Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > 21” tyre recommendations - part 2!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
21” tyre recommendations - part 2!

I’m also running Pirelli Verdes on my L405. These see to have been standard fitment for the model year for my Autobiography.

I’m about to change wheels. Keeping exactly the same size, but changing to the current version of the AB rims.

Whilst at a dealer recently, I noticed that the cars which have these rims from new are all fitted with Continental Crosscontact LX Sport.

Interested for any recommendations on which to fit to the new rims; keep Pirelli as on my current wheels or change over to Continental?

Thanks! 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #520599 4th Jul 2019 7:52am
charlie croker mk2

England 

I am on my 2nd set of Pirelli's and they have been great , The continentals do appear to have a more modern tread pattern with winter "snipes" on the inner part of the tread and a road bias tread on the outer part of the tread . Pirelli are circa £70 per tyre cheaper however . On the supply contract to the factory it will come down to price and ease of supply .

Post #520615 4th Jul 2019 10:02am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

No experience of the Continentals. The downside of the Pirellis (which are my summer tyres) for me is the tendency to tramline. Apart from that they seem fine, quiet, handling OK, fuel consumption OK. My 322 WM had Continental Cross Contact (not the LX Sport) as the summer tyres and they did not tramline, handling and fuel consumption were again OK, the handling maybe even slightly better. The downside with them was that the front tyres wore the edges off pretty quickly. Perhaps a softer compound gives better handling but poorer wear.

Being dissatisfied with the tramlining (which is unbecoming of a RR) I would look at the Continentals as summer tyres when the Pirellis wear out, but subject to discussion with the tyre suppliers, if the modern tread pattern with unbroken grooves means all tyres will be prone to tramlining then it would not be worth the extra cost. And I'd avoid the 'silent' versions with foam inside, given the thread(s) on here talking about it coming loose and unbalancing the tyre. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #520622 4th Jul 2019 11:08am
charlie croker mk2

England 

On tramlining , yes they do as they wear down and it looks like they have been become dome shaped as the outer and inner edges have worn more than the center section . But I think that would apply to all tyres LOL .

Post #520624 4th Jul 2019 11:30am
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Thanks both for your input - really helpful. I decided to stick with the Pirellis.

Really pleased with the look of the new wheels...

2016 SDV8 AB

Post #520965 7th Jul 2019 3:36pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I like the new wheels Thumbs Up

Post #520982 7th Jul 2019 6:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1