Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Decisions Decisions!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

What's the D4 worth ? Is it beneficial to hand it back vs keeping it ?

I had a similar dilemma with mine earlier in the year - I'd also left it late & coincidentally, was also off to Australia.

In the end I just refinanced & kept it - so in a few years I'll own it, just in time to start the whole merry go round again when the new model is released and I can rent one of those Wink

As mine has been good so far, I didn't really fancy rolling the dice on a newer one.

Post #536096 1st Dec 2019 5:30pm
SS.Lyria

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

I have seriously considered keeping the D4. It's been a fantastic vehicle to own and to pay off the balloon payment would save loads of hassle and I'd effectively be buying it at trade price. But 3 years is along time for me to own any vehicle and changing to an L405 seems to be giving me a big itch that needs scratching, even if it could potentially lead to a load of hassle Whistle

Post #536109 1st Dec 2019 10:01pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

If you’re effectively buying the D4 at trade price why not buy it and then take your time to try a few 405’s and look for the right car at your leisure? Enjoy the process!

Buying to such a tight deadline is risky and if you’re buying at trade, you’ll still lose less on the D4 over the next 6 months than you would on whichever Fatty that you buy.

Post #536112 1st Dec 2019 11:09pm
SS.Lyria

Very true RM and to be honest I am favouring that option at the moment. I think I’ve left myself too little time to do this properly. The 3 or 4 I would go and look at tomorrow are all over 150 miles away, 2 of them in Scotland. Distance would not stop be buying what I consider to be a good one, but lack of time and distance could lead to a disappointing purchase.

Better to be patient, it’s not like are current chariot is not a nice place to be Thumbs Up

Of course if a FF within 50 miles takes my fancy, who knows Whistle

Post #536138 2nd Dec 2019 12:08pm
SS.Lyria

I keep reading how the motor trade is not doing very well and judging by my recent experiences I can see why.

I appreciate they have overheads and need to make a profit hence the buy low sell high mantra, but the gulf in price from trade to retail seems to have widened to unrealistic proportions.

Even when I find one that suits my budget and I’m prepared to deal, obstacles are thrown in the way.

Most recent example, offered Censored for mine (standard) took it on the chin because theirs was a decent buy.
Offered low rate finance Thumbs Up All good so far, so why is your monthly figure £130 more per month than my brokers Question
Apparently there figure included a 3 year warranty and gap insurance, don’t worry about those I said, I’ll sort those far more competitively, I’ll just take the low rate finance. Unfortunately sir it’s all part of the low rate package Whistle

Not a problem, I’ll use my finance to buy the car Thumbs Up Guess what, company policy doesn’t allow outside finance Censored

I won’t name and shame because at this point I got up and left without pushing to see if they would sell me the car the way I wanted rather than how they wished to proceed.

I didn’t even try and haggle on the asking price, whatever happened to straight forward retail transactions Big Cry

Post #537005 11th Dec 2019 11:19am
CUE99T

Scotland 

I believe the sell vs buy gap has got a lott bigger......bubble and burst comes to mind!

Car sales figures are down, and last years sales didnt look great either!!

Someone has to pay and the companies think its us!!

I'd say its unlikely I will change my car now also and wait to see when the L460 can come to market unless my visit to the dealer later today does something like a miracle!! all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #537027 11th Dec 2019 1:36pm
SS.Lyria

Decision made Very Happy

We finally found a dealer to do a deal. Offered not brilliant but a much better price for our D4 than anywhere else against a...... 2014 5.0 Supercharged Thumbs Up Loire Blue with ivory leather with more than enough toys for us and a mileage covered I was happy with.

I know MPG will take a hit compared to the D4 but we don’t cover silly mileage so should be liveable.

Pick it up hopefully on Friday and will post piccies ASAP.

Post #537523 15th Dec 2019 4:17pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

congrats Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #537527 15th Dec 2019 4:25pm
SS.Lyria

Thank you

Post #537529 15th Dec 2019 4:26pm
Red Merle

Congratulations on finding the right car Thumbs Up

I’d quite like to try a 5.0 V8 but my diesel bill is already nearly £700 a month Rolling Eyes

Post #537534 15th Dec 2019 4:50pm
SS.Lyria

Running costs were a nagging doubt but the only time we cover higher mileages in visiting friends or relatives within the UK or European driving holidays. I’m hoping that whilst cruising I should get early to mid 20’s which I can live with, I know it will fall off a cliff around the houses but most weeks that’s not much more than 50 miles which I know probably still equates to 5 gallons Shocked

One bonus, unleaded is currently £1.19 a litre at my local garage, 6p cheaper than diesel.

Although I’m going to have to be careful as I haven’t had to fill up with anything but diesel since 2007 Shocked

Post #537539 15th Dec 2019 5:09pm
Lyonhead

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

Unnecessary quote removed

Well done, looking forward to the pics and seeing what you think

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 19MY SVA-Dynamic Spectral Chromoflair Blue but colour not available in profile
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue - Gone
2010 RRS 5.0 Supercharged Navara Bronze - Gone
2008 RRS 4.2 Supercharged Black - Gone
2006 RRS 2.7 Diesel Rimini Red- Gone

Post #537540 15th Dec 2019 5:11pm
Red Merle

I’m doing about 35,000 miles a year, so it’s critical, but I’d not worry too much about fuel costs if your use is a little more sane! Think of the lovely noise they make Thumbs Up

Post #537557 15th Dec 2019 6:49pm
SS.Lyria

It’s a harder choice these days as the SDV6 found in my D4 and the V8 diesel in the FF are both superb refined engines. Back in the day when I was making the choice between the 4.6 petrol and 2.5 diesel in the P38 it was an easy one to make.

But driving the 5.0 supercharged makes you realise how your driving style has adjusted to the turbo lag found in both engines and I had the salesman checking my license when I threw him back in the passenger seat when pulling away from my 3rd roundabout Embarassed

But 10 minutes in I’d made the adjustment and I knew there and then I would be willing to put up with visiting my local petrol station on a regular basis.

I still had that nagging doubt of changing my beloved D4, which has been the most reliable LR I’ve ever owned for another that might be more LR like in the reliability department. But at least I’ve put the dreaded snapped crank issue to bed and many hours of reading seems to suggest the 5.0 is pretty safe in the engine department. Only trouble is it’s a LR so could be totally unreliable in every other department Whistle

Post #537564 15th Dec 2019 7:22pm
SS.Lyria

Picking up my new to me FF tomorrow. It’s going to get filthy on the 180 mile journey home so here it is looking bright and shiny Thumbs Up

Post #537919 19th Dec 2019 4:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>