise it up. This cured the problem for me, which I assume was the magnet.
I'd double check the magnet is in the correct place , the black electronics box is clipped in tight and no grease of muck.

If the washer pump works, then it's probably blocked up at the wiper motor. Either in the black plastic cap where the hose connects, or in the steel part that passes through the body and rotates.

Post #517919 9th Jun 2019 10:01pm
Qahmed95

Ok so I'm going to attach a link to one similar to the new gear, it didn't have a magnet underneath, it did have two slots on either end. I had a look at the original and it does have a magnet. So that solves the stopping issue. I'm going to remove the plastic around the slot and glue the magnet on the correct spot. We'll see how that goes.

Secondly, the washer was operated with the pipe off the wiper motor, when the stalk is pushed nothing happens, I hotwired the pump with 12v and it sprayed out perfectly. The problem is that it's not activating from the stalk.

Thanks for your help, I was just about to give up on a working rear wiper.
Laughing

Link
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=ht...2538488520

Post #517922 9th Jun 2019 10:12pm
BMG

Sorry, misread the bit about the washer, ignore that, although do give both bits a good clean out.

Yep, the magnet will just poke out and slide into the new wheel, shouldn't need to cut or glue. Hopefully that takes care of that.
I believe they have a cut off time , so if it doesn't sense it correct number of sweeps and park position, it cuts off after a time, so not constantly going.

Post #517924 9th Jun 2019 11:03pm
Qahmed95

So the problem was the magnet, it stops perfectly now after 1 sweep and the washers work perfectly now. They must be linked to the position of the wiper
Thank you very much for your help

Post #517932 10th Jun 2019 9:06am
BMG

Thumbs Up

Post #517933 10th Jun 2019 9:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1