Home > General (L405) > L405 prices ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bg259

United Kingdom 
L405 prices ?

Hello all. Still a newbie here.

What do you all think of the prices of the 2016+ L405 FFRR’s?

Have they stabilised? Or are they going to drop some more ?

About to buy a Vogue and do not want a shed load of depreciation.

My understanding is that they have lost a lot of money in recent months.
(I started looking about 2 months ago).

Post #526701 1st Sep 2019 3:48am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

They are pretty low at the moment I think (c. £35k for a 2016 3.0L). Ones with higher mileage are lower still at low £30s.

I think they will come down a few more thou still and good deals should be got as the diesel issue continues.

Make sure you go for a AB or VOGUE SE as they seem to be the one that people want more than a “standard” vogue.

Post #526702 1st Sep 2019 4:22am
Bg259

United Kingdom 

I would like an AB with rear entertainment with a dark exterior, deployable steps and ivory interior with circa 40-50k mikes.
They seem to be going for anywhere between late 30s to mid 40s. Just can’t find the combination I want. Have found a decent Vogue SE but they do not have 360camera( which I am used to) and massage seats (which I am used to). I also really like the leather headliner and proper rear climate in the roof.

Sometimes I start looking at early 18plate cars as they are mid 60s now.

If anyone has an AB with this spec for sale. Please PM me!!

Post #526709 1st Sep 2019 6:56am
ilard

United Kingdom 

I can’t see how prices will stabilise until these become classics in two decades time. So, yes, they are going to drop some more unfortunately!

Post #526711 1st Sep 2019 7:04am
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Unfortunately depreciation is inevitable and the newer & more expensive the car the bigger the hit. If depreciation is a big issue for you then you can either stick your head in the sand or apply selective man maths to convince yourself that it isn't happening to you (but it will be!)
I got badly stung about 20 years ago when the government decided to interfere with new car prices to give us consumers a better deal. I've never bought a "new" car since, I believe that the only way to lessen the impact is to buy older cars and keep them longer.

Post #526762 1st Sep 2019 5:32pm
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Cass, I recently went through a complete rethink and changed my mindset when it comes to buying new cars. I was changing my car every 2 years, even though I was only driving around 6000 to 7000 miles per year. So earlier this year, after 4 brand new Range Rover Sport’s, I bought a 2005 Range Rover Vogue.

So 5 months down the line what do I miss about not owning a new car?

1. The new car smell and knowing that you are the first owner.
2. The new car warranty.
3. The power and ability of a modern day vehicle.
4. The half day Land Rover Experience voucher.

What don’t I miss?

1. Parking it in town and worrying about some jealous b#@&£d running his key down the side.
2. Every Audi driver trying to race me.
3. Worrying about parking it at the station and it not being there when I return a few hours later.
4. My wife worrying about folk breaking into the house to get the keys to steal it.
5. Finding a leaflet from the anti 4X4 lobby under the windscreen wiper.
6. The £1000+ per month depreciation for the first few years.
7. My neighbours thinking that I am a drug dealer, gangster or dodgy arms dealer - my cars were black Range Rover Sport’s 😂

If you can change your mindset to breakaway from the consumerist “I must have the latest new car!” Then it is quite a rewarding experience.

We recently went on holiday to North Norfolk, which was our first long trip in “Sylvia” my 2005 L322. When we arrived Mrs Jim actually commented that she had enjoyed being able to see over hedgerows, enjoyed the softer suspension and the larger and airier cabin of the L322 compared to the L494’s we had owned.

I paid £6100 for Sylvia and I am thinking that if I change her after 2 years or so she will still be worth around £4900. My man maths also tells me that by the end of September Sylvia is a free car, as if I had kept my RRS I would have lost over £6000 in depreciation since April.

I am tempted to go for a 2012 Westie, SE or AB but, for now, I am quite happy.

Jim

Post #526795 2nd Sep 2019 3:39am
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I bought a 65 plate 5.0 S/C AB in March this year and if I part exchange today I will have lost £20k in depreciation, more in some instances Censored

Post #526821 2nd Sep 2019 11:31am
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White

depreciation is scary!

realistically, it's the difference in retail cost of your current vehicle compared to similar spec vehicles which are 1 year older PLUS the difference between the trade value and retail value of the 1 year older car.

in full-fat terms for a car which is currently retailing at £40k thats works out about £9-12k over the next year.

Post #526828 2nd Sep 2019 2:24pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I have been watching the L405 prices coming down with interest, our spec would be a 2015 4.4 VSE with <50k which recently seems to be around 32-34k which is a huge drop from 6 month ago.

Like Jim4244 I’m tempted to run what we have a 07 TDV8 VSE with 95k on the clock we have had it over 4 years and it’s been a joy! Originally wanted a 2011/12 L322 but finding a good example has proven very difficult!

Post #526830 2nd Sep 2019 2:35pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

The more time passes, the older they get and the prices reduces... bit like night following day.

Whatever you look to buy today will be worth a little cheaper tomorrow ,

Jump in and watch those notes drift away.

All I would say is a new car is getting more and more and more expensive.... so, in theory a second hand one should hold its price better than they do... confuses me,. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #527240 6th Sep 2019 1:46pm
archermav

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I bought my 16 AB a few months ago, changing from my 08 plate TDV8 ( which was brilliant). Cost me a fair chunk to change Big Cry

However, I was fortunate to have retired and always promised myself a new to me car, to show for the 30 years of crap I'd put up with.

My 405 had lost a rather impressive sum from it's new price, and no doubt is still doing so. I could have more money in the bank, but I'd rather have the car.

Post #527259 6th Sep 2019 5:47pm
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I bought my previous full fat brand new back in 2004. I believe I paid around 60k for the car. I sold it last year for 12k which given it's age wasn't bad, but this was primarily due to one owner and it only 41k on the clock. Average cars were around half that price or less. At the time I wanted to replace it with an L405 AB which would retail at around 100k + new which I couldn't get my head around. Therefore I decided to buy used this time and given the difference I paid of around 58 k less than the new cost that's loads more than even the most disastrous used motor would need spending on it. Personal reg and a few 'updates' and unless you were a total anorak you wouldn't distinguish it from a brand new car. It's when the significantly changed next generation comes along in a couple of years that prices will take a hit, so the newer the L405 you buy the bigger the financial hit. Just my opinion Smile

Post #527261 6th Sep 2019 6:20pm
Scotland

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aintree Green

It's an interesting one the pricing. I've quite frugal so I don't buy new cars. Saying that my wife does insist on having reasonable new (i.e. 2-3 years old at the start of our ownership) and not 20+ like mine!

So when I bought her S/C in 2015 it was about 16 months old and had been incredibly highly specced, I think list was about £118k and clearly that's when it took it's big hit. I think it lost about £45k in those 16 months and covered 13k miles.

I'm just trying to sell it now about £39k with 63k miles on the clock. We've had the car 3.5 years so it will have cost us about 10k a year which I don't think is the end of the world for the type of car it is.

Saying all this the local LR dealer keeps on trying to persuade me to buy a new one as as I point out to him a new one is about 20k a year in depreciation and okay I don't have to worry about tyres/maintenance if I change it every 3 years etc., but however you cut it they cost around 20k a year I think. i don't want to or need to pay that as we don't get anymore satisfaction out of the car being new.

However I have recently change my wife car for another S/C, this one has 9,000 miles on the clock and is 21 months old and has lost over £90k in that time. It cost me more and I think it will hold it's value better but it will still cost us more per year in depreciationI think so I recon it could be £11/12k a year if we keep it 3-4 years, if we keep it for longer that number obviously comes down as the depreciation slows in absolute terms. However the car is quite special so it came down to whether the extra 1-2k was worth it.

However all this said it shows different people have completely different view of what is an acceptable cost of ownership, everyone has different amount of money or priorities but my frugality would make it near impossibly for me to buy a new car I think. 1994 Range Rover LSE Autobiography
1994 Range Rover Vogue LSE Softdash
1994 Range Rover Vogue LSE (transmission failed so now a donor car!)
1994 Range Rover Vogue LSE (knackered donor car!)
1993 Range Rover Vogue LSE
1969 Aston Martin DB6 Vantage
1953 Lagonda DB3.0 Drophead Brooklands
1939 Lagonda LG6

Post #527610 10th Sep 2019 7:46pm
Ukandrewf

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

nothing wrong with being frugal in my book - it's hard to earn and easy to spend...

MY17 AB was £110k new and half that two years later with 20k mileage. I will try to keep it for seven years or longer if i can.

In my experience they half in 2 years and half again in next 4 years and then another 1/4 in next four years.

MY60 RR Vogue was £90k new, i bought it for £43k with 16k milage two years old and sold it to a forum member for a competitive £12k given it's spec. So that 72% lost over 7 years or £31k which is £4k/year.

Let's hope i can be disciplined with the latest MY17 AB and hold it for a while... --
On my third Full Fat RR
there's nothing like it.

Post #527615 10th Sep 2019 8:00pm
brad s1

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

roberlar wrote:
I bought my previous full fat brand new back in 2004. I believe I paid around 60k for the car. I sold it last year for 12k which given it's age wasn't bad, but this was primarily due to one owner and it only 41k on the clock. Average cars were around half that price or less. At the time I wanted to replace it with an L405 AB which would retail at around 100k + new which I couldn't get my head around. Therefore I decided to buy used this time and given the difference I paid of around 58 k less than the new cost that's loads more than even the most disastrous used motor would need spending on it. Personal reg and a few 'updates' and unless you were a total anorak you wouldn't distinguish it from a brand new car. It's when the significantly changed next generation comes along in a couple of years that prices will take a hit, so the newer the L405 you buy the bigger the financial hit. Just my opinion Smile

You sold a 2004 last year for 12k... That poor man. Now I feel bad for myself. I just sold a 2009 supercharged for 5k

Post #528286 16th Sep 2019 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1