Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Trickle charger question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I just topped up my AGM battery in the 5.0 S/C with my CTEK 7 series. Just connect to the positive and then find somewhere for the negative, and connect to the charger. Easy and same as any other car.

The CTEK are great, I've managed to restore and recondition some old batteries and bring life back into them.

Post #549814 10th Apr 2020 1:17am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I have had it on charge for days now and it finally starts getting a decent voltage in the battery. I have a cheap cigarette socket USB charger with voltage indicator and it is finally well into the 12 volt region. Probably a good thing the Optimate takes its time to charge it.

No playing kid in it for a few days either so that may explain why it finally charged Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #550273 14th Apr 2020 8:51am
RR P38

Australia 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I have some reservations about charging a connected battery.......regularly.
Why?
Your alternator is designed to direct current towards the battery, diodes within it allow current to travel in one direction only towards the battery.
Then there is the voltage regulator stage.
The higher quality chargers claim to "not damage" these components, this may well be true of the "trickle" chargers.
Even a 5amp charger generates a considerable amount of current and thus heat.
If you are using anything like a 10amp or more charger I would be even more cautious
You can avoid this by putting an isolator on your negative battery post.
From experience L322 alternators are prone to failure at the best of times and pretty expensive units

Post #550444 15th Apr 2020 9:43pm
TJRL

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Reading RR P38's post made me think about fitting an isolator on my negative battery post, which would effectively allow for the disconnecting of the battery at the turn of a knob.

But I seem to remember that re-connecting the battery (via the isolator) on a 2011 MY L322 could involve lots of "re-setting" things like the sunroof, steering etc. Is that correct? 2010 Range Rover TDV8 Baltic Blue Autobiography (2011 MY) - SOLD Sad
1960 Land Rover SII SWB SW
2020 BMW R1250 RT LE
2021 Triton ST-125 (Monkey Bike)

Last edited by TJRL on 16th Apr 2020 12:21pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #550484 16th Apr 2020 11:41am
RR P38

My 2003 L322 the only thing I have to reset is the steering angle everything else fires up as normal a quick lock to lock and your done.

Post #550485 16th Apr 2020 11:50am
JohnK

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

On my 2003 TD6 its the steering angle, windows and sunroof and the date and time.

Also lose trip milage and mpg etc.

Post #550495 16th Apr 2020 12:56pm
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

this one looks nice n neat n tidy

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/battery-ter...ation.html

Post #550552 16th Apr 2020 9:07pm
RR P38

I use this exact system......without the fuse though, if I want to charge or isolate the battery two turns on then Green knob and its isolated, this does the same but seems to be some form of anti theft arrangement Thumbs Up

Post #550577 16th Apr 2020 11:33pm
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black
Wiring Losses

The instruction to remove the battery from the vehicle is waffle used to hide some simple physics.

The operational vibration, heat and the 'skill' of mechanics doing electrical work all contribute to loose, bad, corroded and omitted junctions throughout vehicle electrical system. The 100 amp alternator in the Range Rover often can overcome these and properly charge the battery. A 3 amp charger clipped over a loose battery terminal won't notice the 3-4 volts lost in the bad connections so when it 'sees' that the battery is at 13.5V it is actually just at ~11V. But if the battery is away from the vehicle and the charger is clipped directly to it then 13.5V will be delivered.

The remote jump start studs on the body work in front of the battery compartment are NOT suitable for trickle charging. High end, modern chargers *may* use smarter algorithms to sample the real voltage, but they will not get the 'real' voltage if there is even a single bad or slightly loose joint anywhere between the charger clips and the battery.

I personally don't remove the battery, but I always test the terminal connections (give them a twist) before clipping my smart charger leads directly onto the terminals ON THE BATTERY.

This is old knowledge, any auto electrician or competent mechanic will always tell you to connect a charger directly to the battery. Connected to terminals on the battery that you know are tight is next best, and in reality is just fine. Connected to jump start points that rely on jointed cables, earth straps and conduction through the body work WILL introduce voltage drops. As for connecting through the tow plug ...

bye. 2003 TD6, EGR delete, vortex crankcase breather update, performance chip, UHF 2 way, Android head unit, crash camera on dash, always-on rear view camera to mirror screen, LED DRL`s, Electric trailer brake controller. FSR replaced. Pulling 3T caravan all about Australia

Post #550592 17th Apr 2020 2:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12