Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Brakes Squealing at low speed and JLR's response
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mattlidster

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver
Brakes Squealing at low speed and JLR's response

Well I have had the car over 2 years now and not a single squeak or squeal from brakes till recently, car goes in for servicing and I complained yet apparently the stock answer from JLR is ……….

Really so every single JLR car has squealing brakes due to fluctuations in environment??? Smile Smile They are soon going to be saying its indicative of the marque sir!!!

Post #530611 11th Oct 2019 5:39pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I agree with JLR, the squealing is just tiny vibrations being amplified through the disc at an audible frequency. Assuming the pads are not worn.... it’s an unavoidable, cosmetic issue, not a fault by itself. As the discs/pads wear, it can come and go.

Post #530664 12th Oct 2019 1:40pm
Hozza12163

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

yeah, buuuuuut my last Merc ML350 didn't do it, the merc GLC 250 before that didn't do it, my 2010 vogue doesn't do it and none of the 20 leased cars have driven over the last 17 years have done it either.

I'd be tempted to tell them to bloomin fix it and maybe change to different brake pads

if you just got new pads/discs it could just be bedding in tho so is normal so long as it goes away soon FFRR
2010 TDV8 3.6 Vogue
Stornoway Grey

Post #530668 12th Oct 2019 3:16pm
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It shouldn't be 'normal' and let's be honest, it's totally unacceptable on a 100k car (actually it's unacceptable in any modern car, and pretty much none of them do it, exept LR's it would seem). My 12 year old BMW 320d worth about tuppence doesn't do it and never has.

JLR needs to get a real dose of realism, they even seem in denial about the quality issues and cr*p dealers they've got in China (really! You'd think they would have got that sorted wouldn't you? Then they could sort out their cr*p dealers in the UK). There are rumours of fields full of cars that can't be sold in China due to quality issues (according to Autocar), but apparently there's been a downturn in the Chinese market, which now sounds dangerously close to a euphamism. Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #530670 12th Oct 2019 3:58pm
mattlidster

Maybe its because they are 25% worn it means the old ones are now useless!!!! Its the all new 80/20 rule but in reverse!! Rolling with laughter

Post #530671 12th Oct 2019 4:26pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

For your education! Thumbs Up

It doesn’t stop it being annoying, I grant you that.

Post #530673 12th Oct 2019 4:45pm
mattlidster

Thumbs Up I would believe that with a Porker and high performance brakes, but having had the braking system completely fail at 1500 miles when it snowed I am less inclined to believe JLR, I have also just checked and new OEM pads are £200!! Which doesn't scream performance?

Post #530675 12th Oct 2019 5:05pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

And to contradict my post, I remember in 2011 or 2012 I had my L320 discs and pads replaced under warranty because they were squealing... and I didn’t even complain about it, they just did of their own accord when it was in for a service. And they’ve never squealed since. Maybe proper Brembo 6 caliper brakes are more susceptible.

Post #530683 12th Oct 2019 6:17pm
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

Land Rover & their brake suppliers spend a lot time & effort selecting pad materials that shouldn't make noises under the majority of typical driving. However their are big compromises between low / no noise & brake fade / performance.
Expensive, luxury cars would be almost unsellable in markets like Japan & China if they all made brake noise as Japanese cars are developed with no noise as an absolute necessity to meet customer demand - but they will compromise performance first. Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #530685 12th Oct 2019 6:26pm
Lyonhead

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

The previous LR I owned was a RR Sport SVR that had squeaking brakes at low speeds at just under 1000 miles. It had Brembo brakes. The solution given to the Dealership, by LR Technical, after they had fitted a number of brake pads with no success was shaving an edge off another set of new pads and it never occurred again.
Not sure if this helps Thumbs Up 19MY SVA-Dynamic Spectral Chromoflair Blue but colour not available in profile
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue - Gone
2010 RRS 5.0 Supercharged Navara Bronze - Gone
2008 RRS 4.2 Supercharged Black - Gone
2006 RRS 2.7 Diesel Rimini Red- Gone

Post #530692 12th Oct 2019 7:23pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

I had new pads fitted earlier this year which squeaked intermittently at low speeds. I asked my trusted dealer to look into it, but following Murphy’s Law, the car behaved whilst they had it. 2000 miles later the brakes don’t squeak, so I’m guessing its taking a bit off the pads that sorts it.

Post #530697 12th Oct 2019 8:00pm
brad s1

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

I don't do brake pads without also swapping rotors EVER. If you're just pad slapping and not replacing or turning the rotors they're worn in particular way the previous pads cut. You slap on new pads even if you can't see a discrepancy in the surface of the rotor it is there and may or may not yield some resonance depending on the condition. Reusing the old rotor may not always yield squeaking brakes but if you go with new pads/rotors (or have the rotors turned) you shouldn't have a problem.

The last time I had my rig in for service the estimated cost of the brake job up front was above $3000USD pads/rotors/labor. I always source my brakes from rock auto... blank rotors are essentially all the same, I get the version with the hat painted black as they look better and provide more corrosion resistance. I also grab the stoptec composite pads. Total is usually under $300 for the fronts which I carry out myself. I also replace all the hardware, pins/spring/etc and don't forget the grease. Everything fresh and seated proper it shouldn't make any noise. Paying a premium for the LR OEM replacements is insane.

Post #530766 13th Oct 2019 5:04pm
Mikey

Scotland 

There is a TSB for squealing brakes, involves filing off the upper edge of the brake pad

Post #530779 13th Oct 2019 6:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1