Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Running a v.high mileage 4.2 L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ras Thurlo

Italy 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue
Running a v.high mileage 4.2 L322

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but could not find anything on google search:

How much mileage can a 4.2 realistically do in its life?

I have been thinking of getting a high mileage L322 4.2 SS as I have found a cheap one that I would keep for a bit until i find/commit to a 5.0 in my ideal colour combo.

Am I crazy for even considering a car with more than 225k/miles, 350k/km?

I have always heard that the 4.2 is a v.reliable engine and am assuming (for now) that I have found a car with mostly m-way miles as the condition is not that of a kiddie&dog beater.

I realise it really depends on the vehicle and its history - but are there others out there that have kept their 4.2 SC running into such high miles?

At which point are you going to have to do an engine change? What other obvious things are likely to be going wrong due to life-cycle expiry?

thx

Post #526008 24th Aug 2019 2:12pm
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I've had several high mileage cars in my time [mostly diesel I have to say] but, providing she's been looked after, regular oil changes, I don't see why they wouldn't hit 300k without any problem. Under stressed engine, low revving, if she's 'cheap as chips' go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

Post #526013 24th Aug 2019 4:24pm
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

As per Fox889 - I think the main criteria is regular oil changes. Also see https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic47597-225.html which gives a real world list of high mileages.

Cheers,
Stu.

Post #526024 24th Aug 2019 9:16pm
uzp315

Not sure about the way to do this with a 4.4, but certainly on my 3.6 one of the first things I did was to give to a local indy and had all the oils changed, and gearbox oil filter. As well as the obvious a major service, and a good check over.

Not 100% on this, but I think the gearbox oil is stated as "being for life". Well, common wisdom says that at 75k miles, get the gearbox oil and filter done. When quizzed about this with another manufacturer said that they consider the "gearbox life" to be about 100k. So "being for life" for that other manufacturer is not meant to be forever.

Most of the above I learned on another forum. So sorry if this is really obvious. Dont mean to insult anyone's intelligence.

Post #526070 25th Aug 2019 2:10pm
cliff5.0sc

You'll have to do some engine work but if I were to consider one of the models to run into high milage it would be the 4.2SC. There may be a hose to be changed, I haven't run into it but some of the Jaguar enthusiasts mentioned it, but not a huge deal but you have to take off the SC. I would also change the SC oil too and check the nose.

I took one to 140k miles and ran into some issues with the top of the engine and needed a new alternator, new air springs, one of the rear windows would not go back up. Which was actually a bigger issue to repair than imagined, it was hard to get that part in the US. But overall much stronger than my 4.6 and 5.0 which had bigger issues at approximately 80k miles.

Realistically, even with doing all your own work I think you'd be wise to save about 5k USD. I would consider the 4.2 over the 5.0 though from my own experience. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #526191 26th Aug 2019 10:06pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I have one on over 180k runs like a dream have replaced bits over the time I have had it - bushes bearing brakes etc all the bits that wear out - change gearbox oil every 30k and engine every 10k its worth nothing now but drives well has no errors so will run it till it dies -- just came back from a 2000 mile round trip to south of France all good
I bought this for 15k nearly 5 years ago on 60k miles so it owes me nothing

Post #528151 15th Sep 2019 10:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1