Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Stiff suspension or just me?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pherplexed

United States 
Stiff suspension or just me?

Proud owner of a new-to-me 2016 RRSC and I'm all grins!! Very Happy I upgraded from a '13 Disco 4 HSE Lux (which was brilliant in just about every way), but just couldn't resist the urge to get into a Range Rover.

Anyway, one (of a few) questions I have is about the suspension:

What are other's opinion on the ride stiffness compared to the Disco 4? At highway speeds, there's no comparison...the RRSC is a dream compared to the Disco. But I feel like at lower speeds, the ride feels a bit stiff compared to what i was used to in the LR4...most noticeable going over large speed humps, for example. The Disco seemed to float over them, but the RR takes them much harder. This is the only L405 I've ever driven, so don't have anything to compare with.

If it shouldn't feel stiff like that, could it be related to the noise i'm hearing up front when taking turns? I did some digging and found this TSB about the noisy front suspension and it describes what I'm hearing / feeling to the letter. Will have the dealer check this out next week. Just wondering if the stiff suspension above is something I should also bring up.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by pherplexed on 13th Aug 2019 7:46pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #517509 5th Jun 2019 2:00pm
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

What sized wheels are you running on? 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #517592 6th Jun 2019 10:59am
pherplexed

United States 

Running on the stock 21" rims. Thanks to the forum, found a tip about checking tire pressures to see if they were overinflated. Checked a few days ago and sure enough, needed to let out about 10PSI on each. Helped some, but nothing major.

Post #517620 6th Jun 2019 4:19pm
RRSuperc

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Luxor

Yes the ride is not as soft over bumps etc around town compared my last gen RR, however, I do have 22inch wheels which doesn't help

Post #517679 7th Jun 2019 10:18am
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I agree, highway cruising is good, but local driving with potholes, speed bumps etc. is not so good and no better than your average car. I'm on 22's, but that's a manufacturer accepted wheel size so ought to be ok. What I find a strange is sometimes I think yes, this is a good ride, but other times on the same stretch of road it seems crap. Mine's an SDV8 but I assume the setup is roughly the same. Like yourself I'm a bit perplexed

Post #517746 7th Jun 2019 9:39pm
pherplexed

United States 

Roberlar - that’s been my exact experience. Some days on the same stretch of road I think the ride is perfect, then other times it seems rough.

Bottom line, it’s not like anybody would ride in the car and think ‘geez, what a crappy ride’...I just happen to be very in tune with how a car feels and figured the ride would be noticeably smoother than my LR4. Glad to know that’s just the way it rides and likely nothing wrong. Thanks all for the feedback!

Post #517813 8th Jun 2019 5:22pm
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

How “black” is the fluid for the dynamic response? Pull the cap on the reservoir, its a green colour when new, mine looked like old engine oil at 50k miles, slowly draining it off and replacing with fresh until service time.

Just a thought.

Post #517849 8th Jun 2019 9:56pm
pherplexed

United States 

Just got around to checking into things a little deeper. The fluid color doesn’t look black at all...must be fresh from when it was certified prior to pickup.

About the only thing I can notice after looking all over is that the forward control arm moves a little if I wiggle it with my hand...is that normal?

Post #520066 29th Jun 2019 8:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1