Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2007MY Headunit replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked Everything you listed is the sort of things that an Android system was designed for... Nav, Dab , Blue Tooth, iPhone, iPod, Digital TV, DVD, USB, Micro SD and the ability to add aps while smurfing the web... How is that a down grade?

Yes you could get something like an Alpine Multi Media Centre, and then blow a few grand upgrading to something near to the Android spec, and you wouldn't be able to add apps Shocked

Please don't get me wrong, when I changed the head in my ffrr I went for the more basic unit that wasn't Android as I didn't want constantly play with the configuration, I was happy with Radio, Nav, BT, DVD, iPod and TV! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #460447 11th Dec 2017 11:01pm
gizze

United Kingdom 

I have seen every incarnation of the Chinese units, some based on Android you can configure and add to and some that are not. None have impressed me.

For me a head unit is about the things it does that you don't think about.

A slick GUI that responds well is one of the main things, I want 2 presses at most to get to where I want to be. Then you have things like a decent screen, zero reflections, extremely bright when needed, but also it needs to have a decent ambient light sensor so as the cabin dims so does the screen, and with that I want it to change to a night mode when the cabin gets dark enough, a massive bug bear with the OEM system in the Range Rover.

Also, when I get in the car I want the radio to detect it is me from my phone and set all the settings how I have configured them, so the buttons I use most on the main screen, the radio on 5 live or LBC, same when my wife gets in, it detects her and loads her settings, Xmas Gold on the radio or whatever tut it is she listens to, it has her address book in the nav loaded rather than mine etc. etc.

It is all the little things that make a decent system so much nicer, set it up once and then forget it.

Plus these days all my music is from Tidal, I want that in the car, and I want to be able to see the album covers on the screen so when choosing music it is a quick glance and one press, not faffing about.

All the Android devices have felt more like using a tablet than a car radio, personally I hate them. I get that many manufacturers use Android too, but they put it into a much slicker GUI that works in a car.

I like my FFRR a lot, the only thing that lets it down is the infotainment system, and so I would happily pay decent money for a system like the Alpine I had in our ML, it does make such a difference. Porsche 911 (996)
2015 BMW 5 Series Touring
Not got a LR of any kind at the mo, and got itchy feet.

Post #460451 12th Dec 2017 12:02am
miggit

United Kingdom 

At the end of the day you pay for what you get, I managed to replace my system for under £200, and I was more than happy with that... The sort of spec you're talking about sounds like it'll cost as much as the car... but then I have to admit that most of the things you say you want I have never herd of, so they must be post 1980!
The good old days when mobile communication was a walkie talkie or 2 tin cans and a bit of string, music was either the radio or a cassette tape, which had a handy feature to stop you over playing it... it would self destruct after a few goes on the auto reverse tape machine!

And the other thing is that to change the head in a post 2005 ffrr you have to buy the not so cheap £300+ adaptor... I'm not so sure that many peeps will be doing that...

After all one of the main reasons for the 'Android' type upgrade is to fix a knackered ffrr system and add things like Bluetooth, something that the 2002-2005 didn't come with, and do away with the cassette player, as that is a little obsolete! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #460491 12th Dec 2017 9:42am
gizze

United Kingdom 

I agree, for the early systems they are a great way to get some decent features, I just think that for many, the only things that let down the 2007-2010 Range Rovers is the infotainment system.
Rather than upgrading to a 2010/11 to get DAB etc. a newer system like the Alpine might be a better choice.

I doubt if I am alone in that thinking? Porsche 911 (996)
2015 BMW 5 Series Touring
Not got a LR of any kind at the mo, and got itchy feet.

Post #460739 13th Dec 2017 3:29pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Any Radio / Nav system that's non LR is an improvement.... They were good in their time, but virtually dated from the start.., and very expensive to upgrade, my 2003 had a cassette player Shocked ... where do you get a cassette from Rolling Eyes ??,
ie. if you have a pre 2007 adding Bluetooth is an expence, digital TV as well, and if you possess one of those new fangled iPoder's it's an arm and a leg to integrate it... not to mention the silly price LR map upgrades...... Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #460750 13th Dec 2017 5:33pm
Thegingerone

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Hi guys, we’re there any updates on this?

I’ve got either a fried IHU or radio unit, either way I’m looking to take out the standard screen and replace what’s there with after market using that connects2 (CTKLR05) wiring harness

Has anyone used this kit with the logic 7 setup with success or does it not give the functionality it claims

Thanks in advance

Post #558601 22nd Jun 2020 1:58pm
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Look at pages 17-18 on here

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic29219-255.html Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #561326 13th Jul 2020 9:37pm
WB

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Check out the Naviplus system which leaves the factory headunit in place and adds Carplay/Android Auto - a few of us have ordered for 2010-12 cars but it is available for 06-09 too. PM me if you're interested and I can put you in touch with the guy I dealt with for a discount.

Post #561445 14th Jul 2020 4:34pm
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I looked at this and the American version which is a bit cheaper but both need a bodge I’ve leaving on aux in and also you can’t skip tracks from the steering wheel. Also for the price of it you could give the whole ice a refresh’s nd have change and gain dab too Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #561463 14th Jul 2020 5:57pm
WB

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

The main advantage for me is keeping all the factory functions such as the 4x4 screen, Tv and Dual View and keeping the original headunit. Naviplus does have steering wheel track skipping by the way. As for the AUX in it doesnt really bother me as its very quick and easy to flip back and forth. I guess all depends on your priorities. It was also really important for me to find a supplier with solid support and a track record of decent customer service

Post #561469 14th Jul 2020 6:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12