Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Satnav red cross
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

it has been sorted by replacing the antenna, have you not read the thread.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #188409 15th May 2013 9:59am
mackempete

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

once i get 5 mins i'll post up some pics to help.

Post #188652 16th May 2013 11:14am
mackempete

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

Ok as promised here is a step by step guide to replacing the satnav antenna on post 2005 touchscreen systems with the roof fin. Credit to super8, i've just augmented his original instructions with pictures.

If you have a red cross through the GPS icon on your nav screen and when you go into diagnostics (753 code), your "GPS information screen has nothing in the "ST" columns (image below), then this guide is worth a punt for the £8 the antenna costs on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-antenna-FAKR...0288283481

Step1: remove bolts holding in satnav DVD player in rear left boot compartment. 4 x 7mm bolts:

Step2: slide out DVD drive and remove old GPS antenna lead. Thin blue one shown below:

Step3: temporarily connect new antenna to check that this fixes the problem. No point dismantling any further if this isn’t your issue. The one I got from ebay had a magnet on so I stuck it on the roof and tested the satnav.

If it has worked you diagnostics should start receiving data from the satellites (P’s and T’s in the ST column in GPS Information) and no red cross through gps:

If the above has worked its time to fit the new antenna permanently:

Step4: remove the rear pillar trims to enable you to pull down headlining. I started at the outer top, outer bottom, then inner top and inner bottom. There’s only 4 clips one in each corner and it only takes a good tug  Once the clips are off disconnect the speaker plug.

Both pillars should now have no trim on:

Step5: Pull down the centre of the roof lining until the clip (shown below) pops off.

Step6: remove the two clippy things (dunno what these are for TBH), there is one on each side and they are only held on with 1 screw each. Once these are off you can pull the headlining down enough to get at the underside of the roof fin.

Step7: Disconnect the blue and red connectors, get your 10mm socket and undo the 2 nuts holding the footplate on the underside of the roof antenna then remove the footplate:

Step8: Now the only thing holding the roof fin on is the 2 plastic clips on the side of the black plastic centre shown in this pic. Squeeze them together and push the fin through the roof.:

Fin off the car:

Step9: dismantle the shark fin. Take your T8 star bit:

And remove the 10 screws holding the black plastic cover onto the shark fin:

Step10: take your new Antenna and cut off the plug. You need to cut the plug off to feed the wire through the base of the shark fin. I chose to make this cut about 6 inches from the end of the plug so that when I re-joined it the union would be in the boot compartment rather than in the headlining. Better for troubleshooting 

Step 11: feed the cut antenna lead through the base plate of the shark fin:

Step 12: Glue the antenna to the base plate. More to stop it rattling around in the shark fin than anything else. In hind sight a blob of hot glue would have been ideal, I managed with a few drops of super glue.:

Step 13: Clean the roof to ensure that the Shark Fin gets a good water proof seal:

Step 14: feed wires back through the roof hole and reposition the antenna:

Step 15: back inside the car, feed the wires through the footplate and bolt it back into position.:

Step 16: I re-connected both the old blue and red connectors, even though I’m certain that the blue one is satnav and the red is TMC. Therefore the blue one shouldn’t be needed as we have just replaced it with the ebay special, though it isn’t going to do any harm to have them both connected as they were:

Step17: run the new antenna wire towards the left speaker pillar. Plenty of wires to cable tie it to. Then feed it into the side compartment where the satnav DVD unit is:

Step18: your now ready to replace your headlining. First thing to sort is the centre clip in the headlining. Chances are when you pulled it down it will have left the white plastic clip in the roof:

To remove it from the roof, squeeze both sides of the brass clip with some needle nose pliers and wiggle it out of the roof:

Reattach it to the black bit built into the roof lining, then push the centre of the lining back into the roof until it clicks:

Step19: replace the speaker pillar covers, reconnecting the speaker cables. A bit of lining up and a decent bang with the heal of your hand worked for me. Needs a bang in each of the 4 corners to locate each clip.:

Step20: replace clippy things in roof ( what are these BTW?):

Step 21: Re attach plug to end of new antenna lead. At this point all electricians should look away… Wouldn’t believe that I studied microelectronics for 2 years. As the lead is basically a coaxial cable I imagine that you could get coax connectors to do this properly. Heres what I did:
Twisted and crimped centre core:

Bent back the cable and wrapped the shielding wire, then wrapped the lot in ducktape. Electrical tape would have been marginally better but I didn’t have any to hand and it was raining:

Step 22: Connect the freshly bodged connector into the back of the satnav DVD and replace the 4 7mm bolts that hold it in place:

Finished: working satnav:

Last edited by mackempete on 16th May 2013 3:19pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #188691 16th May 2013 2:16pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

excellent, wiki'fied.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #188693 16th May 2013 2:26pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The "Clippy things" are for attaching the dog/cargo net if you have one. Wink

PS. I realise it's a year old thread. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #277394 25th Aug 2014 11:44am
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks, great writeup! I just replaced the gps antenna according to this How-To, and now the GPS works perfectly - no more red cross over the GPS in the map.

Post #391144 10th Jun 2016 9:21pm
specman

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aruba

Thanks Gents!
I have followed this and fixed my sat nav.
I couldn't do the 753 code but just tanked on with the new Gps sensor.
Once connected nothing happened for several minutes, then the gps box with red line on the screen disappeared and normal service resumed.

Post #396191 15th Jul 2016 11:15am
Ianthe

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Thank You

Thanks for the brilliant guide Macempete and Super8 - I've just installed the replacement antenna, GPS working beautifully again now. Looks like there was water ingress into the fin as there was a crack along the top probably caused by a tree branch incident we had during the Easter storms. Whilst I was waiting for the penetrating oil to work (all 10 screws on the fin were well rusted) I went out and bought a new T8 bit and baked two cakes so feeling v. efficient. Thank again Thumbs Up

Post #399023 3rd Aug 2016 5:14pm
BigJon

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Chawton White

I just used this guide to replace the GPS antenna on my 07 Vogue.
I did the cut and shut of the wiring right up near the plug at the antenna, rather than down by the SatNav unit. The rest was all the same. Total repair cost of about $6 AUD, rather than $300 plus for a new genuine antenna.

Post #408395 9th Oct 2016 2:35am
knares

Australia 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

excellent RR 2005 4.4 petrol
Any spelling mistakes are the fault of spellchecker
Previous MG J2, CITROEN light 15 x 2 gone unfortunately
Present MERC 180e, RANGE ROVER L322, JAGUAR XJS, MERC 280SE, MG F, JAGUAR S-Type 6v 2003, jaguar s-type 8v 2004, Ford Cougar

Post #522879 26th Jul 2019 3:21pm
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I need to do this but does anyone know if there is another easier way?

Hear me out, my old 2002 with the bmw nav does not have a fin on the roof so assuming the antenna is internal? Can a replacement not be mounted where it is on the Bmw era one saving a lot of messing around?

If not I will follow the guide - looks great anyway Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #533012 3rd Nov 2019 9:11am
kds2

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Yours will be under the spoiler part of the top tail gate, no need to drop the head liner.

Post #533071 3rd Nov 2019 7:38pm
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Sorry for the confusion I’m referring to my 2007 and was reference my old 2002 was there - can I mount one from
An 02 there and use that?

I have already bought said antenna it worked for about 2 months but now getting all the satellites and the keep changing bit no strength Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #533083 3rd Nov 2019 9:52pm
kds2

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Its a bit of a pain in the arris but I dropped the lining at the rear to fit a shark fin for my dab adaptor, those d panels are a right pain to get back and the only other thing I used a long flat blade screw driver to prise the centre clip down.

Post #533184 4th Nov 2019 8:57pm
Pat

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Hi Re GPS Antenna Fix I have tried the cheap ebay fix but it didnt work Is there anything else that could be wrong. I have same symptoms ie screen works I can put in destinations but GPS has red line through and no sat signal

Post #546677 10th Mar 2020 11:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>