Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Engine TDV6 3.0 2016 L405 Range Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pod76

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black
Engine TDV6 3.0 2016 L405 Range Rover

Took my RR in to the main dealer for a major service as the car is coming up to 4 years old in September.. they called me and said they haven’t done the service as when they took the oil filter out they found metal shards.. and the engine was knocking in the workshop .. I hadn’t noticed any noises on the drive down there... they are now saying I need a new engine.. and of course it’s out of warranty.. anyone else had anything like this.. I’m still in shock....

Post #526680 31st Aug 2019 7:14pm
charlie croker mk2

England 

How convenient ! it just happened to go wrong in a dealers workshop !!! almost like someone started the engine without any oil after lunch / toilet break . You need a very tenacious solicitor

Post #526697 31st Aug 2019 11:07pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Agree. Get timings from dealer: time they drive it into workshop and the time they claimed they drained the oil, the time they removed the filter.

I’d get LR involved ASAP too since this car is not yet 4 years old. What mileage? Have you owned from new?

Capture any records you can of the car being run on the day in question.

Post #526712 1st Sep 2019 8:12am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Grim, sorry about that.

On a recent visit to the dealer there was a Disco 4 with the body off awaiting a new 3.0 engine. Apparently replacement was almost a routine operation, with LR supplying the new engines (presumably under a deal with Ford), not only following actual failure, but also if the telltale early signs were present. I didn't get the impression that this was just for cars with warranties.

If you have full LR dealer service history and have not ignored warnings of the need to change oil/get service due to diesel going into the engine oil, then the first step is probably to ask the dealer (or if they are reluctant, slow etc then do it yourself) to contact LR Customer Relations and see whether they will provide a new engine and pay or contribute to the cost of the replacement, or some other goodwill contribution. The dealer has an incentive to help you as if LR pay then there is no need to examine whether they have done anything wrong. In some cases LR will send people from the factory to look at the problem, which might be helpful if it isn't a "normal" failure.

Litigation is an expensive, stressful and uncertain hassle, and solicitor involvement can put people's backs up and induce defensive attitudes, so go with the easier approaches first and keep those remedies in reserve.

LRCR is 0370 5000 500, or you can try going through the dedicated segment of this forum, I have tended to do the former. They can be a bit slow and the initial contact tends to be with telephonist level people rather than technicians, but persevere.

Good luck. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #526822 2nd Sep 2019 12:34pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Re: Engine TDV6 3.0 2016 L405 Range Rover

Pod76 wrote:
when they took the oil filter out they found metal shards.. and the engine was knocking in the workshop

Sounds the wrong way around.....

Presumably they heard it knocking first, but still decided to drain the oil & remove the filter - which still seems a little odd.

I can only assume that after hearing the knocking they at least checked the oil level & confirmed it was correct before draining it ?

Post #526824 2nd Sep 2019 1:22pm
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

How many mile on the clock?

Jim

Post #526825 2nd Sep 2019 1:50pm
Felstmiester

England 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

First of all i think you would notice a change in engine tone even if your not mechanically minded. If you drive the car daily even the slightest tap or knock would get your attention.
As said above. It could’ve been a dealer cock up. And again as said. If the engine was knocking why not get in touch with you before any work was done and clear this with you first. Why drain the oil and then decide to inform you that they found shards of metal in the filter and engine was knocking. Sounds wrong to me. This scares me about these main dealers.

If you was a small independent establishment and you took a car in like the l405 for a service and you thought the engine was knocking would you carry on draining oil and removing oil filter to then tell the customer there engine was knackered and needed replacing. No you would inform the customer as soon as you knew to cover your arse.

Post #526863 2nd Sep 2019 7:06pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Crumbs, I wouldn’t like to take the risk of being the servicing dealer for you lot!

Call in at https://www.disco4.com/forum/search.php?se...rch_time=0 then search “crankshaft” and follow the threads about V6 crankshaft failure 🙁

Post #526871 2nd Sep 2019 7:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1