Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Replace just air spring or complete strut on a 2011 L322?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Well done Paul, good job. It's not as bad as you think is it? Just a bit heavy lifting the strut up. The worst part of mine was the drop links, I ended up having to cut one end off. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #541021 18th Jan 2020 9:44pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks AJ! Yes, not hard at all, but I think I was pretty lucky with no cutting or even any bashing needed to get things apart. I was very generous with the penetrating fluid for several days in advance, which possibly helped a bit.

Post #541032 18th Jan 2020 10:55pm
paulbrown22

(Posted in wrong thread - deleted...)

Post #541033 18th Jan 2020 11:14pm
paulbrown22

I'm happy to say both new front struts remained fully inflated all night long, just as they used to, so hopefully normal service is now resumed for me.

It's all washed now, and even the interior mats cleaned for a change!

The final question is where (and how) exactly does this random bit of plastic (which doesn't seem overly useful) fit under the bonnet? I took it off from somewhere over the battery, but unless it is a completely random bit of plastic, it doesn't seem to fit back anywhere obvious particularly well! Or does it not really clip into anything?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #541058 19th Jan 2020 2:18pm
paulbrown22

Thankfully the battery replacement topic in the wiki (https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic43662.html) had beautiful pictures of this random piece of plastic and exactly how it fits in on top of the battery, so I can now declare the job fully completed!

It did the 120 mile run back to London absolutely perfectly this afternoon, no more suspension warnings on the dash. I was live monitoring for the first 2 hours on my IID tool, and the air gallery pressure held very steady unlike on the journey down to Poole, when it was slowly but continually dropping.

I'm sure I'll be carefully checking it every time I walk past it this week in case it goes droopy again, but hopefully everything is sorted now. Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments!

Post #541108 19th Jan 2020 11:04pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Paul you beat me to it, was just about to post a pic of mine:

Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #541110 19th Jan 2020 11:34pm
paulbrown22

Super, many thanks Greg!

I was sure someone would post a picture soon, but then suddenly thought surely someone already has, and a detailed write up of a battery change would be the obvious place to find one - fullfatrr.com does it again Smile

Post #541112 19th Jan 2020 11:56pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It is an odd set up for what is does...!

Well done sorting the air bags Thumbs Up .
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #541114 20th Jan 2020 12:08am
paulbrown22

Final job done this morning.

Until you receive them it's not obvious that the new struts don't come with these little plastic ciips that secure one of the sensor wires that goes round each strut. You're pretty much guaranteed to snap the existing ones off when trying to extract them, and so I ordered up some new ones this week. Thankfully with an average length arm you can get them located and get the wire secured again without needing to jack the truck up and take the wheels off. If you are replacing struts, worth ordering a couple of these SGK000080 clips at the same time, they are only ~40p each.

Having driven to London and parked up since last Sunday, it's stayed fully inflated all week as it always has done previously, so I think I can now finally declare the job 100% complete. Will have a fun drive round the North Circular tomorrow for some voluntary work to give it the final road test!

Post #541848 25th Jan 2020 12:46pm
WB

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Great news Paul! have you noticed any difference in ride quality since changing the struts out of interest?

Post #541886 25th Jan 2020 7:01pm
Range Rover L322

United Kingdom 

Precisely the same thing happened to a bunch of us recently (about 6 or 7 on here) - all happened when the weather got colder.

Front left seems to go then when the hole gets bigger the whole car drops.

Post #541890 25th Jan 2020 8:08pm
paulbrown22

Yes, I don't know if the cold weather was just the last straw for the rubber of the air spring and made it less flexible or something and thus more prone to getting a leak, or it just reached it's expiry age. The rubber on the expansion/contraction area certainly looked it's age, and presumably some of the crazing/cracking developed into a minor hole, which grew gradually bigger. Given both struts seemed to be the originals, so around 8.5-9 years old, I don't think that's a bad life for a rubber spring underneath a car of this weight and power.

WB - I must admit I've only driven it from Poole to London mainly on the M3, and haven't since used it this week. Tomorrow will be trekking round the North Circular in it, but not sure that is much of a handling test, more like a braking challenge! From the initial drive I can't say I personally noticed any difference either way, but then again, out of my 17 years driving, 15 of that was in Nineties/Defenders, so I'm still amazed by the ride quality of my L322 every time I get in it! Once I get it out on some country roads though I'll see if there's any noticeable changes and report back.

Post #541895 25th Jan 2020 9:33pm
klf400

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Ahh cheers guys , was gonna toss it in the boot and forget about it 😂🤣but I see now we’re it goes
It’s weird when I start a topic I get a notification of the first reply then I don’t get anymore, I have notify me ticked but just get 1 notification and that’s it , have I undone something 🤔 1990 3.5 v8 defender
2000 4.6 v8 30th anniversary prins lpg
2004 4.4 v8 vogue prins lpg
2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
faultmate extreme
rsw allcoms
Autel 906BT
Gap iiD tool

Post #549292 3rd Apr 2020 11:24pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Lovely looking FFRR Thumbs Up 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #549302 4th Apr 2020 1:31am
paulbrown22

Thanks dolph34 - I do my best, although can't quite compete with Greg's attention to detail on the plastics and other pieces! But I plan to keep it a long time, so try and look after it - some fresh washing/polishing/waxing equipment is gradually arriving in Poole, as we were here when the lockdown was announced and don't overly fancy going back to London at the moment, and I stupidly didn't bring my car pampering kit with me as I often do at weekends...

My Dad has always fancied one as well, especially a 5.0 S/C since I've picked up mine, so we went to look at another one locally a month ago. Pretty expensive at a local independent, and I thought in dreadful condition externally, despite only ~45k miles. It had scratches everywhere, at least two wheel arches dinged and dented on the curve, pock marks all over the rear quarters, rust on the rear arches, completely crazed headlights, scraped bumpers, etc... Dealer reckoned it would all polish out! It was also a different grey (Orkney maybe), which I didn't think had nearly as much depth and fleck as the Stornoway, although maybe that was just the condition this example was in!

That experience has made me even more determined to look after mine Smile.

Post #549401 4th Apr 2020 9:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12