Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Pirelli tyres.. choices, choices...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
j9ffy

France 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Pirelli tyres.. choices, choices...

Looking for a bit of guidance of tyre choice for a 2011 L322 4.4tdv8.

Currently has 255/50 r20 Pirelli scorpion zero m+s.

I've read through various threads and I am left with a couple of questions:

1. If I go with 255/55 r20 are there any "downsides" or is this the way to go (as many seem to suggest!).

2. In the Pirelli line-up I can see Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season. This seems to have a better Euro rating that the verdes and the standard zeros ( being: Roll resistance A Wet grip B Noise emissions 69 dB). Does anyone have experience with this tyre?

Any steer very much appreciated!
KR, J.

Post #516861 29th May 2019 3:50pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zermatt Silver

i know this isn't the answer to either of your questions but I have just put 4 Scorpion Zeros, M+S, 255x50x20 on my 2012 4.4tdv8 and I am very impressed. They are much quieter and are a noticeably softer ride than the Contis I took off. Current: FF Westminster money pit

Gone:
RRS 4.2 SC
RRS 3.6 TDV8
FL2 TD4

Last edited by Bradders on 29th May 2019 6:09pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #516863 29th May 2019 4:03pm
j9ffy

Thanks for the info - these are the tyres that I have on at the moment but need to replace. Just to be clear, the Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season is a different tyre to the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season and to the Pirelli Scorpion Zero (M+S).

For what it's worth, it's Eu ratings are superior to the others, being Roll resistance A Wet grip B Noise emissions 69 dB for the 110Y version ( and the same for the 110W version).

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season 110W is B, C, 71. The Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season 110Y is C, B, 72.

I just wondered if anyone had experience of this specific tyre given it's appealing "stats"?

Also, the shift to 55 from 50 ... I've read a few good things on various threads, and it seems a common to use these on L322s - just wondered if there are any negatives? FWIW, I drive very conservatively, so marginal at-the-limit differences under hard-cornering etc are unlikely to make any difference to me Very Happy

Thanks in advance for any info,
Best,
J.

Post #516876 29th May 2019 5:59pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

Hi, I have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season on 21" 405 rim`s very pleased with the performance all round and long life as they have a deep tread = longer life I still have 8mm after 15 months even after towing a large tin tent in the UK and Europe.

Post #516879 29th May 2019 6:43pm
j9ffy

Thanks Tinman... good to know.

Post #516885 29th May 2019 7:57pm
j9ffy

Pirelli website re SCORPION VERDE™ ALL SEASON:

"Scorpion Verde™ All Season is a Pirelli’s Green Performance Crossover & SUV tyre that takes full advantage of the most modern resources, structures and tread patterns to guarantee savings, respect to the environment, comfort and safety on all road surfaces. The lateral stability and the traction on wet and light snow, ensure all season performances. Scorpion Verde™ All Season features the M+S marking engraved on the sidewall."

Pirelli ratings:
DRY 8/10
WET 8/10
SNOW 7/10
COMFORT 9/10
OFFROAD 6/10
MILEAGE 9/10

Same again for SCORPION™ ZERO ALL SEASON:

"SCORPION™ ZERO ALL SEASON is the new UHP SUV All Season product developed for premium and prestige OE Car Makers engineered to maximize the performances during all the seasons, in every driving condition, also on light snow-covered roads.The perfect choice for sporty SUV, developed together with the most important OE car makers in order to offer excellent performance on dry and wet and grant the perfect fit for every vehicle.The innovative compounds combined with the asymmetric and optimized pattern provide UHP performance during all seasons, assuring outstanding levels of safety and comfort and minimizing the noise level."

Pirelli ratings:
DRY 9/10
WET 9/10
SNOW 8/10
COMFORT 9/10
OFFROAD 7/10

No "mileage" rating for these in the Pirelli blurb.

However, on the face of it the Scorpion Zero All Seasons look like a better bet, judging from the Pirelli and EU ratings. HOWEVER - I can't find a single reference to these anywhere on the forum, or a personal review anywhere on the internet, for that matter. Probably a function of my poor search skills, but weird that I can't find anything about these despite their apparent high ratings?

Anyone know anything about these bad boys?

R,
J.

Post #516908 30th May 2019 12:03am
j9ffy

Oh, and, fwiw, the Zero all seasons are about 30% more expensive at the main fitters this side of the channel, but can be had for the same px as the Verde's when shopping the online merchants (c 200 eur a corner (or c175 gbp... more whenever a UK politician mentions the B word Very Happy )).

Post #516910 30th May 2019 12:08am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Just on 55 v 50. My experience was that the 55s have a softer feel and slower steering than the 50s. But perfectly OK, especially if you are a gentler driver. The other potential question if you have four 55s on the wheels but standard size on the spare is what to do if you have a puncture. One should not have different circumferences on the same axle. I had just the standard space saver, which would have matched the 50 size i.e. smaller. It never became an issue, but I'd have used it only very gently and briefly to get to a tyre fitter. Maybe even that would have been undesirable.

On Pirellis, I have Sc Verde 275/45R21 on my 405 over the summer, they are OK, quiet and not too much rolling resistance, but do tramline rather, not becoming of a RR, I put up with it, but would consider alternatives when these come to be replaced. I didn't get that with Pirelli Sc Zero on my 322, but I think they are older technology and perhaps not green enough as regards noise and rolling resistance these days. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #516961 30th May 2019 3:38pm
Tugger

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

A 55-section spare fits in the boot of the L322. It’s a bit of a tight fit but it does go. If you’re buying 4 tyres of a new size, might as well make it 5 to save on any worries if spare needed

I’ve recently made the change from 255/50 to 255/55 (from Continental Cross Contact to Scorpion Verde M+S) and it’s a noticeable improvement in ride smoothness 09 RR Westminster 3.6TDV8 - Stornoway Grey / Black interior - now gone (sad face)
Nissan X Trail 1.6TDCi Tekna
Fiat 500 1.2

Post #516963 30th May 2019 3:52pm
j9ffy

Many thanks - interesting to read your comments about the 55 v 50s - my priority is comfort and quiet over handling so it sounds like 55 may even be preferable.

I called Pirelli today (too much time on my hands...) - they were quite helpful and told me that the Scorpion Zero All Season is a brand new addition to their line-up, and has their latest technologies etc etc... hence why I'm finding it hard to get any feedback, I suspect.... the nomenclature doesn't help as it's only the "all season" bit that distinguishes it from the older pirelli scorpion zeros m+s. They are a completely different tyre, however.

I also called LR (again, too much time on my hands...)
and asked if there was any issue fitting a 255/55 instead of 255/50 and the chap on the help desk said it was fine and that he had both Pirelli and Dunlop models as approved (ie sounds like the tyres are fine if LR homologated etc).

FWIW here are the side and tread images of the verde AS and zero AS from the Pirelli site:

S Verde AS

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

S Zero AS

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #516965 30th May 2019 3:56pm
j9ffy

Tugger wrote:
A 55-section spare fits in the boot of the L322. It’s a bit of a tight fit but it does go. If you’re buying 4 tyres of a new size, might as well make it 5 to save on any worries if spare needed

I’ve recently made the change from 255/50 to 255/55 (from Continental Cross Contact to Scorpion Verde M+S) and it’s a noticeable improvement in ride smoothness

Many thanks - seems like the 55s will suit me... I have the space saver, so hopefully that will help me limp out of trouble... Whistle

Post #516967 30th May 2019 3:58pm
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Agreed with all the above, 55's are more comfortable, and I had a sneaky suspicion that the Zero all season was new as I hadn't heard of them before reading this thread Smile Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #516972 30th May 2019 4:30pm
8810bigcat

United Kingdom 

Would the fact that the Scorpion Zero all Season being new mean that Verde AS might now be available at a better price?

I'm facing the same dilemma, need a full set soon, like the look of the Zero AS but they seem at least £200+ per corner, so if the Verde's were 30%+ cheaper, that would influence my decision.

I don't know much about tyre companies marketing strategy so would be interested if anyone has any ideas on this.

Post #517526 5th Jun 2019 4:48pm
j9ffy

Fitted. I had to go with 50s in the end (which is a shame as the 55s were cheaper and possibly have other advantages per discussion) ... reason is that the mot equivalent in France only recognises 255/50 for r20 for 2011 model year... ho hum...

Anyway, delighted with them... great ride/handling/quiet... only had them on a few days, so long term tbd. I like the look of them too fwiw - I'll post a better photo soonest... best, J.

Post #519060 20th Jun 2019 1:37am
8810bigcat

United Kingdom 

Hi j9ffy,

How are you getting on with the Scorpion Zero All Season? I need to get a new set boots in next couple of weeks and was interested to hear your thoughts?

Thanks in advance, BC.

Post #522183 19th Jul 2019 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>