Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > The dreaded bong - Trans failsafe prog on a L322 TD6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
The dreaded bong - Trans failsafe prog on a L322 TD6

So last Saturday after various small indications i got the dreaded bong with Trans failsafe prog.

I have probably been on borrowed time but the indications/symptoms have been somewhat spurious, having been reading from various posts on here [dirty fuel, no codes, slight judder, etc etc]

Anyway, its now parked up and i saw a post suggesting several good & reliable indys who can repair replace the gearbox - which, despite looking again i cannot find.

There was at least one in Kent, which would suit me as i would transport the fatty back to the UK for repairs [with some other work that needs to be done, radiator, AC compressor etc etc].

So what i am asking for are recommendations from members who have had a replacement GM gearbox, garage must be within the south and able to do other work.

A long shot, but if anyone knows of one in Belgium, Holland or western germany then i would also consider.

I wish to keep my fatty just for light towing and semi-retirement, having had it for 13 years and i know every single KM that shes done [all 340000 of them].

Thanks in advance

Post #544458 19th Feb 2020 7:16pm
Zulu 10

United Kingdom 

Sorry for the late reply, but are you certain that it's the gearbox at fault?

The reason I ask is that my Td6 did this almost a year ago, but there were no transmission fault codes at all.

The problem therefore was not inside the gearbox, but with the Transfer Box selector motor, or rather its position sensing potentiometer which had failed, thereby giving a noisy signal such that the controller couldn't be certain whether the transfer box was in high, low or neutral.

Unfortunately despite many people's valiant efforts, no-one has been able to source a replacement potentiometer, so the options are a new motor for £800 ish, or risk a second hand one of unknown provenance typically £200.

I found a third option and opted for a rebuilt and modified one from these people: http://www.4x4lro.co.uk for a little under £400.

I was lucky to go there and see the revised version being built. I won't reveal the secrets of what they put inside, but as a professional electronics engineer, I can say that I was very impressed with the thought and effort that had gone into the 'new' design.

Mine has been in for almost a year and I remain very impressed.

Post #545810 2nd Mar 2020 6:05pm
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Hi Zulu,

Thanks for your reply - i sent the wagon back to the UK and it was a failed torque converter. So a TC & gearbox rebuild.

She came back yesterday evening and all seems to be OK, albeit a rather short drive this morning.

It was all done at JTAutomatics at Erith, along with 1 + 2 other jobs.... I must say not only have they been very helpful but also very accommodating bearing in mind that they received it off the back of a transporter, fixed it, and its transported back to Belgium.

She is quite high mileage [well kms] at 342,000. Having done all of them and knowing its history i didn't really want to scrap her. She'll now be in semi retirement, winter work & lightish [classic car] towing.

Now for some other little jobs, bodywork, etc etc.....
Thanks for the thoughts & ideas..

Post #547253 15th Mar 2020 7:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1