Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Driving in France on Holiday
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Driving in France on Holiday

There is a number of posts on different threads regarding driving in France and the need for IDPs etc. I thought it might be useful to put this in a separate thread.

This is from the French Government site: (Translation below)

"L’accord de retrait ne contient aucune disposition sur le permis de conduire. Il prévoit néanmoins une période de transition.

Pendant la période de transition, les règles européennes continuent à s’appliquer en France et au Royaume-Uni : il n’y aura pas de conséquence sur les permis de conduire.

Après la période de transition,

Avec accord de retrait

Si vous êtes touriste en France, vous pouvez conduire pendant la durée de votre séjour avec votre permis de conduire obtenu par examen au Royaume-Uni. Le permis de conduire international n’est pas nécessaire si vous êtes en possession de la traduction de votre permis de conduire.

Sans accord de retrait

Si vous êtes touriste en France, vous pouvez conduire pendant la durée de votre séjour avec votre permis de conduire obtenu par examen au Royaume-Uni. Le permis de conduire international n’est pas nécessaire si vous êtes en possession de la traduction de votre permis de conduire."

The withdrawal agreement has no provision covering driving licences. I does however provide for a transition period.

During the transition period, European regulations continue to apply in France and the United Kingdom. There will be no effect on driving licences.

After the Transition Period

If you are a tourist in France, you can drive during the period of your stay with your driving licence obtained by a test in UK. An International Driving Permit is not required IF you are in possession of a translation of your driving licence.

This is for either a deal or no deal scenario.

This is the current statement on the French Government website and I would expect that will continue to be the case.

Hope that is of some assistance to those looking to drive in France on holiday. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #541761 24th Jan 2020 4:46pm
RichM63

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
en possession de la traduction de votre permis de conduire."

and after 3 decades here I'd bet that the only acceptable translation is an official notarized version, which will cost significantly more £ than an IDP from the post office.

As an aside, I wonder if all this will mean that we will be able to get back our UK licences from the DVLA.

Rich L322 3.6 TDV8 Vogue. 07MY
ML 320 7 Seat full leather etc. (The Black Pearl) Wink

Post #541770 24th Jan 2020 5:23pm
bebechoon

France 

I’m inclined to agree with you, Rich, I can’t see any translation other than an official one (i.e. by a traducteur assermenté, an officially certified translator) would be accepted.
Which, as you say, is costly!

That’s an interesting point you raise concerning our UK licences. I exchanged mine for a French licence shortly after our arrival in France in 1985, but I had previously obtained a duplicate of my UK licence so I shall have to try to find it. I expect it would have expired by now, though.
 It's "bébéchoon", ackcherly, with accents. 'Steve' to my chums.
20 years ownership of Solihull products, ALL GONE NOW, sniff!
Current motor: Suzuki S-Cross 4WD auto, 1.4 petrol. Oh so reliable! 5 years now and no problems. Oh, all right then, a leaking shocker replaced under guarantee.
Previous:
TD6 HSE L322 Auto FF
2.5 TDi 4-door Classic
Disco II
And my 1st Rangie: in 1995, a 2-door VM 2.5 diesel Classic
Not to mention the Lada Niva before those. (I said not to mention it!)

Post #541830 25th Jan 2020 9:01am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I really only posted it to try and reassure those travelling this year during the transition period.

What will happen at the end of the period is not certain but the French site gives some indication of the approach.

As for translation of the licence, I would think that would be directed at those who still don't have the credit card type (are there any left with the green one?).

The format of the UK credit card driving licence is identical to the French (European?) one and, unless for some chauvinistic reason it is changed, there would be no need for a translation.

I would suggest that the wording re-translation is to cover all aspects.

Time will tell. Confused

@Steve, To my knowledge you can still get a certificate of entitlement from the DVLA.

Trust you are both well and settled in the new location. All the best for 2020. Thumbs Up John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #541839 25th Jan 2020 10:42am
bebechoon

France 

@John
Thanks John, I'll look into that.
Cheers!
 It's "bébéchoon", ackcherly, with accents. 'Steve' to my chums.
20 years ownership of Solihull products, ALL GONE NOW, sniff!
Current motor: Suzuki S-Cross 4WD auto, 1.4 petrol. Oh so reliable! 5 years now and no problems. Oh, all right then, a leaking shocker replaced under guarantee.
Previous:
TD6 HSE L322 Auto FF
2.5 TDi 4-door Classic
Disco II
And my 1st Rangie: in 1995, a 2-door VM 2.5 diesel Classic
Not to mention the Lada Niva before those. (I said not to mention it!)

Post #541892 25th Jan 2020 8:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1