Home > General (L405) > Hi to all! Eventually found the courage to buy an L405
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
M99TYK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Fuji White
Hi to all! Eventually found the courage to buy an L405

Hi everyone,

I have gone and bought myself an early 14 L405 with a smidge over 30k on the clock.

I bought the car from Stratstone but missed out on the LR warranty by a couple of month as apparently it’s a max of 5 year old cars, they’ve given me a warranty but not sure if it’s worth the paper it’s written on. Anyone with any experience with these?

The car so far seams immaculate, well looked after and free of issues apart from the drivers door creaking/cracking when opening.
I have looked but it doesn’t seem to be touching any panels as I’ve heard they can sometimes do, I’m hoping it’s just as simple as applying some grease and tightening the bolt/nut.

Are there any areas of the car that i should be looking at you’s have learnt through experience in terms of maintenance?

Sorry for the long winded post Rolling Eyes

Matt

Post #518290 13th Jun 2019 9:08am
Brunel

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

I thought all used cars from LR main dealers got a 2 year warranty. I bought a 2014 L405 recently that was 1 month 'too old' but they gave me the 2 year warranty, 30 day exchange etc

I'd push them for the 2 year used full lLR warranty as advertised and if it doesn't materialise, return the car. These things are too complex/expensive to fix and you're paying a premium buying from a LR dealer so should get the warranty

Stuart

Post #518298 13th Jun 2019 10:44am
M99TYK

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for replying. I did put this across to them but they then stated that cars older than 5 years do not come with an le warranty. They have given me a 2 year warranty but it isn’t the Land Rover warranty.

Yours may be have been registered later to keep it under 5 years?

Post #518302 13th Jun 2019 11:02am
Brunel

I was only 3 weeks outside the 5 year window

Post #518303 13th Jun 2019 11:34am
M99TYK

Is there any way I can purchase an extended warranty directly for LR?

Post #518304 13th Jun 2019 11:36am
Brunel

I think it's been covered on another thread(s) if you search. Answer is that you can, around £1500/1600/year and need to 'pass' the 165-point check and get anything fixed that it throws up

Post #518305 13th Jun 2019 11:43am
M99TYK

I’ve tried entering the details online but it’s showing ‘No products that match your vehicle details’. I’ll give them a call and see if they can help that way.

Post #518307 13th Jun 2019 12:05pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

They are feeding you nonsense my friend... 10yrs or 100K are JLR limits!

As mentioned above, extended warranty costs them £1500 per year so, its a simple money issue for selling dealers... I went through the same thing last year when i purchased mine through a dealer! I simply told them 2yrs or i walk!

Post #518309 13th Jun 2019 1:14pm
M99TYK

Thanks Craig,

Unfortunately all car salesmen seem to be the same. They are claiming they aren’t an approved centre now and it’s only the service centre that is LR approved. I may have been a little too naive with this one.

Am I now in any position to have Stratstone pay for the 2yr car care warranty? I’ve spoken to CarCare and they have told me I’d need to pay for a 165point check on the car prior to any warranty being approved. I’m happy to do that, although there should be no issues considering I only picked the car up 2 days ago Laughing

Thanks for the help btw!

Post #518338 13th Jun 2019 3:30pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

If they (Stratstone) are really playing silly bu99ers and being too much like an Arthur Daley, I’d be very tempted indeed to tell them to stuff it and get my money back (assuming they honour the 30 day exchange), regardless of car condition.

Imagine how they will be when something does go wrong and it’s NOT the official LR warranty. David

Please let me know if my comments upset you, I may wish to upset you again.

Post #518351 13th Jun 2019 4:30pm
Bigfella70

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Congratulations on your new car, any chance of some photos and details on first impressions etc when you get chance ?

In terms of warranty, IMHO the supplying dealer should be providing the 2 year official warranty. Stratstone seem to be part of the LR dealer network under the approved used programme. For them to state only their workshop is approved seems a real cop out !

I don't think you should be paying a penny for inspections or additional warranty costs.

I'd suggest escalating to management level and Land Rover customer relations to get the car on proper cover.

No doubt you want to keep the car and enjoy it. You will have paid the proper retail level price and should be able to expect the full protection of an approved used warranty.

Hope this gets resolved very soon. Current
2016 MY L405 SDV8
2018 VW Golf GT EVO
Previous
2002 L322 TD6
2004 Mercedes R230 SL350
1994 993 Carrera
Range Rover P38 x3
Range Rover 3.9 EFI

Post #518424 14th Jun 2019 7:16am
M99TYK

Thanks @bigfell70, I’m waiting for a phone call today after speaking with them yesterday. Hopefully they’ll have some better news, if not I’ll ask to take it further.

I’ll get some photos on over the weekend once I’ve had time to give it a good wash. The interior has lots of nooks and crannies that love to collect dust, can’t wait to get them nicely polished, always makes a huge difference.

Other than test drives it’s the first time I’ve driven a car of this size. For the past 6 years I’ve been driving hot hatches, more recently an S3, which is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum.

I must say first impressions of the RR are just wow. It’s like driving a magic carpet, the way it moves and effortlessly glides across our great UK roads Rolling Eyes . I was quite nervous at first that it would feel to heavy, especially coming from an S3 on aftermarket coils, but that comfort! I found out you don’t need lead in your boots to enjoy a car Laughing .

Anyway I’ll keep the post updated and let yous know how I get on.

Post #518431 14th Jun 2019 8:02am
Japseroony

England 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

I have to say Stratstone as a dealership are probably one of the worst ever to deal with. They are a LR approved dealership, are moving into new premises in July with Jaguar in the same building and do offer the 2 year LR approved warranty on vehicles over 5 years old.

If they don't then I think from memory they are breaking the LR approved car agreement as anything they sell that is an approved vehicle must have the appropriate warranty or they have to trade the vehicle on and are not allowed to sell it on the forecourt!

My advice would be to go back and hand back the keys for a full refund unless they agree to the approved warranty FOC.

There are plenty of FFRR out there and many at dealers that will treat you with respect but you might have to travel to get one - makes driving it home all the more satisfying though knowing if something goes wrong you should be covered Thumbs Up "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #518453 14th Jun 2019 11:54am
specman

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aruba

When I bought my L322 in Perth from Stratstone in 2010 they tried to wriggle out of several points on the adverts. One was tow bar, no they said when I picked it up there was no tow bar advertised with the car, good for me I had the advert saved in my phone. Someone had whipped the detachable out the boot, they ended up supplying a new one, plus I knew it had been there when I test drove it weeks previously.

Likewise they tried to avoid refurbishing two of the alloys as promised.
All these were addressed but the warranty offered was not a LR one, their excuse was the car had been dropped by £4k to move it on so it would be a non LR warranty. I was happy with that one though as the drop was genuine.

The Stratstone pre-paid service deal offered was crap, I told them when I went for the first service it was showing an inspection but they said it only covered an oil service first time. I did take a full service plan refund under mis-selling.

So buying from Stratstone is very much buyer beware.
I hope you get sorted with them, stand your ground though and be prepared to throw toys out of the pram.

Post #518454 14th Jun 2019 12:24pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Sorry to sound gloomy about this but I must echo everything negative said about Stratstones.
Unfortunately they now have your money so you aren't in a strong bargaining position, I suspect that relying on goodwill wont get far with this lot and to be fair to them why would they give up some of their profit because you now want a different deal to the one that you agreed?
My guess is that the only way is to find a reason to reject the car, get your money back and start again, however if you like the car and it seems OK you might just want to enjoy it, my experience of Stratstones and JLR warranties has not been good, on every occasion they have argued that the fault wasn't covered so you may find the JLR warranty isn't all that it's cracked up to be!

Post #518462 14th Jun 2019 1:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>