Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > NavTool - Carplay, HDMI mirroring, video in etc. 2008 L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
ctjfb

United Kingdom 
NavTool - Carplay, HDMI mirroring, video in etc. 2008 L322

Click image to enlarge

I have read a few references to the NavTool interface on these and other boards. Some positive, and some negative, so I thought I would post a short note on my recent experience fitting and using it.

This was on a 2008 TDV8. For sound to work you must have an AUX in on the rear of the centre console.

I have taken a few pictures of the unit installed and in operation, but the video of the use and installation that NavTool provide covers those aspects really well.

I just love the addition of CarPlay without disturbing any of the original functionality. I can play music / audiobooks using the Apple apps, and have a reasonable choice of navigation apps including TomTom (basically any iPhone apps that support CarPlay). It also supports Android in a similar manner.

The HDMI interface also allows smartphone mirroring so any app etc. can be displayed on the screen, or you can plug in an Apple TV unit (other brands are available..)

There are inputs for 4 video cameras - I use one for a 'towball' camera for accurate hitch-up, and one for a caravan rear facing camera (using additional wireless transmitter/receiver)

A few points to note:

The website https://www.navtool.com/land-rover-range-r...rplay.aspx talks about '100% plug & play, no wire cutting.. This isn't actually true. I believe they used to be able to supply an additional wiring loom that was truly plug&play, but that hasn't been available for some time for the older models. You do have to cut a few wires in the main connector to the SatNav uint in the boot (2x CAN plus Live & earth), but this is very simple to do - crimp connectors or solder (preferable) and tape or shrink tube. You also have to cut & splice the video cable to the SatNav, but also just basic wiring required although these are so fine that 'twist&solder' is probably the only way to do it..

Other than that it was just a case of running the HDMI, USB, and audio cables (extra) from the side locker in the boot to the centre console. This is a pretty trivial exercise requiring the removal of a couple of trim pieces, the door plates, and removing the passenger seat (or unbolting & tipping it up) to feed to cables through the existing wiring ducts to the console. Then simply plug the audio in the AUX socket, attach whatever you want to the HDMI (or don't run this cable and attach something in the rear locker), and plug an Apple or Android cable into the USB).

To enable SiRi (other Android helpers are available) , and to use the phone app etc. for calls simply run the supplied microphone cable (requires a 1 metre extension as Fatties are so 'roomy' Smile ) round the edge of the headlining - no need to drop just feed it under the seals & trim) and I attached the mic to the base of the rear view mirror but it could just as easily be up by the windscreen or on the dash somewhere...

A quick note about my experience with the company and support etc. I had read some horrendous comments and write-ups on some forums with people complaining about everything, but I have to say my experience was very positive. The item was shipped extremely quickly and I received it from the US within a week. I had an entertaining email chat abut the lack of true plug&play with their support, and I would say that perhaps the style and 'humour' in the responses were a little off-beat, and I can see how they could be taken negatively, but I didn't see it that way and was perfectly satisfied with the help and the answers provided.

Last point - It's not cheap. Prices are on the website, and shipping also adds a chunk. BUT - In my view it's well worth it.

Chris
2008 TDV8 Chris
2012 TDV8 4.4 Westminster

Last edited by ctjfb on 10th Oct 2019 9:18am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #530462 10th Oct 2019 7:26am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

excellent, thanks for the info. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #530463 10th Oct 2019 7:58am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I think I would be very happy to buy the equivalent installation for my 2011.
Excellent job.
Thanks for posting.
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #530464 10th Oct 2019 8:14am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I looked at this but thought that, although it was fine for Apple Carplay, it didn't seem to be quite so worth it for Android use.

There did seem to be a number of "add-ons" and I wondered what was needed in addition to the basic price shown. Did you have to "upgrade"? John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #530473 10th Oct 2019 10:58am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Looks handy but I'm guessing you lose the Terrain Response and 4x4 info display options? Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #530475 10th Oct 2019 11:30am
ur20v

A Trap 

It’s great to see a UK review and good experience so far... might just tip me over to purchasing one. Wish the price wasn’t such a sting but as there is no competition, it’s a case of suck it up.

Can you list exactly what you ordered as the web site is a little confusing, please.

Any negatives in form or function?

Cheers

Post #530476 10th Oct 2019 11:35am
ctjfb

United Kingdom 

To answer some of the questions

I ordered:
LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER 2005-2009 VIDEO INTERFACE with Apple CarPlay

https://www.navtool.com/land-rover-range-r...rplay.aspx

It comes with the NAVTool interface box, wiring bits & bobs, and the microphone.
There are no instructions or manuals - you just get pointed at:

It's a pretty comprehensive overview & install guide for the 2005 - 2009. I've no idea about earlier or later models, I have not looked at applicability or installation at all.

The only other bits you would need are the USB, HDMI, and audio cables to run to the console, or wherever you want them. These are just standard off-the-shelf. I used 4 metre USB male/female , HDMI male/male, and 3.5mm jack to left/right phono (RCA). I also used a 1 metre 3.5mm jack male/female to extend the microphone cable.

The interface and functionality are transparent to the vehicle. All original functions work in exactly the same way as they did. To use the NavTool you simple press and hold the NAV button for a couple of seconds and it switches to the NavTool. You can switch back and forth between it and the 4x4 display, audio, TV etc., and even the factory navigation.

Hope this info helps..

Chris Chris

Post #530479 10th Oct 2019 12:01pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Thanks, I could not work out of the interface was extra or included.

Post #530541 11th Oct 2019 6:37am
Andrewmoss

United Kingdom 

Thanks for this review. I've been looking at these for a while.

I'm guessing you can't get any hdmi input from the navtool onto the rear seat displays as the car won't give this as option? '57 Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged

Post #530643 12th Oct 2019 7:12am
ctjfb

United Kingdom 

I don’t have rear seat entertainment so I really don’t know. However complete ignorance is no reason not to ramble on and reply anyway...

The output from the NavTool is via the factory navigation video cable to the head unit. If there is a way to get the factory Sat Nav into the rear screens then the NavTool would work in the same way - but I doubt this is the case.

The HDMI port on the NavTool is an input port for smartphone screen mirroring, Apple TV units, Firestick etc. It then feeds these streams out on the above mentioned factory navigation unit video link to the head unit.

Chris Chris

Post #530645 12th Oct 2019 7:51am
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Do you mind saying what it set you back all in after postage tax etc? Cheers Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #531053 15th Oct 2019 9:54pm
ctjfb

United Kingdom 

Unit was just under $500 with various discounts etc.
Shipping was around $70
Customs value declared was 'favourable' - so taxes were about £35 Smile Smile
Tour mileage may vary ...

Chris Chris

Post #531063 16th Oct 2019 6:38am
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Not too bad for under £500 all in I t hi no the similar kit from Australia is £650-700 all in

I’ll check in in a couple of weeks the main reason I didn’t get this before was some reports in the us of it to coming on intermittently when you press the nav button so will be good to make sure this isn’t the case Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #531064 16th Oct 2019 6:41am
Peopete

United Kingdom 

Can these units be bought and fitted in the uk?

Post #531424 19th Oct 2019 11:40am
ctjfb

United Kingdom 

I had it shipped to the UK and fitted it myself - not a difficult job if you can solder a few wires together. I'm sure any auto-electrician would do it for a reasonable price .. It fits in the boot next to the SatNav so no dashboard dismantling required.

Chris Chris

Post #531447 19th Oct 2019 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>