Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Did I waste my money?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ikjos

Norway 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Did I waste my money?

First of all this is my first post here. Just got myself a 2012 Westminster.

I live in Germany and here it's required to have winter shoes on, so I went on Ebay and found some original Land Rover 20" wheels with some rubber fitted. The seller told me they came from a RR.

Picked them up today and it turns out that they probably came form a Sport.

275/40R20

From reading a lot of threads on this forum, I started to wonder...

The load index is 106V on the tires which equals 950kg, but should they be at least 109 (1030kg)? Don't really see that it would make much difference in real life with only 80kg difference...?

The wheels are rated to max load 860kg, which is anyway much less than the rubber fitted to them.

These are the wheels I just got (used):
https://www.alloyhub.com/shop/land-rover/d...loy-wheel/

I would appreciate any replies despite this topic probably have been brought up several times before Wink

Post #529630 30th Sep 2019 8:54pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Yes i can confirm they are RRS alloys sir... Thumbs Up

Post #529635 30th Sep 2019 9:45pm
Joe90

England 

Therefore the wheels are under specification by 149kg+ per corner....total 596kg Shocked
Take 'em back as mis-sold ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #529639 30th Sep 2019 10:25pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I have these fitted OEM on my L320 RRS MY2011, standard as part of the HSE Luxury pack, the only difference is the centre cap is silver not black as you have pictured. I have never see these wheels with a black center cap before, perhaps this is part of the refurb process. A diamond turned version of this wheel was standard on the 5.0SC L320 of the same era.

Mine currently wear Pirelli 275/40R20 106Y XL Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico (which I think are superb tyres for a blend of performance, comfort and long, long wear), and this is the same size as stated in the manual.

The manual states the approved winter tyre is: 255/50 R20 109H (and mentions Continental Cross Contact Winter).

I have no idea about how this differs from the L322 fatty. I seem to remember that the L320 weighs a smidge more than a L322, it is built on the ageing Discovery platform of the time. But to me it feels like you have the wrong tyres and whilst safety may be one concern, the insurance situation is a another one as they might decline a claim?

Post #529682 1st Oct 2019 12:00pm
ikjos

Norway 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Thanks for the replies folks,

In my mind there must be some sort of safety margin and that I should be fine, unless I fill the car up with bricks and hook up a huge caravan.

Spoke with the seller today and he was of course not interested in taking them back. I'll just keep them and not go too crazy with a car full of bricks on the Autobahn during the winter months.

I'm wondering what the actual physical difference between the wheels of L322 and L320 is. Maybe they are identical but just labeled different to sell more Wink

Post #529732 1st Oct 2019 6:00pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Don't know about the law in Germany (although I imagine it's more stringent) but it does not matter what actual weight the vehicle is at the time all components must be rated for the maximum possible plated gross weight/mass.

Do you really want to find out the hard way if you are unfortunate enough to have a claim/accident (even if unrelated to the wheels) & fall foul og the insurance assessor/German plod ?

Very irresponsible. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #529801 2nd Oct 2019 11:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1