Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > 2014 RR ATB to buy. Questions/concerns?. Video/pics attached
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
horse86

United States 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey
2014 RR ATB to buy. Questions/concerns?. Video/pics attached

Have a 2008. I’m pretty new to the L405. Does this sound normal?

2014 ATB w/ around 30k miles. I noticed the engine has like a ticking sound to it. Do these 5.0L v8 SC engines have a vanos? Fuel pump? Lifters? It seemed louder on the left side (passenger side For USA) of the engine cover. This was on a cold start. It may have quieted down once it warmed up but not 100% sure.

https://vimeo.com/384340649

also getting a “low battery” message on the dash? “Low battery please start the engine”? Failing battery?[/url] 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #540322 12th Jan 2020 5:22pm
horse86

Got under and took some pics

Some rust on it. Canister has some rust. Looks to be surface rust. Not sure what this part is

Misc rust.

Also looks to be a small leak on the rear diff? There is a plastic box right in front of the hitch that appears to have some blow back oil on it. The plug you can see has a drip on it.

What do you guys think? I’m planing on telling them I want to take it LR for a PPI. 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #540377 13th Jan 2020 12:11am
horse86

Duplicate 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Last edited by horse86 on 13th Jan 2020 12:36am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #540380 13th Jan 2020 12:30am
horse86

I’m hearing things ranging from “this is normal sound”, to “engine over heated”, “bad timing chain”, “lifters” , etc? 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #540382 13th Jan 2020 12:35am
horse86

Really? No one? 5.0 SC isn’t a hard to find engine on these. Anyone can comment if this is typical on the engine etc? 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #540524 14th Jan 2020 3:07am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Will try to help :

My brother has a 5.0 Supercharged - they are known for timing chain rattle, it’s the nature of the engine and a chain - they rattle slightly and so does his. If it’s excessive then you have a problem - suggest listen to you tube vids as to what is considered excessive or find a trustworthy mechanic to check it out.

Rust - it’s a 6 year old car and those parts only have a light primer / service coat - they all rust - especially if the vehicle has been used in a damp atmosphere or where salt is used on the roads. Personally I wouldn’t worry and would just saturate it in oil to prevent it getting any worse.

The diff just looks damp - as long as it’s not dripping oil then i wouldn’t worry.

It’s not a new car - you cannot expect a 6 year old vehicle to have no blemishes or signs of use 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #540527 14th Jan 2020 8:00am
SS.Lyria

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

I have a 2014 MY 5.0 supercharged which has covered 43k miles and is very quiet at idle, so I would investigate further.

What part of America has it spent it’s life. If it’s from a Northern State that level of rust isn’t so bad. If it’s from Florida or California I’d be more concerned. In the UK cars that have spent their life in the highlands of Scotland are very often far worse for rust than those that are from Southern England.

Regarding the battery, if it has spent a bit of time on a dealers forecourt I wouldn’t worry too much. When I go through the menus on mine without the engine running it has occasionally put this message up, but my battery test is always spot on.
Due to the high level of functions on a ff, I think the warning is activated quite early to avoid battery drain. Having said that, it’s quite easy to check a battery, so you could negotiate the price accordingly.

Good luck and the 5.0 supercharged L405 is a lovely place to be, especially at the prices you guys are lucky enough to pay for petrol Thumbs Up

Post #540558 14th Jan 2020 1:32pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The 5.0's rattle is usually more audible from a distance i have found... So, walk 20 feet away from it and if it sounds whiney, its usually the timing chain rattle! Thumbs Up

Post #540560 14th Jan 2020 1:56pm
horse86

Vogue wrote:
Will try to help :

My brother has a 5.0 Supercharged - they are known for timing chain rattle, it’s the nature of the engine and a chain - they rattle slightly and so does his. If it’s excessive then you have a problem - suggest listen to you tube vids as to what is considered excessive or find a trustworthy mechanic to check it out.

Rust - it’s a 6 year old car and those parts only have a light primer / service coat - they all rust - especially if the vehicle has been used in a damp atmosphere or where salt is used on the roads. Personally I wouldn’t worry and would just saturate it in oil to prevent it getting any worse.

The diff just looks damp - as long as it’s not dripping oil then i wouldn’t worry.

It’s not a new car - you cannot expect a 6 year old vehicle to have no blemishes or signs of use

Others have said the chatter is the injectors and normal for this engine. Here is another vid I found online and you can hear the chatter starting at the 1:45 mark (in between revs)....this is a brand new engine with under 50 miles on it.

https://youtu.be/DRmudWDcvf4

Agreed on the surface rust on those parts...I wouldn’t thing it’s a show stopper. The car is from Rhode Island (North east USA) so it is in the snow belt. The very low mileage is what is attracting me to it. So although it’s first 30k have been there it’s only been 3Ok. I’m in the snow belt also so I can’t be too critical. Just wanted to make sure this wasn’t a red flag.

So this is normal for these diffs? Question...when these are shifting, is it typical to feel the shifts or are these known To be very smooth and linear where it feels like one long gear? I felt like on initial test drive (granted I was going up hill on a cold engine) I felt the shifts. 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Last edited by horse86 on 15th Jan 2020 3:19am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #540630 15th Jan 2020 3:02am
horse86

SS.Lyria wrote:
I have a 2014 MY 5.0 supercharged which has covered 43k miles and is very quiet at idle, so I would investigate further.

What part of America has it spent it’s life. If it’s from a Northern State that level of rust isn’t so bad. If it’s from Florida or California I’d be more concerned. In the UK cars that have spent their life in the highlands of Scotland are very often far worse for rust than those that are from Southern England.

Regarding the battery, if it has spent a bit of time on a dealers forecourt I wouldn’t worry too much. When I go through the menus on mine without the engine running it has occasionally put this message up, but my battery test is always spot on.
Due to the high level of functions on a ff, I think the warning is activated quite early to avoid battery drain. Having said that, it’s quite easy to check a battery, so you could negotiate the price accordingly.

Good luck and the 5.0 supercharged L405 is a lovely place to be, especially at the prices you guys are lucky enough to pay for petrol Thumbs Up

So yours is quiter? Granted I shoved my phone down inside the engine to get an accurate sound. And the the dealer is right off the highway so I didn’t want passing cars to alter the sound. When I raise the phone up over the engine cover to the other side you can hear the sound is not as loud.

It’s from North East US...so it’s in the snow/salt belt. I’m also in the snow/salt belt. One of the reasons I’m looking at this car (instead of G63) is bc Those have terrible mettalurgy Process with their steel and known to rust badly where as these are aluminum and won’t. Just wanted to make sure this isn’t any red flags for these parts with surface rust.

The car has been at this dealer for a coulple weeks inside and outside. They were trying to put new brakes on it and after doing so it now has a pulsing in the pedal. Told them it needs fixed or I’m not interested. But to answer your question maybe sitting for a week or so not being started? It started fine when the battery message came up. But hey if I can get a new battery for free why not. I just don’t want to have a dying batt and have to replace on my dime in a month or two.

Agreed I loved the extra power compared to my 4.4 NA L322. 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #540631 15th Jan 2020 3:11am
horse86

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
The 5.0's rattle is usually more audible from a distance i have found... So, walk 20 feet away from it and if it sounds whiney, its usually the timing chain rattle! Thumbs Up

I’d say a more accurate description is chatter. The other vid Above I posted looks to have the same sound (at 1:45 mark). Here is also another video of the chatter from another member on a different 5.0 SC. He said it sounds fine in the OP video. AnD That Bad timing chains sounds like marbles being dumped into the motor.

His Video below is first start after a week or so of not driving.

https://youtu.be/vZ0rOLEI6Yg 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #540632 15th Jan 2020 3:17am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The shifts could easily be down to the car sitting for a while! The ECU keeps a memory or adaptions, this allows the gearbox to memorise your driving style and adapts itself to suit you...

If the car hasn't been driven for ages and the battery has been flat etc then These adaptations can be lost... this could cause bad shifting etc etc Thumbs Up

Post #540639 15th Jan 2020 9:38am
horse86

Had the vehicle into Land Rover dealer for a PPI pre-purchase inspection. And they came back with 2 things:

1) rear door won’t unlock from inside - not a huge deal and easy/low cost fix.

2) rear diff “significant leak and will need to replace pinion and seal”.

Total to fix both: $1800

is this normal fix or should they be replacing the rear diff?

I’d negotiate these costs off the price of the car. 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #541789 24th Jan 2020 9:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1