Home > Technical (L322) > Help me.... 2008 tdv8 weirdness with the lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RobWheatley

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Help me.... 2008 tdv8 weirdness with the lights

Hi all
So first long trip in the FF yesterday, 450 miles through France to my dads, motoring over night as per normal.
Half way through the journey the all lights (including the whole dash lights) went off for a split second when going onto high beam (it was accompanied but a rapid clicking of what sounded like relays), it did it a few times so I turned the lights onto manual (they were on auto) all seemed ok, 30 or so mins later went to high beam again and all the dash lights went out (apart from the info screen at the bottom and the touchscreen) speedo etc was working, went to pull off into a service area and no indicators or hazards, reverse lights or front and rear fogs either. Everything else was working perfectly including the bend lights and adaptive lights (the bendy headlights)
When I turned the main light switch off the lights stayed on until I turned the ignition off BUT the lights on indicator stayed alight! ignition on lights came straight on but still no indicators dash lights etc.

Decided to carry on and got to my Dads at 04:15, turned off the car, lights went off with the ignition again, green tell tale still on.
This morning the tell tale was off but the switch still did nothing, lights came on as soon as the ignition was turned on this time with no tell tale, no indicators, hazards, fogs, reverse.

Ok reset time, followed the battery reset (including shorting the terminals when off the battery) and what do you know, all working again!!!

No what the hell caused that, any idea's, I did put HID's in the main beam a few days ago (going to take them out tomorrow) but they were working ok, no can or bulb errors.

As bit of good news, she averaged 28.2mpg on the way, very pleased with that considering most of it was at 80mph.
Now I have to wash the millions of dead flies off. 2010 L322 3.6 TDV8 Vogue Stornaway Grey

Post #521597 12th Jul 2019 6:22pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Are the battery terminals loose?

Post #521598 12th Jul 2019 6:28pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

seems the recently fitted hid's are the cause.....remove them [as you are going to do] and see what happens.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #521599 12th Jul 2019 6:43pm
RobWheatley

Battery terminals are tight, nothing else went off at the time cd was on and didn't even stutter.
Think you might be right Stan, thinking they are overloading the lighting when they start up and just caused the light controls to crash, will stick the bulbs back in and see what it does on the way home monday. 2010 L322 3.6 TDV8 Vogue Stornaway Grey

Post #521606 12th Jul 2019 7:48pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I fitted a cheap Hid kit in my last P38a, a 2002 car. Although just a millisecond event the whole dash and all lights died whenever they were turned on so I removed them pretty quickly. I fitted LED bulbs after with no ill effects. I have Led bulbs in my L322. 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #521627 13th Jul 2019 12:51am
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

+ 1 for LED's. Instant bright light instead of taking or so seconds to warm up. Dont buy cheap though.
Had mine in for around 2 years now and the're great. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #521643 13th Jul 2019 10:42am
RobWheatley

I did put led's in but swapped them for the hid's, going to change them later today.
Tried the lights today and they were all flashing without going to main beam including the reverse and rear lights, they are still standard bulbs apart from led number plate bulbs.
I have put 3 way led reflector lights in the bumper but they are fed via relays from the rear light wires (relays have a 12v permanent live and just the coils are connected to the light feed), going to disconnect them too.
Need to get an IID tool to turn of bulb checking I thing asap. 2010 L322 3.6 TDV8 Vogue Stornaway Grey

Post #521646 13th Jul 2019 11:26am
RobWheatley

Just a little update, removed the Hid's and the LED side light & bend light bulbs after re setting the systems.
Drove home again overnight yesterday including a big detour where they had closed the A13 tool between Caan and Rouen, did 550 miles with a mixture of towns, twisty lanes and motorway and the FF was faultless, returning 27.9mpg on the way back but that did include a long wait at Calais passport control, used HI/LO no problems and no flickering.
Have to say the lights are really good and didn't really need to use high beam at all.
I have noticed that the offside headlight beam does "bounce" up and down a little bit, I can see it in the road signs, will have a look inside the light to see if anything is a bit loose.
I'm convinced it was the HID's so will try the LED's back in later in the week and see how it goes, not for the light output but just so they are all the same colour!!

On a side note does anyone know what type the side light bulb holders are? I noticed there are holes in the amber and red side reflectors for holders so i'm thinking US style marker lamps...... 2010 L322 3.6 TDV8 Vogue Stornaway Grey

Post #521961 16th Jul 2019 7:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1