Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Flip key conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Flip key conversion

I bought 2 flip keys from Dave back in 2016 https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic10413.html, but I didn't manage to do the flip key conversion back then, and now I thought I would give it a try once again.

I followed the how-to here on this forum:

- I moved the transponder to the new flip key (to the small compartment in front under the rubber gasket). Worked fine.
- Key blades are cut by a professional store here locally.
- The new flip key blade can open the driver door lock --> seems that the new key blades are cut with precision and identical to the original keys.
- When inserting the new flip key in the ignition switch, the steering wheel locker unlock (can hear click when key is inserted in the ignition switch), BUT THE KEY WONT TURN! What can be wrong?

I didn't do the central locking reprogramming yesterday, thought I would try to start the l322 with the new key first.

My L322 is a 2007 model TDV8 (produced in 2006).

Anyone have any ideas for what can hinder the flip key to turn in the ignition switch?

Post #534716 18th Nov 2019 6:51pm
its me

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Check the battery as if its low the key won't turn 2011 4.4 tdv8 Kahn. 2007 supercharged with 2012 lights and overfinch body kit. P38 with a full J.E.Engineering conversion

Post #534766 18th Nov 2019 10:34pm
Eirik34

The other original key turns without any problems, and when I place the transponder to the original key, that works as well perfectly. I changed the 12V start battery last Wednesday. I've also tested the battery in the new flip key - fully charged.
But the flip key will not turn in the ignition switch, even if it unlock the steering wheel lock - strange!

Post #534775 18th Nov 2019 11:10pm
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Check the length of the blades carefully, I suspect your new one will be a different size Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #534939 20th Nov 2019 9:04pm
Eirik34

Thanks Bushy - will do!
But since I bought the flip key (incl the blades) in a "group buy" from Dave back in 2016, my guess was that others in this forum would have experienced the same if those blades didnt have exactly the same dimensions as the original keys. But I agree with you - most likely there is a very small irregularity in the blade or cutting of the blades (so small it is impossible to see when comparing). But how come that the new flip key blades works in the door lock, but not in the ignition switch?

Post #534986 21st Nov 2019 8:21am
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

I have the same problem, made sure I had new batteries in both key fobs, and the blades looked like they were the same length, but to be sure I get my digital calipers out and the new key is 1mm shorter - I thought nothing of it and pressed on

Put the old transponder chip in the new flip key fob and whilst the key opens the doors manually, it does not operate the control locking, and when I put it in the ignition, the key will not turn at all - I'm guessing I'm in the same boat as Erik Rolling Eyes

am thinking of getting my Dremel out and shaving off some of the plastic shell on the new flip key, but its the central locking not working that is worrying me - any ideas or help welcome please

Post #542712 1st Feb 2020 11:53pm
lounge_on_wheels

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

I Did a flip key conversion on my 2003 , same by using the existing transponder chip into the new fob, but then had to do the key synch for it to be used in the ignition.

Post #542718 2nd Feb 2020 12:58am
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

is this the sequence

1) Get in and close the doors. Turn ignition on with your original working key and turn off quickly and then remove key (needs to be done in less than 5 seconds)

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, while holding down the "unlock" button, press the "lock" button three times.

3) Release the "unlock" button. (You may or may not get the confirmation from the door locks but they should lock and then unlock)

4) Holding the key at head level provides best results as the key sensor is in the side window pillar.

5) Repeat for each new key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized

6) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the original key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again

Post #542719 2nd Feb 2020 1:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1