Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Rear wiper inoperable 2007 3.6 TDV8 VSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
uzp315

Rear wiper inoperable 2007 3.6 TDV8 VSE

Rear wiper/washer completely inoperable.

Already fixed the interior leak, external leak, several times.

Most recently I couldn't get a decent water-tight seal when reassembling the motor unit, and so I used a really hardcore nemesis instant grab to seal the outside of the unit. Might never get it open again Smile

Checked rear fuse 5 (20amp) and front fuse 41 (5amp) and swapped them over.
Power to rear wiper motor connections checked with multimeter - all ok.

The wiper was slowly seizing through lack of use during the lock down. I tapped it with a hammer a few weeks ago and it freed up.
Now after another few weeks it seems to be fully seized. I can hear some kind of activity briefly within the unit (I think) when I switch on the rear wiper, but it doesn't do anything, I cant free it by hand, tapping it with a hammer doesn't free it.

The wiper does not move and there is no longer any washer water either. Front jets included headlight washers all work fine. Rear washer jet did work.

Any ideas what I might be missing? If nothing else, then I will have to take the unit apart (if I can get the nemesis off) and check it over again.
Thanks
Mark

Post #552894 6th May 2020 9:03am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

There comes a time when you just have to buy a new one... mine went through a similar tale, I just binned it and put a new one on after stripping it several times, my theory was that it had minuscule play in lots of areas and that was enough to upset it and stop it working...

Maybe worth one last go though...!! Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #552899 6th May 2020 9:42am
uzp315

Yes, I have been thinking that way - it would be like the dawn of a new era! Between the wiper motor and the rear parking camera I have had that area of the car in bits more than any other.

I just wanted to check I have not overlooked something daft before going ahead to buy a replacement, fitting it to find that I should have just checked xyz first Smile

Post #552901 6th May 2020 9:46am
uzp315

Can anyone think of anything I might be missing before I buy a new part ?
Thanks
mark

Post #554033 16th May 2020 7:32am
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Haylands wrote:
There comes a time when you just have to buy a new one... mine went through a similar tale, I just binned it and put a new one on after stripping it several times, my theory was that it had minuscule play in lots of areas and that was enough to upset it and stop it working...

Maybe worth one last go though...!! Thumbs Up

+1 I had to give up repairing and buy a new one but it did last for 10 years and 150k so not too bad oh and several repairs

Post #554034 16th May 2020 7:54am
uzp315

Think you misunderstood my post mate.

I said, am i missing anything else before i buy a new one? There is no point buying a new one, if there is something I have overlooked that is as simple as a fuse or connector elsewhere. I can think of few more stupid things to do than replace parts before knowing if there is a failure or not.

Do you work at a car dealers by any chance Sandyt ?
Rolling with laughter

Post #554044 16th May 2020 9:27am
Sandyt

No didnt misunderstand your post the +1 meant that I agree with Pete anyway wish you luck finding the fault

Post #554046 16th May 2020 9:57am
uzp315

Sorry... I probably wrote it all in a rush. Doing ten things at once as I usually AM..

Will try and clarify a bit...

First off, I tried to explain what i have checked in my diagnostic process. The main reason I wanted to explain what I have already tried is because if I had left that out, then replies would have referred me to the wiki article on fixing the rear wiper motor, but i have already taken the steps detailed in the wiki.

Then I said I do not want to buy a new one, if I have missed something in my diagnostic process. This seems a sensible approach to me.

Then I agreed that yes, I will buy a new one if I haven't missed something simple in my diagnostics, but I want to be sure first.

So with not many replies, I came back and asked again, if anyone else can let me know if I have missed something.

I have already accepted that getting a new one might be the best thing to do. But, if I have missed something, then I will be wasting my time and my money to buy a new one and fitting it when that is not the source of the issue. So I would have a nice new motor, but one that still doesn't work. No point in doing that.

Sandy - Was your post telling me that "Yes sausage, it sounds like you have checked all the right things, if it still isnt working, then it is time to get a new one". Or were you just suggesting i should buy a new one regardless - sorry Sandy, It was not clear mate and thanks for replying on an otherwise quiet thread!
Thumbs Up

Post #554047 16th May 2020 10:09am
Sandyt

From the looks of it you have done everything that I did But that doesn't mean there isn't some other bit of magic someone else has tried - after repairing mine 3 times I gave up and bought a new one which luckily enough fixed the problem.
I got fed up of taking it to bits
Perhaps you can take it out and try it on the bench to make sure ?

Post #554049 16th May 2020 10:42am
uzp315

I am fed up of taking that part of the car to pieces as well.

I replaced the rear parking camera, and had to do that five times, once because the wrong kind of camera was sent by mistake and in the wrong box (PAL vs NTSC). Then a replacement came and when fitting it I cut the cable too short, removing what i thought was a simply junction box in the cable, but it turned out to be a critical component on the wires. Then another replacement, but by now it was mid winter and my soldering in the cold and the wet didn't hold up, so I had to get under there again. Then the housing unit filled with water and damaged the waterproof camera, so another replacement arrived, and finally I got it right.

And I have been in that area several times to work on the wiper motor as well. The interior plastic trim that fits over that area inside that tail gate probably wont last many more cycles of removal and refit because the plastic lugs seem to snap off easily.

Post #554051 16th May 2020 11:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1