Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > ECU Updates
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy B

England 
ECU Updates

My 2015 SDV8 is due a service soon as I have had it just over a 1 year, so I'm going to re-mortgage the house and book it in to the local Main Agent Big Cry I note from my IID tool that a few of the ECU's have updates available. Does anyone know how much JLR stealers charge for doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Andy Thumbs Up SDV8 AB MY 2019
SDV8 VSE MY 2015 - Gone
5.0 S/C AB MY 2010 - Gone
4.2 S/C VSE MY 2006 - Gone

Last edited by Andy B on 4th Jun 2019 8:29pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #517446 4th Jun 2019 7:56pm
Andy B

England 

Cheers John, I'll give them a call later this week to book it in and see what they say Thumbs Up SDV8 AB MY 2019
SDV8 VSE MY 2015 - Gone
5.0 S/C AB MY 2010 - Gone
4.2 S/C VSE MY 2006 - Gone

Post #517453 4th Jun 2019 8:27pm
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I've never understood where the IID tool gets its info from or perhaps more accurately makes a decision regarding ECU updates availability. Mine says there are lots of updates for the various ECU's yet each time I have challenged a main dealer - they say that there are none and my car has the latest all round. So either the dealer is B.S ing or the IID tool isn't correct and makes rather glib assumptions about which updates apply to which vehicles.

Post #517680 7th Jun 2019 11:19am
Fifth Horseman

Scotland 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

johnboy wrote:
I was under the impression that updates were done automatically whilst they relieve you of the £500 ish they’re extracting from you. But I could be wrong.
Optimist Whistle

In my experience, dealers can’t be bothered doing updates unless they necessary to address an issue with the vehicle. They also don’t seem able to be bothered to do so when as part of the “approved used” scheme they are supposed to ensure the latest software is loaded on all ECUs.
My ‘17 “approved used” purchased at the start of this year came with the 17A infotainment software and about half the ECUs with old software versions.
Additionally, after two failed attempts at enabling car play, the dealer then said that it wouldn’t work on the early versions of the new touch-pro system (read as couldn’t be bothered to try any more as they weren’t getting paid for it). Strangely I managed to successfully enable it first time using the official diagnostic tools at home! Suffice to say it is unlikely I’ll be giving that dealer much work in future.

Post #517705 7th Jun 2019 4:59pm
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

~So just to clarify, can the IID tool actually do the various ECU updates or is it just identify them as needed and you have to take your car to someone with a whizzy machine who pays lots of sheckels to LR in licensing fees to provide the software ??

Post #517904 9th Jun 2019 7:44pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

gap diagnostics charge £25 for each ecu that need updating Big Cry

Fast lane service (ECU Flash)
£25.00
Once purchased, please send us your complete ECU Info list, Menu–ECU Info, use the send e-mail button located at the bottom of the screen (GAPTeam ''AT'' GAP-Dia… .com, replace the dots with the remaining characters of the company name) and which ECU (1) requires updating. Please consult the Owners manual located here for more details.

The GAP Fast Lane Service gives access to one (1) ECU update not currently supported by the IIDTool. The fee covers administrative costs for manually selecting the correct update file for the current software level, hardware, mechanical components and geographic market is chosen. This service ensures that customers receive the most up to date ECU files for their vehicle configuration within hours of receiving the ECU information and vehicle identification number (excluding weekends and holidays).

The Range Rover 2002-2006 (except 2006 Petrol) ECUs cannot be updated. Please contact us to verify availability or feasibility prior to purchasing.

If the specific ECU firmware is already up to date, the fee will be refunded.

The prices base currency is GBP. Other currency prices are calculated automatically with the current exchange rate. Prices are subject to changes without notice. Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #517906 9th Jun 2019 7:48pm
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

My 2p. All the advice I've read is don't update an ECU unless you know it fixes a specific problem that you are experiencing. You're asking for trouble otherwise. 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #517916 9th Jun 2019 9:10pm
Fifth Horseman

Scotland 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

johnboy wrote:
It’s everybody round to your house then Bow down

TBH I'm still gaining confidence in the Pathfinder system. Simple tasks like activating trailer detection or enabling the smartphone pack are relatively trouble free and the Powertrain (engine, gearbox and transfer box) updates are straightforward enough but some can have heart stopping moments, for example to update the instrument pack takes upwards of 1.5 hours and the download progress bar disappears a couple of times during this Shocked which doesn't help the confidence levels.

One thing to note with the IIDTool is that functionality is limited with MY2017 onwards vehicles - CCF editing and ECU upgrades are currently not available and I've found some display functions do not function as expected. This is due to several changes that LandRover made in these models, the CCF format changed and it seems that a lot of communication with the vehicle, especially with ECU programming, requires the DoIP (Diagnostic over IP) interface. Unlike on earlier vehicles ALL ODB communications goes via the gateway module with some of it via automotive ethernet and some by CAN-bus protocols.
Note: if you connect an IIDTool to a 2017-on vehicle do not trust the "software update available" indications for the vehicle ECUs

GAP do seem to be working on improving the functionality with the MY'17-on models (I hope they succeed) but it may be that new hardware is required.

Post #517923 9th Jun 2019 10:19pm
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Whats the post option for gearbox, suspension, infotainment etc upgrades DIY? Dealer visits usually end in disappointment, am I understanding that this GAP company can do it?

Mine is a 65 plate 5.0 SC AB

Thanks

Carl

Post #518589 15th Jun 2019 5:21pm
JackRegan

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Waitomo Grey

MikeO wrote:
My 2p. All the advice I've read is don't update an ECU unless you know it fixes a specific problem that you are experiencing. You're asking for trouble otherwise.

I'm with you MikeO.

In December 2018 my car was serviced at the main dealer having covered 34k miles. It also received two software updates one of which was to correct the service indicator reporting service required too early. A problems I was not experiencing.

Fast forward 6 months and 6k miles, my car is now telling me it needs a service, 9k miles or 6 months too early. The dealer has told me there is a new software update available to address this and I'm booked in next week. I can't help but feel I'd have been better sticking with the original software!

Jack 2016MY TDV6 Autobiography
2011MY 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography Black - Gone
2005 TD6 Vogue - Gone

Post #518643 16th Jun 2019 7:08am
Mark1107

United States 2013 Range Rover HSE 5.0 V8 Fuji White

Hey Gentlemen, good morning/afternoon/evening,

Mark from the US. I have a 2013 US l405 HSE N.A. V8 Vogue. I have the gap IID tool. Besides resetting service reminders, fault codes, and adjusting height levels, does the gap diagnostic do anything useful? For instance the Autobiography and the supercharged have a different dashboard layout more options, are these hidden commands in the gap tool? Anyway to add them?

Thank you in advance.

Post #519553 24th Jun 2019 8:58pm
Japseroony

England 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

aljo wrote:
gap diagnostics charge £25 for each ecu that need updating Big Cry

Fast lane service (ECU Flash)
£25.00

Hi aljo

Do you work for GAP Question

Cheers. "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #519591 25th Jun 2019 10:41am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

that info is on he GAP site.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #519598 25th Jun 2019 11:29am
aljo

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

As stan states all the information is on the website and i certainly dont work for gap Thumbs Up Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #519638 25th Jun 2019 7:44pm
Japseroony

England 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

Sorry my bad, just the way I read “send us your info” in your post, thought that was the royal us and you being part of it Thumbs Up "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #519639 25th Jun 2019 7:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>