Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SS.Lyria

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue
First Impressions 5.0 Supercharged

Awesome Very Happy

There summed up in one word Thumbs Up

Picked it up yesterday from Devon and came home via A303 to try it out on different types of roads rather than the M5/M4.

It didn’t disappoint in any department. Biggest surprise to me was the difference in handling compared to the D4. My D4 would hustle along nicely but I would lose my bottle long before the Disco would. But the L405 gives you so much confidence when attacking the twisty stuff, with no loss of the magic carpet ride.

Which is just as well with 500hp on tap, the engine is a thing of beauty. Boy racer levels of power when needed or majestic silent cruising when required. Busy roundabouts now have a totally different approach, with the D4 you anticipated a gap, allow for the turbo lag and go early. Do this in the V8 and your more than likely to hit a car than find the gap, the power delivery is instant.

Downsides. I averaged 20.5 on the way home (I wasn’t driving like Miss Daisy) The D4 would have averaged approximately 27 on the same journey. Car tax is £250 a year more. Current insurance company wouldn’t insure me, apparently my age and that vehicle are incompatible, I’m 55 Big Cry Gave me my money back and I renewed with a company that does insure ‘old timers’ Very Happy for £110 a year more than the D4.

But let’s face it you don’t choose a ff supercharged for it’s running costs.

History shows routine servicing with the only issue being new keys required last year although one never knows if other paperwork has been emitted .

So far so good and fingers crossed it’s a ‘goodun’ Thumbs Up

Post #538087 21st Dec 2019 11:24am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Sounds ace. I’ve been thinking on getting a late 322 with that engine as my second car as it barely does 4K pa. Would love a run in one.

Post #538088 21st Dec 2019 11:33am
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Congratulations, very nice, sounds like a good first run back!

I certainly still love my L322 5.0 S/C after nearly 2 years, and wouldn't want to change it. I maybe do 7k miles a year, so the petrol cost doesn't really make a huge difference, and it wafts along absolutely silently, or as you say, instantly delivers performance if you want it. Road tax and insurance (especially in London) are a bit high, but a price worth paying I think!

In my standard journey right across Central London and down to Poole via the M3, I average ~22 mpg. On pure motorway journeys I have had it up to 25 mpg, but rarely! On Thursday night just driving from Canary Wharf to Heathrow in peak rush hour to deliver a relative to the airport I averaged ~11mpg on the way there given the traffic (and very little motorway time), but on the way back crept up to 15 mpg. In city stop start driving the consumption really does plummet, but in my standard combined usage I think it's acceptable, having only ever driven Defenders before where I got a max of 27 mpg.

Post #538090 21st Dec 2019 11:59am
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Welcome to the Supercharged club Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Send some pics.

Post #538095 21st Dec 2019 12:25pm
SS.Lyria

Having come from a D4 where running costs were lower but still couldn’t be labelled economical, I’ve gone in with my eyes open. I think if you made the transition from a Nissan Micra you’d be in for a shock Laughing

Also got stuck in an horrendous jam on the M3 where an accident meant we only covered 2 miles an hour, plus the usual M25 car park around Heathrow, so the figure was probably nearer 30mpg Laughing

The lieometre hasn’t improved from models, according to that I was averaging 24.7 Whistle

Post #538096 21st Dec 2019 12:25pm
SS.Lyria

It got filthy on the journey home so will have to be washed before pictures and I can’t see that happening before Xmas. I wash my own, I really don’t trust those hand car wash places.

I started a thread titled decisions, decisions. There’s a video of it at the bottom of page 2 Thumbs Up

Post #538098 21st Dec 2019 12:30pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Congrats, I'm super jealous, and hope you have many enjoyable vroom vroom foot down miles!! all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #538111 21st Dec 2019 3:28pm
SS.Lyria

Thank you Thumbs Up

Post #538112 21st Dec 2019 3:43pm
Lyonhead

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

Well done and glad that you’re happy. It will be a very long time before the smile leaves your face when driving, if anytime at all Laughing

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 19MY SVA-Dynamic Spectral Chromoflair Blue but colour not available in profile
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue - Gone
2010 RRS 5.0 Supercharged Navara Bronze - Gone
2008 RRS 4.2 Supercharged Black - Gone
2006 RRS 2.7 Diesel Rimini Red- Gone

Post #538142 21st Dec 2019 8:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1