Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Quirky Starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

When my starter motor was replaced the bill had a debit and credit back item which I questioned. Apparently LR get the motors back for refurbishment, you can get the old motors back on non-warranty repairs provided you accept that it then costs more, because you don't get the credit back. I'll bear the comments about lead corrosion etc in mind should mine fail again, but I was told that when the workshop tested the motor it overheated very quickly, so maybe that really was the issue. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #469310 19th Feb 2018 11:13am
TomCobbly

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

This is the circuit diagram and as far as I can make out the start switch energises the junction box ignition relay via the CEM (providing all the CAN signals are good to go). From there it goes to the ECM and I'm guessing that the ECM energises the starter solenoid but from the diagram this appears to be via the alternator (generator) which seems a bit wierd.

Can any auto electrician confirm this?

2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE
1993 Discovery 1 3.5 V8i

Post #469314 19th Feb 2018 11:32am
TomCobbly

There is far more to it than above but it seems the ECM plays a big part in it.

2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE
1993 Discovery 1 3.5 V8i

Post #469315 19th Feb 2018 11:49am
TomCobbly

Let me say at the outset I'm not a conspiracy theorist......... but...

This seems to be a common problem on the TDV8 and I can't believe Landrover are not aware of it and just keep replacing starter motors. Do they use the same starter motors on the L405 SDV8 and do they suffer from the same problem?

I think Landrover should address the route cause of this problem be it software or starter motor. Thinking about it they must be aware of it if they put the windscreen wiper fix in their workshop manual.

I would ask anyone who is due to have their starter motor replaced by a main dealer to mark it first just to check if it has actually been replaced. Shocked 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE
1993 Discovery 1 3.5 V8i

Post #469328 19th Feb 2018 1:25pm
gotters

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Just searching and found this thread as my car has started exhibiting this exact behaviour, it's also the 2012 4.4 TDV8

Only thing I've been able to narrow down further is mine never fails to start when stone cold having been left for many hours, it only refuses when warm after a good run.

It's in the main dealers and they're giving me the 'no error codes seen, we're checking the battery' line, the battery is only a year old and they fitted that.

Post #530971 15th Oct 2019 12:41pm
jamesg25

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Nara Bronze
Similar thing

I’m also experiencing a similar issue with my 2012 4.4TDV8 - tend to find it won’t start after a it’s warm/been on a run. Have also read fault codes and found nothing that relates to the starter. Would be interested to know how you get on (and will be trying the windscreen wiper trick in future...)

Post #577146 25th Dec 2020 4:42am
gotters

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

mine ended up being lent to the main dealers top technician to drive home/back in the evenings so he could see the problem for himself and diagnose on the spot when it happened, took him a few days and he liked the problem but was frustrated at how hard it was to track down.

if I recall he was looking for resistance in the electrics and traced it back to a main fuse being very dirty around the contacts, they cleaned it up and the problem not recurred since over a year later.

I did pay for 1 new battery and a new starter motor at main dealer rates, but all the subsequent diagnosis and hours of tracing the problem were paid for by the dealer so I didn't end up too far out of pocket to trace down the tricky problem

I don't imagine the solution is 'one size fits all' as guess this can have many causes or areas giving the problem.

Post #577149 25th Dec 2020 7:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12