Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Tow/recovery rope recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
FrankRizzo

Germany 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

You've convinced me. Just ordered myself a set Smile 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black
2008 Vogue 3.6 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Java Black

Post #540815 16th Jan 2020 9:48pm
BIRDY57

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Rimini Red

Hi just seen this post. Will not go wrong with a strap, but remembef do not use the tow ball , if you have one fitted, to recover a vehicle. Like wise don't rely on the transportation loops under vehicles. Only use dedicated tow points. Always err on the side of safety. Its always gratifying helping someone out. Wink

Post #541254 21st Jan 2020 1:22am
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Why not use the towball, after all I would have thought it the strongest part of the rear bodywork ? 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #541255 21st Jan 2020 1:41am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

The tow ball issue......

It depends on what sort of recovery you’re doing. If you attempt a snatch recovery, where you kind of take a run up, then there is a very real risk that the tow ball snaps off and becomes a missile.

Even if you start off with a gentle pull, if the other vehicle remains stuck, it’s easy to escalate to a snatch after a couple of failed attempts.

There have been various debates over the years about how strong tow balls are, but I’ve personally seen them ripped off vehicles (albeit they were bolted on with poor mountings) and there are videos you can google where people have been killed by them during a failed recovery attempt.

Attaching to a ring is safer, but there is also a risk with however you attach it, usually a shackle, which will also do some damage..... but they are made differently and less likely to fail - a tow ball is cast - and As I understand it, castings tend to be more brittle in shock conditions - so whilst they can have a high tow rating, they can snap earlier than might be expected.

The other solution is to buy a more feeble tow strap so that becomes your failure point.......

Also, make sure everyone stands well back - for some reason, people seem to want to stand in close and somehow feel like they are helping

Post #541265 21st Jan 2020 9:42am
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

As a regular off-road 4x4 trials competitor, I can say that our National body recommends the use of Tow Balls for recovery - AS LONG as they're fastened on with the recommended fasteners to an approved tow bar / tow bar armature- ie NOT some cheap bolts that have been found in the garage or using somebodies cobbled together angle iron tow bar. The bolts should be 8.8 grade minimum & ideally 10.8 grade, with nuts to suit.

In decades of off-roading & dozens of recoveries of very stuck vehicles, I've never seen a tow ball fail. I believe they're forged not cast (unless maybe a non certified Chinese special) - so are fine for snatch loading.
However, I've seen numerous chassis mountings / chassis / crossmembers fail - because they were rusted very badly & the owner couldn't see the issue.
I've also seen numerous ropes / straps fail because damage was ignored or the rope / strap was significantly under strength.

The above recommended nylon straps (aka strops) are great for convenience - ie being light & packing away into little space - BUT they are the most likely cause of attachment failures because they have almost zero stretch, so are brutal to mounting points when people do "snatch" recoveries - intentionally or by accident.
The only functional advantage of a strap is that there is minimal stored energy in the strap, so that if an attachment breaks they don't fly through the air in the same way as a rope or especially a "kinetic" rope (which are designed to be very stretchy & are highly dangerous in inexperienced hands).
I use both straps & ropes - choosing which is right for the conditions, but NEVER using a strap IF a snatch is required.

As someone has already said, Halfords & other motor factors ropes / straps are dangerous toys. They might be fine for towing a Fiesta on a flat tarmac road, but they will break easily if subjected to the 4 tons plus loads you can easily generate when trying to extract a well stuck Discovery or Range Rover. For off-road recovery breaking strengths above 6 tons are normally recommended for Land Rovers. All mine are 9 tons min. & I've never had a problem - even with 2 vehicles connected together to carry out a very severe snatch recovery once when our 2.5 ton Disco was stuck upto the axles last year.

Recovery equipment is a complicated area with lots of compromises / issues needing to be understood to carry out recoveries safely. Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #541268 21st Jan 2020 11:12am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

@Alistair,

Are you down south at the moment? Is storm Gloria affecting you? Sad John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #541288 21st Jan 2020 4:28pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Opinions differ, but I’m in this camp:

Thumbs Up

Post #541290 21st Jan 2020 4:42pm
Alistair

Weegie wrote:
@Alistair,

Are you down south at the moment? Is storm Gloria affecting you? Sad

It seems to have missed Andorra though lots of snow forecast this week.

I need to drive back from Toulouse airport on Thursday night, so I’m watching the forecast

Post #541295 21st Jan 2020 6:17pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Liking the sound of “lots of snow forecast” will be there this time next month. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #541441 22nd Jan 2020 5:25pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

anything else bar snow in andorra???? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #541450 22nd Jan 2020 5:42pm
Alistair

Compacted old snow aka ice
Rain on top of snow that freezes aka ice
Nice fresh snow aka powder

Hopefully the scenario will be perfect - snow whilst I’m in the U.K. - roads cleared just before I get there - then sun out at the weekend Cool

Post #541475 22nd Jan 2020 7:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12