Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Intermittent heating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Intermittent heating

While I have some time over the festive season I'm trying to work out why my heater intermittently blows hot & cold. AJ 4.4V8 06 petrol L322. I've read all the previous posts, but nothing to pin point my issue.

One time it will work fine on manual or auto, reaching the desired temperature, next it will blow hot & then turn to blowing cold air. Having to switch the engine off & hope that it will blow hot again.

1. New radiator & expansion tank fitted & bled no air locks, constant Normal temperature (No low reading & no overheating).
2. New auxiliary pump & bulk head valves fitted ( No FBH fitted or secondary value fitted).
3. Center vent cleaned & cabin sensor fan operational.
4. Blower works on all speeds, Max operational on Max heating & cooling cycles.
5. Heater pipes to matrix getting hot & AC works fine.
6. All flaps working manually, including blend vent & set to 3 red dots.
7. Rear cabin heating does Not get hot separately.

I can only assume that for some reason, the system believes that it has reached the required temperature & therefore will not increase the temperature. I will look at both the heater temperature sensors ( two fitted as it's the high line system) to see if they are clogged up giving a false reading (unsure how to test them).
Has anyone else replaced these & did it make any difference?.

I was also thinking about the cooling system thermostat, Is this sticking?, but why does the system heat the cabin again once I've switched off & restarted the engine.

Any advise from members who have had similar issues & fixed it would be much appreciated.

Post #538546 26th Dec 2019 2:56pm
Highroller

Has anyone changed the heater temperature sensor/s?. Mine has the High line system therefore should have two, Finding one would be nice.
Had the center switches out & both the the foot well covers, but nothing (found the temperature A/C sensor & all the flap actuators etc). My lower steering wheel trim is different to that shown in the workshop manual (all one piece) & had a good look under both sides, but nothing Shocked

Post #538816 29th Dec 2019 2:16pm
Highroller

Ok Found them. They are located behind the control panel & added the photo's for future reference. Little fiddly to remove, but no signs of being clogged. I've purchased a new one & see if this makes any difference (unless both of them have gone ). After that then I don't know Shocked

Post #538915 30th Dec 2019 2:20pm
kezbo1981

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

On a long drive last night mine might be doing something similar, cabin unduly cold then fine after a restart. I noticed that the rear air vent was only ever blowing cold in any setting. Mine is a 2006 4.2 supercharged with the pre-facelift interior.

Have you tried blowing any dust out of the little vent on the heater control panel, it's next to the directional buttons I think. I believe this does something to monitor cabin temperatures.

That is going to be my first port of call. Otherwise i can't help with a solution, but let us know how you get on.

Post #539087 1st Jan 2020 10:21am
Knips

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Sorry a bit OT, but both my L322s had weird heating - I thought it was a 'design feature'/'they all do that' issue. Embarassed

Post #539110 1st Jan 2020 1:57pm
Highroller

Thanks for the replies. Already cleaned the air vent & fan working fine, as this was my first point of call. Knips, I know the L322's heating can be a little temperamental at times, but I shouldn't have these issues. I'll update once I've fitted the new sensor.

Post #539113 1st Jan 2020 2:23pm
Highroller

Update:- Replaced both the temperature sensors & feels better. Cleaned the thermistor & checked that it was working by doing a resistance check.
Still appear to have a flap selection issue to some degree. If i have the flaps set manually to screen & select foot well, I can see the motor link rod physically change, however this is not instant & not always happening.

If I turn the fan off & then back on again, I can then see the link rod move.

I assume that the flap direction change will not be that quick, but why will it not always change on request?. Shocked

Although the heating appears to be satisfactory, I would like to sort out the directional change issue. Loathed the dismantle the linkage / motors etc, as they work & seems to be signal issue.
Can the BCM be reset or best left alone. Whistle

Post #540165 11th Jan 2020 11:11am
landy95

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Hi, did you ever sort this issue out as i am having a similiar one. Went in to an indy to have a leaking thermostat fixed now its been returned and the weather getting cold i have noticed the heater is blowing cold air no matter how high i turn the temp controls up passenger and driver side.
It was working prior to the thermostat leak fix but may not be related. Also own a 1976 Land Rover 101 3.5 V8.
Previously owned 1991 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 V8.

Post #614234 30th Nov 2021 9:57am
Highroller

Nope:- Heater works perfectly fine until you get up to any speed. It then blows cold.

Basically the control valves are shutting off the coolant flow to the heater matrix, slow down & you have heat again. It's got to be an electrical issues & may try giving the control valves a permanent feed to see if that cures it.

All new parts replaced & No faults show on IID tool, Land Rover have no idea Shocked

I've only ever seen one other similar issue many years ago by AKKIS on the forum & he never found the issue Big Cry

Around town it's fine, however coming back from the airport after being in Lanzarote in the snow the other night didn't help & really did Censored me off. Only compensated by the heated seats / front screen & steering wheel!.

landy95, Yours sounds like an air lock.

Post #614250 30th Nov 2021 11:58am
Gsxr1250dave

England 

landy95 wrote:
Hi, did you ever sort this issue out as i am having a similiar one. Went in to an indy to have a leaking thermostat fixed now its been returned and the weather getting cold i have noticed the heater is blowing cold air no matter how high i turn the temp controls up passenger and driver side.
It was working prior to the thermostat leak fix but may not be related.

You have an air lock

Post #614285 30th Nov 2021 4:11pm
landy95

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Thank you both, i was thinking its more than likely an air lock but have not had time to investigate yet. Im going to have a look this afternoon hopefully, i will keep you posted.
Cheers
Neil Also own a 1976 Land Rover 101 3.5 V8.
Previously owned 1991 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 V8.

Post #614451 2nd Dec 2021 1:16pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I had all sorts of strange heating problems years ago turned out to be the air filter housing on the bulk head as at speed it was letting air flow direct in to cabin worth a look

Post #614531 3rd Dec 2021 5:38am
Highroller

Thanks Sandyt, Unfortunately already looked into this. Also tapped up all the inlets to stop any air coming in at all, but still the same.
Will have another look at the weekend Banging Head

Post #614630 3rd Dec 2021 5:20pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

I recently had the same issue caused by an airlock due to a tiny coolant leak from a faulty hose clamp on my lpg vaporiser. It has driven me mad but I have finally managed to shift the air lock.

Old fashioned method.....I shoved a garden hose in 1 end of the vaporiser hose blocked off the other left the expansion cap.off and turned the hose on gently mind........all sorted and iv since added anti freeze so I'm good to go.

Had to do the same thing on my p38 a few times .

Post #614656 3rd Dec 2021 8:33pm
Highroller

Dave, I tend to agree. Although I have bled & bled, I think its it got to be that.

I was thinking electrics, but having replaced everything & checking the feeds, it's got to be something simple.
The control valves are the open valve type & close when energized. Trying to see how the matrix get fed when the valves are closed, as the valves feed the two out of the three bulkhead connections (the third is the return). Trying to find a decent cooling flow diagram, showing the hose layout. Got a few but nothing really good.

I'll have a look tomorrow & see how they are routed. Also shove the hose through everything. Let you know the outcome. Paul.

Post #614682 4th Dec 2021 9:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>