Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Flue filters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey
Flue filters

Hi all, i have a investment in a Pizza resturant and we are having trouble with the smoke from the wood burning oven. It uses a 200mm flue with an extracter fan on the top. Resturant is situated in Cork City and is adjacent to a couple of 6 story buildings. One particular occupant of one of these buildings is not happy with the smoke emitting from the extractor fan. Anyone on here any suggestions on a filtration system that would help. Otherwise I'm looking at having to change the oven to gas which is not what is wanted. Any suggestions gladly received.

Thanks, John 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #524050 7th Aug 2019 11:00pm
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

ISTR reading that the German authorities are introducing tougher emission controls for wood burning stoves, so a search around that may bring up some information. It may be more relevant to a domestic style stove.

Alternatively, there are available commerical systems using wet or dry particulate filtration, electostatic and catalytic filtration. None of these are cheap, and I am not sure that they would scale down to a relatively small throughput. It may be worth a try searching

"flue gas filtration"

and contacting either a manufacturer or design company for further information. I doubt a "local" flue installer would have access to the knowledge or design implications for your problem.

Hope this helps in starting the process. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #524091 8th Aug 2019 10:05am
dolph34

Thanks Richard , I'm speaking with an electrostatic manufacturer at the moment and hoping to get a result with them. It's not cheap but i really want to keep the wood burning oven. Thanks again 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #524096 8th Aug 2019 10:41am
dolph34

Double post 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #524098 8th Aug 2019 10:58am
rjff

You're welcome D.

One thing about electrostatic units: I understand they work best when the flue is up to full operating temperature and not so well during start up, so that's a question to ask and have warranted by your manufacturer. (I am led to believe that the unit does not become operational until a suitable flue temperature is achieved). In addition, they don't really like "wet" flue gas, so the wood will need to be well seasoned.

I know this sounds a little negative, but all the best and let us know how you get on. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
Gap IIDBT

Post #524139 8th Aug 2019 3:28pm
dolph34

Hi Richard , your understanding of the electostatic units is spot on and negates their use in my case. I have spoken with a few manufacturers and the quickest and most cost effective solution is to convert to gas. It's a bitter pill but one that may have to be swallowed. I do have a final chance before taking that measure as i have sourced a local expert who has resolved some similar issues with a couple of resturants nearby.

The timber we burn is top quailty and supplied by one of my customers in my full time job , conicedilty he is a fellow FFRR man with 2 no L405s ( and a Discovery). He got himself a him and hers new twin L405 a few months back and his manager a new discovery. Maybe i should look at selling kiln dried timber , seems to pay ok Thumbs Up

Again , thanks for you advice.

John 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #524143 8th Aug 2019 3:43pm
rjff

John,

Thank you and definitely +1 on selling kiln dried wood.

Good luck, but it's a shame to have to convert from wood fired. Cheers
Richard

Gap IIDBT

Post #524182 8th Aug 2019 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1